Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking to lose abit of weight

• 17-12-2016 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭mickwat155

Hey guys,

Im looking for some help and guidance im currently 5ft 9 and im weighting about 13 stone im planning on giving myself 8 weeks after christmas if I was been realistic and cut out the junk food and eat more healthily and exercised a certain amount every day what could I expect to drop to in that length of time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

mickwat155 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Im looking for some help and guidance im currently 5ft 9 and im weighting about 13 stone im planning on giving myself 8 weeks after christmas if I was been realistic and cut out the junk food and eat more healthily and exercised a certain amount every day what could I expect to drop to in that length of time?
    Why not start now and not after Christmas.

You can eat healthy and still eat too much.

Count calories and see what you are actually consuming. No estimates. Read the nutritional labels and buy a food scales

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Use the My Fitness Pal app to log your calories from food and exercise. It's reasonable to aim to lose two pounds per week - with possibly a bigger loss in week one. Any faster and the weight won't stay off and it won't be sustainable in the long term. If you eat reasonably healthily over the next two weeks you'll make it easier come Jan 1st!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I was similar to you OP, 5'8" at the start of the year 86kg, now 72/73kg since September, done feck all excerise, not saying you shouldn't but basically cut out all the crap, no takeaways, biscuits, sweets, crisps etc etc, I ate four times a day, shredded wheat or porridge for breakfast, fruit & natural yogurt mid morning & a couple of digestives, a small salad with ham & cheese, or tuna or sardines & two digestives for lunch, dinner in the evening was good quality meat from a butcher & veg, no potatoes, pasta or rice, after a few months I plateaued at 75/76kg & illiminated sugar from tea & coffee, this seemed to kick-start another 4kg loss, it took me 9 months to lose 13/14kg

I didn't weigh any food or download any apps, just took a sensible approach but I was very disciplined & and extremely consious as regards portion size as it looked on the plate & just ate until satisfied not full if you know what I mean

I didn't eat after 6pm

So since September, I eat as above Monday to Friday & then if I fancy a curry or a pizza at the weekend, grand & my weight is very stable

Excerise will be good for your heart & mind but not necessarily for weight loss, it's all about the food choices & portion size

If you like your beer & wine, they will probably have to go

I realise all the above is very unscientific but it worked for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭Smoked Tuna

ford2600 wrote: »

Some interesting information! Thankfully I am single and living in an apartment so I will not be stocking up on tempting food. However If I were living at home there would be alot of temptations particularly around Christmas.

Will still have to be careful as there are temptations in work and obviously during the festive period.

A plate of food will do and no going back for seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

Eat just enough to keep you functional. If you're sitting down for a meal you're eating to much. Try and always be hungry but not drained-->feeling dizzy? Great, thats nearly the sweet spot-->have 1 teaspoon of beans/peas out of that tiny tub you'll start keeping with you just for such an occasion. Forget exercise, you have to eat to do it. Do a few pushups/situps/sqats/lunges before bed if you want.

Don't let anyone prepare food for you. You'll eat it.

Will take 3 days to get into this zone, once you're in it's easy, don't slip out of it as you probably won't be able to get back into it.

Weight will fall off and it'll just keep falling, stop a week after whenever 2/3 people tell you're starting to look sick cuz your face is getting thin. Won't take long at your starting weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Eat just enough to keep you functional. If you're sitting down for a meal you're eating to much. Try and always be hungry but not drained-->feeling dizzy? Great, thats nearly the sweet spot-->have 1 teaspoon of beans/peas out of that tiny tub you'll start keeping with you just for such an occasion. Forget exercise, you have to eat to do it. Do a few pushups/situps/sqats/lunges before bed if you want.

Will take 3 days to get into this zone, once you're in it's easy, don't slip out of it as you probably won't be able to get back into it.

Weight will fall off and it'll just keep falling, stop a week after whenever 2/3 people tell you're starting to look sick cuz your face is getting thin. Won't take long at your starting weight.

The OP wants to improve food quality and cut out junk to become healthier and drop weight as a result.

That means making sustainable changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

OP, I was in a similar situation to yourself 18 months ago, I'm 5'10 and was just over 13st. I had a weakness for pints and crap food, and had a poor diet full of carbs.

I started going to the gym a couple of times a week lifting weights and doing a bit of running. I also completely changed my diet which is now based primarily around the following:

Oats, eggs, wholegrains, Quinoa, potatoes, beef, chicken, salmon, lamb, and lots and lots of fruit & veg. This is much easier if you know how to cook.

The weight fell off and I've never felt better. The exercise is highly enjoyable. If you don't have time for the gym get a heavy set of adjustable dumbells and a fold-away bench.

Plenty of scope for the odd treat or night out too if you follow the above most of the time.

You'll make tremendous progress quite quickly if you do it properly, and will look noticeably different within 6-8 weeks.

The OP wants to improve food quality and cut out junk to become healthier and drop weight as a result.

That means making sustainable changes.

Main goal is lose weight.

You can do it the "right" way and faff about with strava/fitness pal/eating right/don't eat this and he might have some lost by next xmas or you can cut it right back to a couple of teaspoons to stay a step ahead of dizzy now. Start it now and don't stop till its all gone, the literally lower weight everyday on the scales should be enough incentive for anyone that wants to do it. If you can't go without your takeaway then you're fooling yourself and you'll always be starting something to lose something until you're in the grave.

Let him make his sustainable changes from a clean slate in March. Throw out the big plates in the press good first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I was similar to you OP, 5'8" at the start of the year 86kg, now 72/73kg since September, done feck all excerise, not saying you shouldn't but basically cut out all the crap, no takeaways, biscuits, sweets, crisps etc etc, I ate four times a day, shredded wheat or porridge for breakfast, fruit & natural yogurt mid morning & a couple of digestives, a small salad with ham & cheese, or tuna or sardines & two digestives for lunch, dinner in the evening was good quality meat from a butcher & veg, no potatoes, pasta or rice, after a few months I plateaued at 75/76kg & illiminated sugar from tea & coffee, this seemed to kick-start another 4kg loss, it took me 9 months to lose 13/14kg

I didn't eat after 6pm

Fair play to you and your weight loss but that's near 300 cals a day in biscuits. Which is a fair chunk of a decent deficit. Cutting them out would allow you to eat after 6.

Not eating after six is basically not eating for more than half the day. Definitely no app required.

• Advertisement

You can do it the "right" way and faff about with strava/fitness pal/eating right/don't eat this and he might have some lost by next xmas or you can cut it right back to a couple of teaspoons to stay a step ahead of dizzy now. Start it now and don't stop till its all gone, the literally lower weight everyday on the scales should be enough incentive for anyone that wants to do it. If you can't go without your takeaway then you're fooling yourself and you'll always be starting something to lose something until you're in the grave.

Let him make his sustainable changes from a clean slate in March. Throw out the big plates in the press good first step.

No problem with ditching the junk. But it's easier to make adjustments now than starve and then try to make another big change to fins something sustainable. Eating healthier will sort out the weight

Good solid trolling here.

You're talking about literally starving yourself. The body will eventually start breaking down muscle tissue as well as the fat and he'll end up looking ghostly thin, never mind what it'll do to his metabolism and general wellbeing.

A sensible diet with a moderate calorie deficit and some exercise is the way to go. He can eat as much veg as he wants as the calories are practically negligible. There is absolutely no need to be walking around dizzy from hunger.

mickeyk wrote: »
    You're talking about literally starving yourself. The body will eventually start breaking down muscle tissue as well as the fat and he'll end up looking ghostly thin, never mind what it'll do to his metabolism and general wellbeing.

A sensible diet with a moderate calorie deficit and some exercise is the way to go. He can eat as much veg as he wants as the calories are practically negligible. There is absolutely no need to be walking around dizzy from hunger.

I was doing diets/exercise for years all the way up to my heaviest of 16st 1lb. Had enough and started teaspoons/no exercise all the way down to 12st in a few months. My wellbeing went through the roof looking at the cursed weight finally disappear with nearly no effort after the initial first few days.

Not for everyone I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭mickwat155

Why not start now and not after Christmas.

You can eat healthy and still eat too much.

Count calories and see what you are actually consuming. No estimates. Read the nutritional labels and buy a food scales

it would be alot easier to start after christmas for me when all the temptions to gorge on the unhealthys would be gone, ive always been conscious about my weight but i never had the will power to do anything about it.. i recently bought a bike through the cycle to work scheme and i got a punch bag in argos and ive asked the mother to get me a pair of running shoes this year instead of something else i dont need so i know i can do it.. thanks for your input thou :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Fair play to you and your weight loss but that's near 300 cals a day in biscuits. Which is a fair chunk of a decent deficit. Cutting them out would allow you to eat after 6.

Not eating after six is basically not eating for more than half the day. Definitely no app required.

A standard digestive is 20 calories. He isn't eating 15.

A standard digestive is 20 calories. He isn't eating 15.

They're somewhere in the region of 65-75.

Not even a Marietta is as low as 20.

I don't think even the little lidl gluten free digestives are 20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I was thinking of rich tea, haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I was thinking of rich tea, haha

They're nearly 40. Not 20

• Advertisement

Yeah but it was my only little treat & I like them , once I had my dinner I used to be a bugger for crisps or a sambo later on in the evening, a lot of it was habit, not so much hunger so just cut it out, I'm not a dietician or an expert in fitness, can only give my weight loss experience, can't say I was ever really hungry eating what I detailed but I was committed, I ate at 7am, 10.30am, 1pm & 6pm, I wouldn't have thought that was too unreasonable

Just checked, never checked before, 71kcal per Macvities digestive

Yeah but it was my only little treat & I like them , once I had my dinner I used t

I read/seen on tv they're allowed legally be out by as much as a third with how they work that out, so add a bit on.

Yeah but it was my only little treat & I like them , once I had my dinner I used to be a bugger for crisps or a sambo later on in the evening, a lot of it was habit, not so much hunger so just cut it out, I'm not a dietician or an expert in fitness, can only give my weight loss experience, can't say I was ever really hungry eating what I detailed but I was committed, I ate at 7am, 10.30am, 1pm & 6pm, I wouldn't have thought that was too unreasonable

I can relate. It's real easy to just mill into a box of Malteasers, knock back a coke and scoff a bag of crisps after a long day and maybe a workout. It all adds up fast.

For me once I can that habit it's looking at other aspects. That 'false hunger' around 11.30 for example. Too easy to munch a danish or some such.

I find the likes of biscuits really 'sneaky'. It feels like nothing, they're very moreish and you're most likely going to have 2 or 3. I just don't walk down that aisle in the supermarket anymore.

I'm trying to come up with some decent breakfast with eggs but no bread. I love couple slices of brown soda with my eggs but that's 250 cals when butter is added on. Prob more.

Any ideas welcome.

I'm trying to come up with some decent breakfast with eggs but no bread. I love couple slices of brown soda with my eggs but that's 250 cals when butter is added on. Prob more.

I wouldn't beat myself up over a breakfast of 250/300kcals, enjoy your eggs & two slices of soda bread, that's not going to be a problem IMO as a breakfast

Ah yeah, in the normal run of things it's grand but I've 3.5 kg to shift and it's an easy win if I can replace with something daycent.

eta, that's 250 cal just for the bread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 73 ✭✭Lukeskyrunner

Bad advice, whats wrong with sitting down to a piece of grilled chicken, a sweet potato and some mixed veg? A meal like that would only have 400 or so calories and you have controlled the amount you will eat because your only getting what you put on the plate. If you aimlessly snack on things there's no control there.

Ah yeah, in the normal run of things it's grand but I've 3.5 kg to shift and it's an easy win if I can replace with something daycent.

eta, that's 250 cal just for the bread.

Maybe change the bread, can't think of the brand but some 'more healthy type breads' are about 70kcal per slice so two slices & two eggs would be about 280 & would be quite filling

Any ideas welcome.

Grate some potato and cauliflower, mix together, cover and store in the fridge. In the morning shape some of the mixture into hash browns and fry in coconut oil, or do them on the George foreman with some low cal spray. Should be tasty and fairly low calorie.

I make these with sweet potato all the time. Delish

Advertisement