Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here's a linux help page that wouldn't exist for windows....

• 16-12-2016 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44044

Firstly, this is not a windows vs. linux thread or attempted bashing etc. etc.
    I'm running a pi and just started it after not having used it for about 2 months; it won't connect to wifi.....the link above offers suggestions on how to resolve it.

The means to resolve it being; delving directly in into the etc directory to edit the configuration files via "editor of your choice".
    FRC, i'm using an edimax usb dongle which specifically advertises it as being perfect for the pi. It's blinking blue and has been detected etc. etc. as both a usb device and network interface. The interface is available through the gui (wlan0) and even the wireless network name is shown.

Upon putting the key in and pressing ok "nothing happens"; absolutely nothing at all.....would windows be different? 
    Links like the above appear for every and any problem you might have with linux; these problems don't really exist in windows....i've used linux many times over the years and have always had such issues.....many distros and over many hardware setups....
    I want to use raspi and so I have to start following that troubleshooting guide....but it's just business as usual for me as far as setting up maintaining linux is concerned.

In my experience linux should not be compared in anyway to windows; it might be fair to say that linux is a more advanced system, that can be configured in anyway imaginable via text editor; and that it should not be relied on to function from the gui "always" but that's just wrong.....often you run into stupid startup problems too that aren't easy to fix and sometimes just not worth fixing when a reinstall would be quicker.....kernel panics for instance...
    Can I be so unlucky with many distros and hardware setups?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Here's one for Windows:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

The fact of the matter is that the same physical hardware will experience issues no matter what operating system it runs.

What is different is the manner in which the issue is fixed.

Yes, Windows (and I must admit, I am a big fan of Windows 10) permits you to fix such issues in a nice and easy, point-and-click manner. Such tools are not always as polished for Linux. But that's because you have what is essentially an enterprise-class operating system shoe-horned into personal computer hardware. With that comes extensive baggage and practices that are simply not present on Windows.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

> this is not a windows vs. linux thread or attempted bashing
    really?

if you don't like linux just put windows on your pi, I don't see what you're getting all worked up about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭limnam

Yeah, I'm not really sure what point you're trying to make here.

You're using what's essentially hobbiest hardware really designed for tinkers yet complain because you have to do some troubleshooting?

If you're not comfortable with linux use something else.

Advertisement