Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hunting dog

Options
  • 17-12-2016 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hi lads.

Just wondering I was thinking of either getting a pup or trained dog ( most likely a springer) for ducks and other game. is it worth prodding out money for the trained dog? Currently am a student and I go back and forth a good lot and I'm willing to spend whatever amount of time nearly every evening... but is that okay for the pup to be going back and forth every week? I herd it's not the best to get an trained dog why so?
    Some questions
    What do I need to train a dog ?
    How do I got about this
    Is there any good videos showing techniques?
    What do I need to look out for if I'm getting a pup.. or should I get one that's a few months old?
    I currently have a springer 8 years old who's great not a gun dog but doesn't mind being around guns I've never teached him or anything.. hence why I'm going for a springer
    Sorry for all the questions..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Ecotone

Maybe buy a trained dog now that is ready to go hunting in the morning . Get a good trial so you are happy with the dog before you hand over good money. Then in the future when you have more time you could train up a pup. This way you will also be able to take the pup out with the trained dog to show it the ropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Just wondering I was thinking of either getting a pup or trained dog ( most likely a springer) for ducks and other game. is it worth prodding out money for the trained dog? Currently am a student and I go back and forth a good lot and I'm willing to spend whatever amount of time nearly every evening... but is that okay for the pup to be going back and forth every week? I herd it's not the best to get an trained dog why so? Some questions What do I need to train a dog ? How do I got about this Is there any good videos showing techniques? What do I need to look out for if I'm getting a pup.. or should I get one that's a few months old? I currently have a springer 8 years old who's great not a gun dog but doesn't mind being around guns I've never teached him or anything.. hence why I'm going for a springer Sorry for all the questions..

I always say get a pup. In my view, you will have a better bond. If he comes from good rough shooting lines the training is in him you'll only need to bring it out. Focus heavily on obedience as a pup and the recall. There is a good book on training spaniels by Joe Irving and I found it excellent. Other than that whistle/ tennis ball and bacon bits are great ways to get them working.. just don't rush the Gun, Get him used to noise the Gun closing eg bolt on an auto etc let it slap.. enjoy and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Great lads..

Am thinking of getting a pup now I actually purchased that book Training spaniels waiting for it to come now.. Just as play as a pup what do you do? what should i avoid when playing with the pup? What should I be teaching him before doing gun training etc?

Cheers.

Am thinking of getting a pup now I actually purchased that book Training spaniels waiting for it to come now.. Just as play as a pup what do you do? what should i avoid when playing with the pup? What should I be teaching him before doing gun training etc?

It depends how old you get him mine was about 8 weeks. First just play with him, bond with him build trust
    ...roll the ball get him used to noise and his name move on to roll the tennis ball for him etc. The book sets out how far you should take it. Remember he will tire easy at such a young age.

It depends how old you get him mine was about 8 weeks. First just play with him, bond with him build trust
    ...roll the ball get him used to noise and his name move on to roll the tennis ball for him etc. The book sets out how far you should take it. Remember he will tire easy at such a young age.

Thanks..

I think training your pup is better in the long run correct ? Bought a book called Training spaniels and going to order another book.. I've the time for the pup especially during summer, are there anything you teach the pup when he's less than 7months old before you start training him? The sit command etc??

Cheers

• Advertisement

I think training your pup is better in the long run correct ? Bought a book called Training spaniels and going to order another book.. I've the time for the pup especially during summer, are there anything you teach the pup when he's less than 7months old before you start training him? The sit command etc??

Obedience..and play retrieving that's all I did

Obedience..and play retrieving that's all I did

Cheers

Have you trained many spaniels yourself how did you get on?

Have you trained many spaniels yourself how did you get on?

I'm on my 3rd and he is spot on for what I hunt. He is out the back at the minute and because I'm wearing wellies tidying up the yard, he thinks he is going shooting and all excited.

Great stuff.. what did you use to help you ? Any DVDs etc?

Cheers

Advertisement