Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which computer should i buy?

Options
  • 17-12-2016 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi All.

I am going to buy a desktop.
    Space saving is important so all in 1 would be good. 24 inch screen would be nice. I may as well get a machine with a bit if a decent processor so thst in 2 years time it doesnt slow down to nothing.
    I have attached 2 pictures of a hp at currys and a lenovo at argos. Both have i3 processors. 8gb ram etc. I am guessing that the hp would be fine for home use and 150 cheaper.

Thanks.

Regards.
    Micheál

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

michealkc wrote: »
    Hi All.

I am going to buy a desktop.
    Space saving is important so all in 1 would be good. 24 inch screen would be nice. I may as well get a machine with a bit if a decent processor so thst in 2 years time it doesnt slow down to nothing.
    I have attached 2 pictures of a hp at currys and a lenovo at argos. Both have i3 processors. 8gb ram etc. I am guessing that the hp would be fine for home use and 150 cheaper.

Thanks.

Regards.
    Micheál

They would both be fine for general use but if you could solve the space issue a standard desktop would offer much better value for money. None of the ones above come with a full spec CPU. They have U processors which are the ones you would find in a laptop. Nothing wrong with them per se but I think if you are going to the desktop route you should get as much power/value ratio that you can. Otherwise you might as well just get a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭michealkc

mordeith wrote: »
    They would both be fine for general use but if you could solve the space issue a standard desktop would offer much better value for money. None of the ones above come with a full spec CPU. They have U processors which are the ones you would find in a laptop. Nothing wrong with them per se but I think if you are going to the desktop route you should get as much power/value ratio that you can. Otherwise you might as well just get a laptop.

Hi.

Thanks for the advice. I do not know about the difference between laptop and desktop processors having a u processor. What is a full cpu called in lettering? How do I identify it?
    I will look it up.

Hi again.

How does an i3 4170 t processor sound?

Thanks

That would be a better processor in general but not worth the price differential IMO (especially if it is just day to day stuff you're doing).

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

michealkc wrote: »
    Hi again.

How does an i3 4170 t processor sound?

Thanks

Another low powered cpu - this one is a bit faster than the aforementioned U cpu.

U = ultra low power
    T = lower power
    No letter = standard power
    K = standard power, with ability to be overclocked

• Advertisement

That would be a better processor in general but not worth the price differential IMO (especially if it is just day to day stuff you're doing).

Perhaps there is something out there tahat you would recommend. Even if it was a tower computer. For 800ish all in or less

zbluebirdz wrote: »
    Another low powered cpu - this one is a bit faster than the aforementioned U cpu.

U = ultra low power
    T = lower power
    No letter = standard power
    K = standard power, with ability to be overclocked

Thanks for reply.

Here is the wishlist.
    Something that will run and not slow down for more than 2 years.
    A nice crisp 23/24 inch non glare, matte, screen.
    Good value for money (has to be less than 1000)
    I would love ssd as I heard that start up etc is super fast.

Not asking for much, I know.

Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The i3-4170T is a very fast processor and for regular use has zero difference compared to the regular i3-4170. It's slightly slower on paper but this will show no difference in things like browsing the web, email, movies, music, etc at all. The 'U' spec processors are also considerably slower on paper, but again, in casual pratical desktop use they're perfectly good and will be for a considerable time. By the time there's a noticable difference between the i3-4170T and 'U' model laptop processor in desktop use, the whole machine will likely need replacing. You're talking years down the line, so I wouldn't worry too much to be honest. An SSD will make the biggest difference as you're already aware, so target that rather than worrying about different model i3's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Buy online rather than Currys for better value and better specs.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Build it yourself if you want the most bang for the buck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

SSD means faster startup time, i prefer to buy a pc with a large hardrive,
    1tb 1000gig or more ,
    ssds are good in laptops as they use less power .
    if you are using a pc does it make much difference if a non ssd drive takes
    30 seconds more to load up ?
    once windows loads up you will not see the difference between ssd vs sata drive .
    ssd drive will be 500gig or less ,vs 1tb sata drive.
    I Buy a pc then i buy the monitor ,as prices specs on monitors change
    so quickly.
    ssd drive are smaller and more expensive than standard sata drives .

riclad wrote: »
    1tb 1000gig or more ,
    once windows loads up you will not see the difference between ssd vs sata drive .
    so quickly.
    ssd drive smaller more expensive than standard sata drives .

That's ridiculous. When it's so easy to add hdds to a desktop then an SSD is the first thing I'd get. Plus it makes a big difference if you use the SSD for programs/games that require loading of large amounts of data. 3.5" large capacity sata drives are cheap anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

riclad wrote: »
    1tb 1000gig or more ,
    so quickly.
    ssd drive are smaller and more expensive than standard sata drives .
    Solid state definitely makes a huge difference. Particularly over time with fragmentation mechanical disks slow down big time.
    You can get hybrid drives now which have solid state storage for OS and mechanical disk for storage in the one unit. I wouldn't advise anything but SSD these days being honest! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Still havent found out if Riclad is a chatbot or just a hose of bad advice and off topic ramblings.

OP, why oh why are you posting screenshots? Thats one way to guarantee its harder for the membership of this forum to help you if they have to go and search every item. If you cant post links yet just add a space:

www.curries.ie -> www curries ie etc. Save everyone some time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Buy online rather than Currys for better value and better specs.

Where is best to buy online?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 john0272

You can get great computers here: dragonflair.com

Advertisement