Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storing a firearm

Options
  • 17-12-2016 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

What is the best way to prevent rust when storing a firearm long term.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

I find Renaissance wax very good to preserve wood and metal on firearms, the British museum use it on all their armoury.
    I use it on my old rifles and also keep a piece of wadding rolled up in the muzzle and another in the chamber.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Thanks for reply. I am mostly concerned about the inside of the barrel. The outside has to be protected too and thanks for the tip. But what can I use on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

Thanks for reply. I am mostly concerned about the inside of the barrel. The outside has to be protected too and thanks for the tip. But what can I use on the inside.

You can run the wax on the inside of the barrel but you will need to remove it by cleaning before shooting it again. You only need a small amount. You could put rock salt in your safe to, again this will need to be replenished. How long will the firearm not be in use?

Approximately 6-12 MTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

Does anyone use the gun socks? the slips that are silicone treated, they claim to help prevent rust

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

For long term storage,cosmoline is still the best goo out there if you can get it,failing that,gun grade Vaseline and if you have it,a long plastic sleeve and vac sealer machine.Rust is air and moisture reacting on metal.So deprive the metal of both as much as possible.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Thanks for all of ye're replies. I suppose the hot press would be the best place to store them. I will try and get that stuff Grizzly. Or the gun vasaline. Never heard of it. Would ordinary Vaseline suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/cosmoline-for-firearms

Drop them an email and see if they ship..
    The Vaseline "should" be ok to use.Jus make sure it has a very low water content,or you might want to cook it abit on the stove to get it utterly liquid and to boil off excess water.The stuff we used to use was nothing like the stuff you buy in the chemists.It was greenish in colour and more jelly like.
    Other option is pop down to to the co op or motor factors and get some lithium bearing grease.That stuff is tough as hell,but abit smelly.So maybe not the stuff for the hotpress.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement