Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Prince Charles ever ascend to the throne?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Unless Charles dies before his mother, he will succeed her. That's how the monarchy works, however much people want William and Kate to jump the queue.

I'd agree. And on top of that, Charles more than any other member of the royal family has seen how much the media have intruded into his family's life. Realistically himself and Diana were the first royal couple that got so much media coverage. True, they are public figures and can expect to be in the papers, but some of the stuff published in the past was an intrusion on their privacy.

I suspect he would take up the role (whether he wanted to or not) to give William and Kate a chance to raise their children out of the public eye as much as possible, because inevitably when William becomes king he will have even more duties and there will be even more media attention on himself and his children. If the queen lived even 5 more years, and then Charles knocked another 10-15 out of being king after that, William would be in his fifties when he becomes king and his children would be adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

@rainbowtrout That's probably best for all involved, yeah. It's hardly ideal to be raising the kids in that sort of intensive atmosphere, especially now that media is so ubiquitous. Even in the princes' time, it wasn't nearly as intrusive as it is now, and from the sounds of it, it didn't really do Harry much good, whatever about William.

At least the elder child is in the limelight for a reason. It's got to be tough to be a second child in that sort of circumstance. All the crap of it and always in second place anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

I'd agree. And on top of that, Charles more than any other member of the royal family has seen how much the media have intruded into his family's life. Realistically himself and Diana were the first royal couple that got so much media coverage. True, they are public figures and can expect to be in the papers, but some of the stuff published in the past was an intrusion on their privacy.

True, actually. Although, in the wake of Diana's death, I think a lot more protection has granted to young royal children. So even if William was king, George and Charlotte would still be quite sheltered from all that. Only official photos released by their parents or candid shots from their official royal duties, rather than the kids getting papped every time they show their faces in public.

Still, with memories of all that still raw in Charles' mind (and William's, to be fair), it would be perfectly understandable if they took extra precautions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Pickpocket

[/B]

Erskine Childers?

Erskine Childers was a British-born Irish citizen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

The Queen is an incredible person. The world will stand still when she goes. Her funeral will be massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

The Queen is an incredible person. The world will stand still when she goes. Her funeral will be massive.
    It wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

Can't see the British monarchy lasting too long when she's gone, she was a steady operator, and respected worldwide. A Royal's Royal.

The rest haven't a clue. It'll be a mess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

It wont.
    All world leaders will attend, the commonwealth etc. It will be huge. British and Irish TV will be dominated by it for at least a week and a bit.

I think the Queen will out reign the king of Thailand, who according to Thai's reigned for a bazillion years!
    I met the queen & prince Philip when they were here, and even the most anti Royal would've been nice to them. They were like someone grandparents, which they are I guess!
    They are both so old, so small & so fragile looking that no one could be mean to them just because they were born Royal.
    You must remember that the queen was never even meant for this life, she only became queen because her uncle abdicated. When she was born, she was never born to be queen. She had to change her whole life.
    Charles will be king when the queen dies, that's the way it goes, he could abdicate the throne, like his grand uncle, but I would imagine he has lived his life listening about how his grandfather's brother let everyone down, he won't do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

Regardless of opinions of the British monarchy, Charles has been in training for the job all his life.

There is no way he'll pass on the job

Exactly. Who could be more qualified. Love his CV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Well, no, because the head of state is also the head of the Anglican Church. You do see that there's a bit of a conflict of interest in having a Catholic heading the Anglican church, right?

It's like complaining that a Muslim can't become Pope.

Just a slight correction, she is the head of the church of England (and a few others). There is no head of the Anglican church, although the archbishop of Canterbury is considered first amongst equals.

That's why some Anglican churches accept gay and female clergy, others don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

Just a slight correction, she is the head of the church of England (and a few others). There is no head of the Anglican church, although the archbishop of Canterbury is considered first amongst equals.

That's why some Anglican churches accept gay and female clergy, others don't.

Fair point, yeah, my terminology was a bit confused.

Advertisement