Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC on Fox 22: Van Zab

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭finglashoop

I agree with ganebred. Ufc pushed both too much too soon and both embraced it and well its not going well. Hyperbole doesn't win fights. Though sage can only wish he was as tough as paige

Nunes for the trifecta

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Are you insane?

Have you ever been choked?

I recommend you go let someone sink a choke that deep on you and see how long you stay awake, she fought it for longer than 99.99999% of people could.

Sage tapped before it was even close to sleeping him because he was afraid to go out, Paige decided it was better to go out trying to escape than just giving up the W.

Yup. She was ridiculously composed for someone so close to being choked out for such a long time. She would surely have succumbed a lot quicker only for that. Credit where its due.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Page will be working the desk soon for UFC she has no future in the sport at any high level she may be young but shes so many holes in her game a higher paying easier tv job will suit,
    (

Sage is the same hes just awful really is,his last 3 fights tapped from half guard nearly got his arm snapped off last time at 200 and now this hes awful he genuinely wouldnt get a blue belt of John Kavanagh, you'd have to question his heart too they say he left tristar due to the training being too hard and seems very quick to tap, no problem with tapping but he seems to give in quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Mickey Gall is a very very clever man. To be in the position he's in only being 4-0 is amazing. Looks like a good prospect with a good story and will probably get the whole of New Jersey behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Has the Good Will Hunting howdya like them apples joke been made yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

UFC must be sick two potential big ppv sellers well beaten. Decent card, they should keep Gall and develop him as you wound anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'll be honest. I had to google Dan Hardy. That's a pretty obscure call-out by Gall. The guy hasn't fought for 4 years and it may not even be possible for him to do so. Is there some kind of history between them or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'll be honest. I had to google Dan Hardy. That's a pretty obscure call-out by Gall. The guy hasn't fought for 4 years and it may not even be possible for him to do so. Is there some kind of history between them or what?

He's been talking about looking to come back recently. I presume that's what stirred the call out. Gall is just trying to get his name out there by fighting other 'big' names that aren't very good because he's way too green to be fight proper top fighters. Worked well for him so far.

Hardy would be looking for a marquee fight though e.g. another bout with George - although I never thought he deserved the first one

Dan Hardy at 10% would destroy Mickey Gall within a round. I'm not familiar with the exact circumstances surrounding any possible comeback but he has been sidelined for the last few years with a very rare heart condition .

He is the commentator an analyst for a lot of the European events and he is very good at it too.

Gall would not be the type of opponent that Hardy would be coming back for. If he returned to the 155 division (as he has hinted at) he'd probably be looking at the likes of Diego Sanchez/Joe Lauzon. Not necessarily ranked fighters but big enough names that he could possibly headline a FN card with.

He probably wasn't a big enough name unfortunately that he could immediately come back to a title contention fight/PPV headliner.

Not sure Hardy would starch him, Gall is a terrific grappler he aint getting tapped out Hardy is older now and hasnt fought in years I wouldnt be shocked if Mickey beat him.

• Advertisement

Gamebred wrote: »
    Not sure Hardy would starch him, Gall is a terrific grappler he aint getting tapped out Hardy is older now and hasnt fought in years I wouldnt be shocked if Mickey beat him.

Wait a sec here, we have seen him, submit three absolute grappling duds. Gall is good and shows a lot of promise but lets be realistic.

Beating up a Journalist with zero grappling experience, a 37 year old white belt pro wrestler and newly promoted purple belt Sage Northcut is not adequate experience to take on the likes of Dan Hardy, even after a long lay off. Hardy may be older but he is still only 34 or 35. A life long athlete and competitor in multiple martial arts and he is a bjj brown belt (possibly black by now).

John_D80 wrote: »
    Wait a sec here, we have seen him, submit three absolute grappling duds. Gall is good and shows a lot of promise but lets be realistic.

Beating up a Journalist with zero grappling experience, a 37 year old white belt pro wrestler and newly promoted purple belt Sage Northcut is not adequate experience to take on the likes of Dan Hardy, even after a long lay off. Hardy may be older but he is still only 34 or 35. A life long athlete and competitor in multiple martial arts and he is a bjj brown belt (possibly black by now).

Eh no I've seen him grappling against Gordon Ryan and I'd be quite confident he would out grapple Hardy in mma or pure grappling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,924 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

One of my moments of the year was Sage landing that hammerfist, just beautiful. I cannot stand Gall, as soon as he fights someone that can throw a punch, he will get wrecked.

Poor Page, I like her but she isn't high calibre, and UFC are desperate for her to be. Serious props for lasting so long in that deep RNC, she's definitely a fighter.

Uriah is such a legend, looking forward to his upcoming project with the Always Sunny lads!

Lastly, don't do it Sage!! They are bold boys, don't hang around with dem thugs!

https://twitter.com/MeganOlivi/status/810329618121011200

Eh no I've seen him grappling against Gordon Ryan and I'd be quite confident he would out grapple Hardy in mma or pure grappling.

Anyone that can go the distance with Gordon Ryan is bloody good but Dan Hardy is a different animal to anything that Gall has ever faced in MMA. He would need a hell of lot more than a good ground game to beat Hardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I'll be honest. I had to google Dan Hardy. That's a pretty obscure call-out by Gall.

Oh, that's made me sad. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

Poor Paige. She's a warrior. Great heart. I think her future lies outside mma
    Was she pretending to be asleep?
    Are you insane?

Have you ever been choked?

I recommend you go let someone sink a choke that deep on you and see how long you stay awake, she fought it for longer than 99.99999% of people could.

Sage tapped before it was even close to sleeping him because he was afraid to go out, Paige decided it was better to go out trying to escape than just giving up the W.

I felt she had about 7 or 8 seconds control of staying conscious left and closed her eyes rather than tap knowing the ref would stop it when she closed her eyes and shed get some credit pts not tapping. It was a calculated decision closing her eyes. Just my opinion.

Gall needs to improve his striking a bit and have good match making to allow him to move up sensibly. Another 2/3 fights and if he wins get a top 15 guy. Back to prelims now and build up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

califano wrote: »
    I felt she had about 7 or 8 seconds control of staying conscious left...
    Nobody has control over when they go unconscious when being choked.
    And I've no idea how anyone could predict how long she had left.

From this replay, the choke is locked up at 1:57 remaining. She goes out at 1:40.
    17 seconds is a pretty long choke. You could go out in half that time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Mellor wrote: »

From this replay, the choke is locked up at 1:57 remaining. She goes out at 1:40.

I've slept people in less than 10 with chokes that were less deep than the one Paige went out to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

he's also not fought in over 4yrs, if i was to put money on it i'd go Hardy by Decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

Very true it was a long deep nasty choke, shes one tough cookie. Im not saying for one second it was weakass or she was either but if they have control of tapping shortly before they go unconscious they clearly know how close they are, thats why they usually tap so late when they know all options are exhausted(amatuer fighters you will know often tap far earlier from panic and inexperience). They make a conscious decision to tap. She imo made a conscious decision to tap by closing her eyes rather than physically tapping.

You're even being generous here. We've all seen people choked unconcious in 4 or 5 seconds.

califano wrote: »
    She imo made a conscious decision to tap by closing her eyes rather than physically tapping.

She tapped with her eyes then??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

John_D80 wrote:
    She tapped with her eyes then??????

Blink once if you're unconscious

This is productive, whatever about her skill matching her marketability I don't think anyone should or could doubt her work ethic and determination.

So this card done the best numbers in 3 or 4 years I seen earlier, with a co main and main people thought should be the prelims further proof the general public want freak shows and reality tv stars not fighters who ''deserve'' a shot, stoked for Punks return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

So this card done the best numbers in 3 or 4 years I seen earlier, with a co main and main people thought should be the prelims further proof the general public want freak shows and reality tv stars not fighters who ''deserve'' a shot, stoked for Punks return.

These were never going to be prelims on a Fox card and you know it, any company is gonna give their mainstream attractions top billing.

I've always questioned their pushing/promotion of various fighters used to be done differently when cards were less frequent of course but UFC207 90% of promotion the other night focused on Ronda and no mention of the challenger Nunes, half the time it failed to mention that there is also another title fight on the card.

I scratch my head so often puzzles me how this is working for them surely it would make sense to let the make the public aware of fighters on the rise.

I scratch my head so often puzzles me how this is working for them surely it would make sense to let the make the public aware of fighters on the rise.

This 100%.

Ronda was a star with or without the ufc. Same with mcgregor. They have whatever "it" is.
    Brock is famous for wwe as was cm punk.

Who have they actually built into a star?

• Advertisement

This 100%.

Ronda was a star with or without the ufc. Same with mcgregor. They have whatever "it" is.
    Brock is famous for wwe as was cm punk.

Who have they actually built into a star?

You think Ronda was going to Hollywood without the UFC?

Well Gina did it so...

Well Gina did it so...

So what?

So what?

So there's your answer highly likely

So there's your answer highly likely

Why? Because one female MMA fighter made the jump? Do you not think you're extrapolating Carrano's success a bit?

As for Carrano herself, I think she's done pretty well and is actually quite a good actress but she's a world away from Rousey's level of fame/stardom.

Why? Because one female MMA fighter made the jump? Do you not think you're extrapolating Carrano's success a bit?

As for Carrano herself, I think she's done pretty well and is actually quite a good actress but she's a world away from Rousey's level of fame/stardom.

Nope I don't think so shes an Olympic medalist and she was appearing on Conan before the UFC had a women's division, it's no secret it was launched to accommodate her!

• Advertisement

Yep. Fighters need the ufc. Mcgregor and ronda dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nobody outside serious MMA fans had a clue who either was before the UFC.
    That wasn't going to change without the UFC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yeah, McG was gonna take over the world, one dole queue at a time!

Advertisement