Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does a spare barrel need a serial number

Options
  • 16-12-2016 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Any serial number stamped on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Barrels arent serial numbered for the 10/22 just the receiver is serial numbered :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭1jay1

cw67irl wrote: »
    Barrels arent serial numbered for the 10/22 just the receiver is serial numbered :)

I know this is the norm but as its a aftermarket barrel I thought it would have to be stamped by the dealer who brought in the barrel..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

1jay1 wrote: »
    I know this is the norm but as its a aftermarket barrel I thought it would have to be stamped by the dealer who brought in the barrel..

After market barrels that are already chambered in any calibre that are then made available for sale must be sold only to some holding a FAC for that calibre. You are entitled to hold another chambered barrel by Irish law for the same calibre without question, If the barrel was not chambered it would not require a FAC..

• Registered Users Posts: 31 grasncov

Any serial number stamped on it?
    No, a barrel is not required to have a serial number on it.

darg wrote: »
    How many rounds have gone through it?
    Around 2000 rounds of sk standard plus

• Advertisement

grasncov wrote: »
    No, a barrel is not required to have a serial number on it.

Any aftermarket barrel fitted in this country is required to have a serial number on it FYI

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Any aftermarket barrel fitted in this country is required to have a serial number on it FYI

Can you state your source for this.

4) The unique marking referred to in paragraph (2) or (3), as the case may be, shall be engraved upon an essential component of the firearm concerned, the destruction of which would render that firearm unusable.

Is this the piece your relying upon

This is the part that was brought to my attention recently...

Part 1
    Where a firearm to which the Directive applies is manufactured in the State, the unique marking shall comprise a human readable identification consisting of:

(a) the name of the manufacturer;

(b) the name of the State;

(c) the PULSE identification number of the manufacturer;

(d) the unique serial number of the firearm; and

(e) the year of manufacture (if not part of the serial number).

Example:
    Alfa Firearms Limited
    IRELAND 9999 001/2010

Part 2
    Where the State is the place of import onto the Community market of a firearm to which the Directive applies, the unique marking shall comprise a human readable identification consisting of:

(b) the name of the country or place of manufacture;

(c) the unique serial number of the firearm; and

(d) the year of manufacture (if not part of the serial number).

Example:
    Alfa Firearms Limited
    NAME OF COUNTRY/PLACE OF MANUFACTURE 001/2010”.

• Advertisement

This is the part that was brought to my attention recently...

Part 1
    Where a firearm to which the Directive applies is manufactured in the State, the unique marking shall comprise a human readable identification consisting of:

(b) the name of the State;

(c) the PULSE identification number of the manufacturer;

(d) the unique serial number of the firearm; and

(e) the year of manufacture (if not part of the serial number).

Example:
    Alfa Firearms Limited
    IRELAND 9999 001/2010

Part 2
    Where the State is the place of import onto the Community market of a firearm to which the Directive applies, the unique marking shall comprise a human readable identification consisting of:

(b) the name of the country or place of manufacture;

(c) the unique serial number of the firearm; and

(d) the year of manufacture (if not part of the serial number).

Example:
    Alfa Firearms Limited
    NAME OF COUNTRY/PLACE OF MANUFACTURE 001/2010”.

From my understanding that has no relievance to a rifle barrel it only refers to a firearm i.e the receiver .

Part 1 is for a firearm made in ireland
    Part 2 is for any firearm imported into ireland

Well I can assure you that the interpretation of above by a Gunsmith here has led to ALL custom builds being recalled to be appropriately stamped, and by appropriately I mean all of the above info stamped on the barrel - regardless of weather or not the barrel was pre-chambered entering the country. I was told by another RFD that if he imports a pre-chambered barrel and screws it on he becomes the "manufacturer" and has to stamp the barrel.

The barrel isn't an essential component as the firearm will still discharge without it. same as the stock, it's the receiver I take to be the essential component they refer to in the section I quoted above.

Only if the original barrel had the serial number of the firearm, as is the case with some firearms

Does anyone want to buy it??😂

The barrel isn't an essential component?? I can't see how a rifle can fire without it...what holds the round, the boltface? I disagree with you on that point. Regardless of our opinions wouldn't you agree that someone who's business operates under this legislation would have a clear idea of what exactly needs to be done to comply?

I think we've derailed this thread enough could the mods seperate this into another thread on the need to have serial numbers on barrels

The barrel isn't an essential component?? I can't see how a rifle can fire without it...what holds the round, the boltface? I disagree with you on that point. Regardless of our opinions wouldn't you agree that someone who's business operates under this legislation would have a clear idea of what exactly needs to be done to comply?

It's laughable that you believe all RFD's have a clear idea of the firearms legislation. They are some of the least aware after AGS

I never said ALL RFDs, I was clearly referring to the RFD / Gunsmith who is recalling his builds so he can comply with the legislation I highlighted above. I "assume" he sought clarification as he is only acting now on something that was passed in 2010 - this would suggest that he was "enlightened" recently.
    Whats laughable is you believe that a barrel is not an essential firearm component and should be treated the same as a stock or trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Which gunsmith is recalling all their custom builds.

I have specifically checked this in the past with the firearms officer and if the original barrel wasn't stamped with a serial then there is no need to. They also explained it would be need if you had two barrels chambered in different calibres for the rifle, as with something like a CZ 455 which can have either .22LR or .17HMR. However the barrels on the CZ are serialized. The Ruger 10/2 are not.

As for RFD knowing the law, thats a joke, I've been given so much misinformation to RFDs in the past, I wouldn't trust a word (law wise) out of their mouths. My advice here, do your own research and also ask her, there are guys here that know huge amounts of knowledge are willing to help.

If all essential parts where to be serialised then firing pins, hammers, triggers etc would all need to have serial numbers.

If you head down to Harbour House and almost every 10/22 being shot with have an after market barrel on it, not one of them with a serial number of it.

So my question still stand, does anyone want to but it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

What is your lowest price. I have plans to buy one after Christmas but if the price was right I'd consider it now.

The one good thing out of this **** talk is it's keeping your ad at the top of the list :)

PSXDupe wrote: »
    Which gunsmith is recalling all their custom builds.

I have specifically checked this in the past with the firearms officer and if the original barrel wasn't stamped with a serial then there is no need to. They also explained it would be need if you had two barrels chambered in different calibres for the rifle, as with something like a CZ 455 which can have either .22LR or .17HMR. However the barrels on the CZ are serialized. The Ruger 10/2 are not.

As for RFD knowing the law, thats a joke, I've been given so much misinformation to RFDs in the past, I wouldn't trust a word (law wise) out of their mouths. My advice here, do your own research and also ask her, there are guys here that know huge amounts of knowledge are willing to help.

If all essential parts where to be serialised then firing pins, hammers, triggers etc would all need to have serial numbers.

If you head down to Harbour House and almost every 10/22 being shot with have an after market barrel on it, not one of them with a serial number of it.

I'm afraid some FOs haven't a clue, some don't know the difference between a 6mmBR and a 9mm handgun so most of what they say can be taking with a pinch of salt, its a short straw job at most stations.

If you have 2 different caliber barrels for the same action, thats 2 licenses - I agree there - I have 3 different caliber barrels for 1 action and 2 of those barrels are customs.

The RFD I'm referring too builds rifles for a living, he built rifles for me and now he wants them back to stamp ALL the above info on the barrel and quoted the above legislation as the reason for the recall.

We can all interpret the legislation whatever way we want, but when your Gunsmith contacts you and tells you what I'm relaying here - what are you to do?

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    The one good thing out of this **** talk is it's keeping your ad at the top of the list :)

I'm not complaining! Thanks lads. It just shows the different opinions that are out there, and the lack of information about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I've split out the chat posts from this for sale advert into this thread to allow the discussion to continue.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

I'll add to this without quoting posts but to further highlight the inconsistency and clarity of the topic.

Currently importing a few firearms and moderators and using a great rfd.

Department of Justice refused to process the application on the grounds that the two moderators didn't have serial numbers.

Photos and rfd backed explanations, through the rfd, were ignored.

Final compromise, which I should not think there should be compromises, is that the moderators should be imported bearing the serial numbers of the Firearms

This is completely wrong in my experience but don't ever assume logic, law and application, come into the same sentence in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭garrettod

amadablam wrote: »
    ....Final compromise, which I should not think there should be compromises, is that the moderators should be imported bearing the serial numbers of the Firearms.

So what happens if someone ever wants to use one of the Mods on a different firearm to the one with the same serial number (be it a substiute firearm, if either firearm or mod has been sold on to a new owner etc) ?

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

After market barrels that are already chambered in any calibre that are then made available for sale must be sold only to some holding a FAC for that calibre. You are entitled to hold another chambered barrel by Irish law for the same calibre without question, If the barrel was not chambered it would not require a FAC..

This is interesting, can I source a spare barrel for my Mossberg 500, and just have it sent to my RFD? Or even to my home?
    Or does it only apply to guns requiring a FAC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    This is interesting, can I source a spare barrel for my Mossberg 500, and just have it sent to my RFD? Or even to my home?
    Or does it only apply to guns requiring a FAC?

Page 39
    http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/commissioners%20guidelines%20(as%20amended%2022nd%20oct)%20in%20relation%20to%20firearms%20licensing%5B1%5D.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Excellent clarification, Tackleberry. On the issue of Silencers, the last two lines of page 37, and first two lines of page 38 are VERY ambiguous! A lot depends on the meaning inferred onto the word "must"!

Advertisement