Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outgoing An Post parcel lost

Options
  • 17-12-2016 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

I am wondering if any one can advise. I posted a registered parcel here on the 30th November. Tracking shows: ITEM DESPATCHED FROM LONDON HEATHROW TRANSIT HUB 02-Dec-16 10:48

It should of taken 4 day maximum to reach Gothenburg Sweden. Swedish Postnord were really helpful & said the the item has not entered Sweden.

Based on the above does anyone have any suggestions as to where it might be ? How long are An Post likely to take tracing it ? I have completed the official form.

How long will they leave it before they pay out insurance/compensation ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Were an post not able to answer any of those questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

dobsdave wrote: »
    Were an post not able to answer any of those questions?

I am waiting to find out. They just told me to fill out the form. Hence why I am asking here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

To be honest, only An Post can answer that.

To be honest, only An Post can answer that.

Probably but I was asking in case other people had similar experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Check its not been returned to AnPost. I can't remember the name of the place (google might tell you) but there is an AnPost office that takes all the returned post that isn't addresses correctly. The problem is it also gets post that carriers can't be bothered to deliver. Get the number and give them a call on Monday and they will check if they have your parcel.

I've had perfectly addressed stuff end up there, sorry can't remember the number and can't find it online.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Discodog wrote: »
    Probably but I was asking in case other people had similar experiences.

I posted a registered parcel to Austria in August - it was scanned in Portlaoise and then disappeared.
    I filled out the form, got a written acknowledgement of same from An Post but nothing has happened regarding my claim since then, despite sending several follow up emails.
    The parcel is obviously lost, but they are dragging their heels re paying out on the insurance.

Lumi wrote: »
    I posted a registered parcel to Austria in August - it was scanned in Portlaoise and then disappeared.
    I filled out the form, got a written acknowledgement of same from An Post but nothing has happened regarding my claim since then, despite sending several follow up emails.
    The parcel is obviously lost, but they are dragging their heels re paying out on the insurance.

I think that I would be heading to the small claims court. There must be a T & C that says how long they have otherwise they could just refuse to pay.

Plus the item may have lost its value in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I posted a parcel to London last year. It got as far as Heathrow and then disappeared. I rang An Post who told me the issue was with the Royal Mail and advised me that registered letters tend to go missing there and I would be better sending them by ordinary mail.

Miaireland wrote: »
    I posted a parcel to London last year. It got as far as Heathrow and then disappeared. I rang An Post who told me the issue was with the Royal Mail and advised me that registered letters tend to go missing there and I would be better sending them by ordinary mail.

They had better not say that to me. The whole point of registering is to protect the item.

They will owe me €200. Has anyone gone to the Ombudsman?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

An Post told e recently that the reason my package from Amazon went missing was because the address likely fell off the package.

That's our national postal service in 2016

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I know. These were legal documents that had to be filed. It was beyond a nightmare getting them sent again. To be fair to An Post they were able to tell me where and when the parcel was handed over and to who. Had to wonder what the Royal Mail do with the post. Two years later it has never turned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,090 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

All the delivery companies are struggling at the moment. Since black Friday parcels I'm posting in Dublin are taking up to a week to reach country addresses.
    The media went nuts with parcel motel but the reality is that all the companies are struggling with demand in Ireland. It's down to the massive amount of goods we are buying from the UK because of sterling. 80% increase on this time last year.
    None of this answers your questions but it might give you an idea of what is going on in the background

It wasn't going nuts at the end of November which is why I posted so early for Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It wasn't going nuts at the end of November which is why I posted so early for Christmas.

Black Friday is towards the end of November so it actually was!

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

faceman wrote:
    An Post told e recently that the reason my package from Amazon went missing was because the address likely fell off the package.

faceman wrote:
    That's our national postal service in 2016

Surely if the address fell off the packet, its would be Amazons fault for not applying the label properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Donutz

Discodog wrote:
    Based on the above does anyone have any suggestions as to where it might be ? How long are An Post likely to take tracing it ? I have completed the official form.

I imagine it was probably missorted at Heathrow and dispatched to the wrong country. If that is the case, there is not much An Post can do only wait and hope it shows up on another countrys postal tracking system.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Donutz wrote: »
    Surely if the address fell off the packet, its would be Amazons fault for not applying the label properly?

Have you ever tried to peel an amazon label? They dont come off. His point was AP just make **** excuses when the courier post system fails horribly.

ED E wrote: »
    Have you ever tried to peel an amazon label? They dont come off. His point was AP just make **** excuses when the courier post system fails horribly.

Plus if an address label is missing the bar code will link it right back to the sender. So if a parcel is in the wrong country it should be easy to get it back. I paid €55 postage. I have a declared value of €150, as put on by the postmistress, so I will expect €205 plus some compensation for the upset of a family not getting their presents.

Plus if an address label is missing the bar code will link it right back to the sender. So if a parcel is in the wrong country it should be easy to get it back. I paid €55 postage. I have a declared value of €150, as put on by the postmistress, so I will expect €205 plus some compensation for the upset of a family not getting their presents.

Well, you can't get any compensation for upset to anybody. Plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Yes you can. Have a look at Getting it Sorted. Pm me if you want manager name

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »

^^^^This 100%^^^^

One parcel I sent to my parents in the UK was addressed with the correct address according to Royal Mails website and included the UK postcode. The address was on both sides of the parcel in inch high letters.

It got returned as being incorrectly addressed. The tracking showed it had gone to the wrong distribution depot, out on a van in the wrong county and then returned because obviously the driver wasn't going to drive the 300 miles necessary to deliver it. iirc it took nearly 3 weeks before I found it was sitting in the returned (lost) mail office in Dublin (the return address was also clearly marked in both sides). I managed to get my money back and it sent on for free :)

The problem is once an item is marked as being undeliverable no one bothers to check that it is deliverable or correctly addressed.

my3cents wrote:
    ^^^^This 100%^^^^

But I think it is the an post label that has come off. This is the one that has the registered bar code for tracking

A Boardsie contacted me as they work for this company. I haven't tried them yet but their rates are cheaper than An Post . They are offering a 48 hour service.

https://www.envoy.ie

Anyone used them ?

AnPost Terms & conditions list the compensation available but nothing about the timeframe for investigating losses & paying out.

A Boardsie contacted me as they work for this company. I haven't tried them yet but their rates are cheaper than An Post . They are offering a 48 hour service.

https://www.envoy.ie

Anyone used them ?

For you they will make an extra affort anyway ;)

They know they won't get a good review here if they don't :D

my3cents wrote: »
    For you they will make an extra affort anyway ;)

They know they won't get a good review here if they don't :D

He should provide a special code plus discount for us :pac:

amtc wrote: »
    Yes you can. Have a look at Getting it Sorted. Pm me if you want manager name

He cannot get compensation for the upset caused to a third party. That flies in the face of even natural justice.

The compensation level depends on the value declared at the time of posting
    Consequential loss is not covered

He cannot get compensation for the upset caused to a third party. That flies in the face of even natural justice.

One could argue that a Christmas present, complete with Christmas wrapping etc loses it's appeal months later :pac:

Discodog wrote:
    They will owe me €200. Has anyone gone to the Ombudsman?

Not if you didn't pay extra for insurance. Registered mail isn't insured unless you pay extra

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Not if you didn't pay extra for insurance. Registered mail isn't insured unless you pay extra

My receipt says that insured value of this item is €150

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote:
    My receipt says that insured value of this item is €150

So they won't owe you 200 Euro?

Advertisement