Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motorised bicycle- Christmas present

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

What to look out for? If you intend using it on a public road...look out for the gardai! AFAIK you need insurance (and motor tax) for a motorised bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Wrong forum.
    Thats a motor bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mengele

putting the rules and regulations aside. WHat do I need to look out for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

mengele wrote: »

The Garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Seriously, this is the Cycling Forum.
    Why would you ask questions about a motor bike on this forum?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=577

Here you go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

These are the only motorised bicycles we're allowed to talk about.
    rev-london-2015-fri-Derny-action-4.jpg

Everything else is sacrilege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

We're not trying to be smart btw. Why do you expect us to know about 2 stroke engines?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭mengele

tuxy wrote: »
    We're not trying to be smart btw. Why do you expect us to know about 2 stroke engines?

ya sorry. Probably did use the wrong forum alright in hindsight. If a mod wants to move it to the correct forum that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭SwissToni

And even those with knowledge of motors will never admit it 😉

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OP, we have had a few threads about electric bikes, which provide assistance up to a certain speed. They will help on the hills and do not need insurance or tax if they are below the relevant power limit. Try a search of the forum if you're interested in one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Why would you even bother there isn't much craic to be had on those old contraptions get yourself a pit bike. You'll have plenty more craic and be equally illegal on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Why would you even bother there isn't much craic to be had on those old contraptions get yourself a pit bike. You'll have plenty more craic and be equally illegal on the road.
    50kph on a sit-up-and-beg bicycle? Sounds amusing and terrifying in equal measure. I'll take two!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Lumen wrote: »
    50kph on a sit-up-and-beg bicycle? Sounds amusing and terrifying in equal measure. I'll take two!

There's one in Kilcullen I pass from time to time the feckin racket out of the thing. It's only a loud and louder twist on it. It wouldn't you typical 2 stroke trying to launch the front wheel into the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

You would be very unwise to put the rules and regulations to one side, your life depends on them.

My view? Illegal in the roads if not taxed, insured and regustred.
    Dangerous: a bicycle is not designed to have a motor engine fitted. The torsional forces generated by this will far exceed those the frame and components are designed to take. Are you getting a guarantee? Is there a BS standard for these? Is there a CE mark on the item (as is the law?)
    Environmental: no idea on emissions but I would say those engines are not clean or efficient.
    Noise: They are really loud. I could not imagine it being any 'craic' to be sitting on one.

I have seen a Deliveroo guy going up the quays on one twice and it just looks like a tragedy about to happen. I don't see any 'craic' in that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Beasty wrote: »
    OP, we have had a few threads about electric bikes, which provide assistance up to a certain speed. They will help on the hills and do not need insurance or tax if they are below the relevant power limit. Try a search of the forum if you're interested in one

Somehow, I don't think the OP would be interested in one of them electric bike things :-)

Advertisement