Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is "attack the post, not the poster"????

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, time for some clarity.

"Your post is a load of bollox" - attacking the post.

"You are a bollox" - attacking the poster.

(bollox or bollocks? I never know which I should use)

So I think at this stage, if you feel strongly enough about it, perhaps it is time to consider opening a Help Desk thread with specific examples of where you feel you were attacked where the post should have been attacked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 916 ✭✭✭osmiumartist

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Ok, time for some clarity.

"Your post is a load of bollox" - attacking the post.

"You are a bollox" - attacking the poster.

(bollox or bollocks? I never know which I should use)

So I think at this stage, if you feel strongly enough about it, perhaps it is time to consider opening a Help Desk thread with specific examples of where you feel you were attacked where the post should have been attacked.
    Is calling somebody's opinion in the Politics forum "bollox" acceptable.
    Yes/No.
    If yes then we can all feel free to call other posters' opinions bollox, right?
    If no, then why is this post doing so approved by the Politics moderators?

Neatly ignoring all my other examples I see. Is calling somebody "upset" a comment on their opinion? How can an opinion be upset? Please explain.

Here's another one: repeatedly alleging a poster is deliberately misunderstanding something is an allegation of trolling or lying. Take your pick, it has to be one of them. Both of these are infractions, right?
    Why are people (well, one side anyway, again especially if they have a capitalised username) allowed to do this with impunity?

Context is king.

In my opinion, telling somebody that their post is bollox is rude, crude and below the standard of posting I would deem appropriate. However, in isolation and not knowing the context, it is attacking the post, not the poster. Different forums have different etiquette, so what is acceptable in one forum (e.g. the use of the word "bollox") may not be acceptable in another forum.

So again, I encourage you to open a Help Desk thread if you feel strongly enough about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

And that's supposed to refute a bullying accusation?!?!

You clearly have no idea what bullying is. By this logic, the last few pages of this thread shine you in that very light you're trying to shine on others
    One snide remark after another until moderators are forced to close the thread.
    He's right, your debating style does need work.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Context is king.

In my opinion, telling somebody that their post is bollox is rude, crude and below the standard of posting I would deem appropriate. However, in isolation and not knowing the context, it is attacking the post, not the poster. Different forums have different etiquette, so what is acceptable in one forum (e.g. the use of the word "bollox") may not be acceptable in another forum.

So again, I encourage you to open a Help Desk thread if you feel strongly enough about it.
    It's as likely to be dealt with in any meaningful way at the Help Desk as right here. I think we can ignore that suggestion then, yes?
    Now, so you think calling opinions "bollox" needs "context".
    Well I think this is bollox. See what I did there? Now one side gets done for it and the other doesn't. I got done for "pal" while the guy who called me "upset" got nothing. Why? Can you explain how calling someone "upset" is attacking the post?
    when you're having a conversation with people who are threatened by the point you're making
    How is talking specifically about people who are posting talking about their post? IT SAYS "WITH PEOPLE".
    Did you see my last question? If I say you are deliberately misunderstanding my point here then I'm calling you a liar or a troll. It absolutely has to be one or the other.
    You are deliberately misunderstanding my point.

You clearly have bo idea what bullying is. By this logic, the last few pages of this thread shine you in thar very light you're trying to shine on others
    One snide remark after another until moderators are forced to close the thread.
    He's right, your debating style does need work.
    My debating style has been approved by the sites own moderators. I know this for a fact as I have reported posts with this content and it has been deemed fine.
    Why are you so upset? Is it because your opinion is bollox? How the hell can I bully a moderator anyway? The whole concept of that is ridiculous. You are probably only pretending to not agree with me though because you are so upset.

Right. We are done here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement