Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducks

Options
  • 16-12-2016 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi lads

Just wondering looking for some info.. going for some ducks going to be decoying and using duck callers.. just wondering any info you'd suggest.. just tying out for the craic I've a few hen mallard decoys and mallards decoys I've about 7 in total I can buy more if I have to? Thing is that I won't be shooting in massive lakes ( one of the spots I have I mind floods and holds some decent numbers of ducks not big at all) what would ye suggest lads? I've called in some mallards in local river before just practicing..

Just go into duck shooting so any tips anything helpful would be great.. won't be shooting on massive lakes just small local wee lakes. Not filled with ducks either

Also what time is good for duck decoying?

Also just as hides sakes what do I need? Any links to a decent hide?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Crow Pigeon and Pheasant

Also what time is good for duck decoying? .

Hi sorry not sure I'll be much help with what I say! I've never shot ducks but yer best bet is to watch the place yourself for a few days and keep an eye and see when they are there! Phil

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ericslevin

I'm shooting ducks years weather its off estuarys, ponds or floods. 7 decoys be loads and any time is in the evening is good to decoy ducks. Once there hitting somewhere, they'll come back. Remember be well camouflage and stay still and keep the dog in tight if you have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

ericslevin wrote: »
    I'm shooting ducks years weather its off estuarys, ponds or floods. 7 decoys be loads and any time is in the evening is good to decoy ducks. Once there hitting somewhere, they'll come back. Remember be well camouflage and stay still and keep the dog in tight if you have one.
    Hi

Thanks for the reply I'll have a look for a camo net, don't have a dog with me but the spots I'm on about are not not and normally shallow. Just wondering do teal com into mallard decoys ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ericslevin

Hi

Thanks for the reply I'll have a look for a camo net, don't have a dog with me but the spots I'm on about are not not and normally shallow. Just wondering do teal com into mallard decoys ?

They sure do. I was sitting on a pond couple of years ago with 4 mallard decoys and I shot 3 teal and 2 shoveller off it, so just goes to show you. This particular pond between myself and brothers have shot wigeon, shoveller and tufted duck off of it. Very rare to see them ducks on a pond unless beside an estuary.

Advertisement