Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best alarm system for home

Options
  • 17-12-2016 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Just wondering there's loads of companies out there not sure who's the best though. Is a monitored alarm any better than a non monitored?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are lots of options
    Wired/Wireless /Hybrid.
    Monitored, not monitored/self monitored.
    Your best option is get a few companies out to do a proper survey & do you out a system design proposal based on their recommendations.
    You should be looking for perimeter protection covering all accessible windows & doors with inertia sensors & contacts if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The whole point of a security system is adequate response, if you think you can provide a better response that Gardai then go with self monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

kub wrote: »
    The whole point of a security system is adequate response, if you think you can provide a better response that Gardai then go with self monitoring.

How does self monitor work? I get a push message or something on my phone?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That or email or text or voice call.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Atari Jaguar

KoolKid wrote: »
    That or email or text or voice call.

See I have phonewatch and the alarm was tripped before by myself, I didn't get to the phone in time and phonewatch called the Gardai who took over 2 hours to respond. I may not be at home when it goes off self monitored but if I got word and rang the guards instantly would they respond faster than getting an alert from phonewatch as it could be a false alarm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

See I have phonewatch and the alarm was tripped before by myself, I didn't get to the phone in time and phonewatch called the Gardai who took over 2 hours to respond. I may not be at home when it goes off self monitored but if I got word and rang the guards instantly would they respond faster than getting an alert from phonewatch as it could be a false alarm?

You ideally should have contacted the monitoring station after you accidently activated it. You may not be aware of this but as soon as you had switched the system off then a signal to that effect would have been sent to them hence the lack of urgency by Gardai
    I am not making excuses here but I know in fairness to them when they get verified or panic alarms they do respond quickly.
    With regard to Garda response, well none of us registered installers here, or even that particular organisation, despite what they like to claim can guarantee a response by the Gardai to activations, or how long it will take etc.

Now with regard to you calling them and asking them to respond to your own alarm going off, well I am not sure as to what kind of a response you would get to that call.
    A few years ago, with respect to the level of false alarms that The Gardai were responding too, they and our representative bodies came up with technical solutions to cut down on these and this has been successful. As this is a public forum that is all I am going to say in that.
    But there is a process in place for getting a Garda response to burglar alarm activations and that is only through registered and licensed installers, monitoring stations and Garda resources at any given time.

Advertisement