Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Opinions on skoda Octavia 1.6

• 17-12-2016 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

Looking for opinions and experiences of skoda Octavia .
    Are they reliable. Any expensive breakdowns .how much for a typical service. What's the fuel economy like in 1.6 diesel 110bhp engine
    Thinking of getting a second hand style one. Either this or a Corolla.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The 1.6 does have an issue with the EGR which costs €800-1000 to replace.
    Corolla is less likely to go wrong but the 07 onwards model is quite small inside and they're a bit sluggish.

Aren't you doing small mileage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The 1.6 does have an issue with the EGR which costs €800-1000 to replace.
    Corolla is less likely to go wrong but the 07 onwards model is quite small inside and they're a bit sluggish.

Aren't you doing small mileage?

About 30 km per year.

Thought the Octavia was big inside and bigger seat than corolla but I'm worried about the reliability of the octavia and resale value vs the corolla.

Would the warranty cover the erg issue and what would the resale value be like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Resale on Octavias and corollas would both be quite good. This would be evident in the price you pay for a used one.

What year are you looking at?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Resale on Octavias and corollas would both be quite good. This would be evident in the price you pay for a used one.

What year are you looking at?

161 Octavia or will go 171 corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

You get much more car with an Octavia and VW reliability. Toyota's aren't waht they used to be! Don;t worry about the EGR on the Octavia when buying a 161

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Biglad wrote: »
    VW reliability.

I don't know if VW's reliability would inspire me to buy a car.

Sure that's why you are a toyotafanboy :-)

We had an Octavia previously, now a Superb and an A6 on the way. Had A4's and a6's before and never any hassle.

I did get a letter concerning my Superb and emissions, but that's only minor ;-)

I find that hard to believe. New Toyotas are probably on a par with with a new VW in terms of lack of reliability, a lot of the new range of 'yotas are not very nice to be in though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Its got a big boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Biglad wrote: »
    You get much more car with an Octavia and VW reliability. Toyota's aren't waht they used to be! Don;t worry about the EGR on the Octavia when buying a 161

Unless the EGR fails after the warranty expires in 2 years time.

• Advertisement

It would make it hard to buy any car if you try to anticipate on anything failing outside warranty...does the EGR issue still apply to the 161 models?

I'm sure Toyota's and anything the VW group produces are/is at par. I do think that Skoda offers better value for money however. And yes I agree on the interiors of the latest Toyota's...not my taste.

kala85 wrote: »
    About 30 km per year.

You might be better off walking

Just wondering about resale.
    I could see the Toyota holding its value better than the Skoda. Very impressed with the skoda space inside. Seems like a good deal as long as nothing goes wrong on it.

Researching skoda and VAG on the internet and it seems to be a mixed bag of reviews. Skoda octavia has performed well in the jd power survey and lots of posters very positive about them , but some saying they are prone to lots of faults.

On the other hand, I always though Toyota to be very reliable.

How would the mpg compare on the two cars - Skoda 1.6 110 bhp and Toyota Diesel d4d.

You might be better off walking

sorry 30,000 km per year ! wish it was just 30km per year. Would save a fortune on fuel.:)

I don't think Skodas are quite as good value these days as they used to be. Their prices these days are not that far off VW. Skoda are no longer a budget brand, haven't been for some time and their prices and equipment levels reflect that. Spec an Octavia or Superb half decently and you're starting to look at serious money very quickly.

In saying all that, Toyota are not exactly generous with their equipment levels either and I'm no fan of their current interior designs. The 1.4 D-4D has been around for over a decade now so is pretty reliable if a bit limited in power.

I bought my Superb Estate brand new in 2015. Full leather, DSG, 170bhp, all singing and dancing and paid 37K. You'll not got anything of that spec in VW or Audi, not a hope. Maybe they are no longer the 'budget' brand they once were but there still is very good value to be had.

The price of a new Superb is pretty much on a par with a similar spec Passat these days. 37k now gets you a Superb 2.0 TDi 150bhp Style manual, a Passat 2.0 TDi 150bhp Highline Business Edition manual costs nearly the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I find that hard to believe. New Toyotas are probably on a par with with a new VW in terms of lack of reliability, a lot of the new range of 'yotas are not very nice to be in though.

Agreed. I was in a new avensis recently. I know people say it is great etc but my God the interior really didn't float my boat.

Agreed. I was in a new avensis recently. I know people say it is great etc but my God the interior really didn't float my boat.

I doubt many say the current Avensis is great at anything. It's an old car, the same model since 2009 and on its second face-lift. There is even talk now that Toyota are going to kill it off soon rather than replace it with a new model. Sales in this segment are shrinking but nearly all its compeditors do the same job better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

bazz26 wrote: »
    I doubt many say the current Avensis is great at anything. It's an old car, the same model since 2009 and on its second face-lift. There is even talk now that Toyota are going to kill it off soon rather than replace it with a new model. Sales in this segment are shrinking but nearly all its compeditors do the same job better.

The Avensis will not be replaced and that was decided before the current model came out. Best hope is a rebadged Camry but I think the axe has fallen on that now too.

Incidentally I liked the 2l Avensis I drove recently. Then I drove a Mondeo and realised the Avensis was old feel. I didn't like the Mondog either but it showed up the Toyotas shortcomings.

The CHR has a lovely interior up front too. Lexus interior designers were brought in to sort it and you can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭chicorytip

bazz26 wrote:

What about the 2016 facelifted version with the BMW supplied diesel engine? A major improvement - at least in the opinion of the motoring press. I've always liked the design of the current version of the Avensis. It has a kind of understated elegance. 🚘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

chicorytip wrote: »
    What about the 2016 facelifted version with the BMW supplied diesel engine? A major improvement - at least in the opinion of the motoring press. I've always liked the design of the current version of the Avensis. It has a kind of understated elegance. 🚘

See above. It's a welcome improvement but still an average car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Own a 152 1.6 110bhp octavia myself. 45.000km on it so far and apart from servicing every 15000km has never missed a beat.

Excellent car... cannot fault!!

matt70iu wrote: »
    Own a 152 1.6 110bhp octavia myself. 45.000km on it so far and apart from servicing every 15000km has never missed a beat.

How much would a service cost typically

How much would a service cost typically

1st Service was 129, oil, filters, and various small consumables

2nd service was 149 oil filters, including polen filter.

3rd service 149 oil and filters, two new tyres needed on front.

I didn't bother with the service plan at the time, if I had, only thing I would have to pay for is the tyres!!

The maintenance contracts are much of a muchness, over 3 years they work out more expensive, but they are a nice way to avoid a service "lump sum".

The maintenance contracts are much of a muchness, over 3 years they work out more expensive, but they are a nice way to avoid a service "lump sum".

Yeah I seem to remember having my calculator out at the time and deciding it wasn't worth it given the already low servicing costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I don't know if VW's reliability would inspire me to buy a car.

They told me that they do 98mpg. Isn't that worth buying......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

Toyota has gone downhill in recent years, and their interiors have become cheaper and nastier than ever, but they are still more reliable than anything VAG do, but that's not a very high bar.

Lantus wrote: »
    They told me that they do 98mpg. Isn't that worth buying......

You got that from the Grand Tour lol

matt70iu wrote: »

Meant to ask. What mpg would you get.What kind of roads motorway or national.

Meant to ask. What mpg would you get.What kind of roads motorway or national.

Real world works out at between 65 to 70mpg.

I drive a mixture of regional, and national roads with a good chunk of motorway thrown in for good measure. Approx 130km per day.

I have gotten over 75 but that was deliberately driving like a granny to see what I could get out of it:)

Advertisement