Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hub compatibly

Options
  • 17-12-2016 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭

I have a set of campagnolo khamsins which I need to switch to my work bike which is an 8 speed. The khamains are advertised as 9/10/11 speed. Any chance my 8 speed would work on them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

Might need to slightly bodge a combo of spacers on the inside of the cassette, but can't think of any obvious reason why not if you mean Shimano compatible? Know nothing about Campag or when they might last have had 8 speed, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Re: cassette width, 8=9=10 in shimano. 11 is a tad wider.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I should have mentioned it is shimano hub and I'm running a spacer already on it. I take it that fine then @Alek since the cassette is the same width?

The spacer takes the extra space that 11sp cassette would take. You can just stick the 8sp one now, just leave the spacer on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Alek wrote: »
    The spacer takes the extra space that 11sp cassette would take. You can just stick the 8sp one now, just leave the spacer on.

I thought I read somewhere that the spacer only came into play for 10sp (on 11sp wheels)? In that making the 10sp, Shimano actually managed to make it thinner than the 9sp!

Not sure how that affects the 8sp/spacer combo!

• Advertisement

Interesting. Sheldon Brown says that
    8sp = 35.4 mm
    9sp = 36.5 mm
    10sp = 37.2 mm

So it seems that you will need one or two spacers when going from 10 to 8, and one going from 9 to 8.

I was using 10 and 9 sp cassettes interchangeably without adding / removing spacers, however.

Interesting. Sheldon Brown says that
    8sp = 35.4 mm
    9sp = 36.5 mm
    10sp = 37.2 mm

So it seems that you will need one or two spacers when going from 10 to 8, and one going from 9 to 8.

I was using 10 and 9 sp cassettes interchangeably without adding / removing spacers, however.

Technically correct, the best kind of correct! :p

But the 10 speed includes a 1mm "Low Spacer" as standard, which is totally separate from adding spacers to fit a hub. The 9/11 ones don't have that 1mm spacer.

So lads am I ok with 1 spacer or do I need 2 or am I screwed all together.

So lads am I ok with 1 spacer or do I need 2 or am I screwed all together.

One should do the trick, once everything locks tightly into place. If not then two.

I'd say 1 spacer should be fine, as long as you can tighten the cassette with the lockring normally.

Why not giving it a try? :)

• Advertisement

I'd say 1 spacer should be fine, as long as you can tighten the cassette with the lockring normally.

Why not giving it a try? :)

Will do it tomorrow Alek. Day off tomorrow but my cassette removal tool is work so couldn't do it all weekend so I just decided to pick the brains of people who know more about this than me before I ruined a hub or chain/cassette or all 3

Advertisement