Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't access my old C drive over USB

Options
  • 17-12-2016 12:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

I'm having trouble accessing my old C drive that had boot problems. It worked fine as a data disk when I swapped it into the old optical drive bay after installing a new HDD for my C drive. I've since bought a larger drive to use in my bay but I can't access the original C drive when I use a SATA-USB connector. Putting it back in the bay shows it still works but it does not show up in Disk Management over USB. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks!

Edit: I got it to show up in Disk Management but it now says it is 16384GB when it's only a 1TB disk.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 489 ✭✭AngryDiMaria

My guess is the drive is not being powered, just connected via the sata?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

Yeah I thought so, I can hear and feel it spinning though. I'll try a different SATA cable, or maybe take an old portable drive apart and use that instead.

Connected a spare SSD using same adapter and cables and it works fine.

Cianmcliam wrote: »
    Connected a spare SSD using same adapter and cables and it works fine.

The ssd doesn't need power because its 2.5", your old drive is 3.5" and needs power.

Sorry, should have mentioned this is from a laptop, 2.5" 1TB drive. IT's the fact that I can see it when connected to the motherboard SATA connectors but not over USB that is confusing me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Sorry, should have mentioned this is from a laptop, 2.5" 1TB drive. IT's the fact that I can see it when connected to the motherboard SATA connectors but not over USB that is confusing me.

Does it show a Drive letter in disk management? Maybe if you assign one it will show up in Explorer.

mordeith wrote: »
    Does it show a Drive letter in disk management? Maybe if you assign one it will show up in Explorer.

I've been trying to assign a letter but the only option I get when I right click it is 'convert to Dynamic Disk'.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The USB will only provide it 500mA max which often isnt enough, especially with older drives.

Get a USB-SATA with external power, or use dock/cradle.

If you only need to transfer data from the drive do this. Power down your PC, open it up, connect a spare power cable to the drive, connect the sata-usb cable to the drive and the USB end to your laptop, power up the PC and it should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

if Theres a Spare sata data port and and spare sata power port on the motherboard use that to power the pc and transfer data to it.
    500ma from the usb port is not enough power to use a 1tb drive .
    or use the sata cables from the pc dvdrom drive.
    switch off pc before you connect up the sata power and power cables .
    and switch off power to the pc, from the esb socket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, have you tried different USB cables and different USB ports on the laptop? I have a laptop with four USB ports, two of them are beside each other and neither of those adjacent ports can power an external drive but the other two ports can. Similarly, I have a few USB cables from different sources, one of them came with an old Nokia mobile phone and that cable can't deliver power to an external HDD.

So my advice is to experiment with different cables and different USB ports.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

usb 2 , older ports only provide 500ma power,
    USB 3 ports provide 900ma max power.
    i don,t think thats enough power for a 1tb drive especially if its 3.5inch in size.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Sorry, should have mentioned this is from a laptop, 2.5" 1TB drive.
    ED E wrote: »
    The USB will only provide it 500mA max which often isnt enough, especially with older drives.

Get a USB-SATA with external power, or use dock/cradle.
    riclad wrote: »
    usb 2 , older ports only provide 500ma power,
    USB 3 ports provide 900ma max power.
    i don,t think thats enough power for a 1tb drive especially if its 3.5inch in size.

Ric lad, you really need to read through the posts before offering advise as you may add confusion to the situation.

Advertisement