Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phil Collins - Aviva Stadium - June 25th

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭board stiff

Just to bring it back to discussing Phil's concert. We thoroughly enjoyed it, it lived up to my expectations anyway. What pleased me was the great reception Phil got, and of course Mike Rutherford when him and the latest Mechanics played. Particularly for Phil because it shows a real commitment and desire to perform through what must be some level of discomfort, at least in getting onto the stage. But you wouldn't have guessed it from his performance. There might have been one or two songs trimmed from the set list but like a previous poster mentioned I or my partner didn't feel short changed.

A dream would be to see Phil reunite with Mike and Tony for a Genesis tour but I am so glad I got to see him live.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

lambayire wrote: »
    I'm missing the radio ads this week. I wonder what will be replacing them now (gig-wise).

Kings of Leon.
    Brief, 3 customer "2 tickets for the price of 1" offer last week.
    "Extra production seats released!" is this week's angle.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pinkman wrote: »
    A mate of mine who worked at the event said he was told there was 32,000 paid ticket holders with 20,000 tickets given away from free but only 10,000 of those showed up. Total = 42,000. He said there was over 49,000 for Robbie Williams, with very few free/comp tickets.

you can see figures for previous years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviva_Stadium#Concerts

Highest being Neil Diamond at 50,108

Lowest being Roger Waters 24,210 (which was seated so unfair to compare) Rihanna was 29,017

ACDC is listed as 50,000 so is seemingly just a made up figure or approximate, but properly did sell out, and looked properly full.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've had an awful case of post-concert blues since Monday evening. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭SnipSnop

From our side it looked pretty packed. Class gig. Sadly all I got.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Final comment on attendance. The numbers I saw were broken down by stile/entrance (other than pitch). Numbers were much higher than for Robbie. For example one stile had 3,400 for Phil compared to 1,800 for Robbie.

Sections of the ground that were closed off for Robbie were open for Phil due to the position of the stage and view.

Every person that enters the ground must have a ticket so they can be counted.

The problem with total attendance figures is that it is not 100% accurate especially if the figures are published by the organization rather than the venue.

Leinster Rugby for example would take the attendance and add the season ticket holders to the figure. They got caught out when they claimed there was 53,000 at one match.

Max attendance is 51,700 for football/rugby. They counted the season tickets twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Thunder77

I have been watching this thread for the last few days and yes the gig was amazing, Phil put in a fantastic performance and delivered a truly great show, the only thing i was hoping for was that Mike Rutherford would join him for the two Genesis numbers he did but sure you can't have everything
    Now with regards the question of who pulled a bigger crowd Phil or Robbie, i was at both shows and Robbie clearly had the bigger crowd, the stadium was packed for him, it was completely full and totally sold out, sure it sold out on the first day, there were plenty of empty seats in the top tiers of the stadium for Phil and i mean blocks of empty seats whereas Robbie was totally full, anyone who went to both shows would agree 
    Phil pulled a decent sized crowd but Robbie was way more full

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Tbh this whole robbie v Phil things is completely weird.

Who cares which of them had a bigger attendance.

Thought the Phil gig was great and much better than I had anticipated given circumstances. Glad I got the chance to see him Once more

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Uriel. wrote: »
    Who cares which of them had a bigger attendance.
    Promotors and artists care, which in turn leads to punters being curious, as it will show how high a ticket price is sustainable, I think Phil Collins cost a fair bit more. Many people are stuck for cash so hold off on buying tickets if they can. By tracking what happens at gigs you can also predict what will happen at similar ones in the future.

The promotors and/or ticketmaster are apparently doing a lot more tricks these days, if you saw with happened with kings of leon it seems very underhanded tricks were used -and screwed over many punters who panic buyed crap tickets. Now you could get 2 for the price of 1 offers from 3 (phone company), and loads more were released.

Green day tickets "sold out" ages ago, they were going well over face (€65) on seatwave a week or so ago. Now you can buy them on ticketmaster and they are as low as €35 on toutless

• Registered Users Posts: 31,898 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

More English dates released. Think I might do Manchester!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Mars Bar wrote: »
    More English dates released. Think I might do Manchester!

He's in Hyde Park tonight. Hope last night's rain that washed out Green Day manages to avoid him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

lambayire wrote: »

I'm missing the radio ads this week. I wonder what will be replacing them now (gig-wise).

Seems Punchestown is now the flavour - for the end of July.

That's one gig I'll avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

65,000-70,000 people in Hyde Park Friday night.

Very touching post on Instagram from Nic Collins and worth a read.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWBQAIPjwMo/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

The sky arts channel has Phil on now, channel 121 on sky, making of 'face value' album.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement