Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding on the Go

Options
  • 17-12-2016 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I have a query that I would love some help with...
    I have recently started weaning my 6 month old baby girl. I am wondering the best way to heat her food when we're out and about. I'm using all my own homemade food and I have the Tommee Tippee flask but I am finding this very awkward to put the little bowl into and get out again. I know a lot of places now won't heat baby food or provide water so I'm hoping some of you might have some tips and advice on what I can do. Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I got mine used to eating it warm or cold. If I was away for the day /weekend I'd bring my bottle warmer and id have the food in a little pot that fits in to it and warm it that way. You'll always find a socket somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Definitely get them used to eating any temp - it will make your life so much easier! Also at that age they can just eat some of what you're having - some of your sandwich or some bread or oatcakes and avocado etc. That makes it easier too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Yeah just bring food that doesn't need heating, or if you're eating somewhere yourself at the time just give them some of that. I definitely never brought a flask, I can't remember heating anything other than in friend's microwaves. I do remember some restaurants or cafes offering to heat food but what I had was either fine cold or he was getting some of our food anyway. I often gave him cold fish pie or stew etc, he still ate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

If there is no history of allergies at six months they can eat anything you're eating (except honey & nuts) so no real need to bring food other than formula if bottle fed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I have an eight month old, she's my second.What I do goes along these lines.....if I'm going to someone's house, I'll bring my own tub and feed her, heat it in a microwave or whatever.If we're elsewhere I either give her an extra milk feed when out, or bring a pouch of shop food which I spoon feed her at room temperature. If we're out for say morning coffee or something, I'll give her bits off my plate.At six months it would have been tiny corners of toast, or something like that.You could also bring a banana and mash it right down or a fruit pouch.At six months baby is small enough to be able to skip the odd solid meal (replace with milk), if needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Agree with all above. Some handy no cook foods like banana mashed with yogurt or avocado work well when out. The pouches of food or jars are no harm when out and about especially if you cook your own otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

My wee man is the same age and I either take what I've made myself and give it to him cold, or give him a shop bought packet/jar. I've only started giving him the shop bought this week, it won't be very often but I want him to get used to different flavours and tastes. Plus when i go back to work it will be easier to know that if I don't have food made up I know he will be able to take from a jar. I still haven't given him any solids so I'd not be comfortable giving him food of my plate... I'd rather he get it at home first in case he chokes or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I tend to give my little lad (almost 9 months) finger food or a bit of what we're having when we're out, I also tend to keep a couple of fruit pouches as a "just in case".

Advertisement