Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow speeds transferring files on LAN

Options
  • 18-12-2016 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Hey,

am having an issue with slow speeds when I am copying files to a hard drive on my network. With a wireless connection I only get speeds of 3mb at most but slows down to 600k! With a wired connection I get 5mb dropping to 3mb!

The hard drive is connected to a TP Link Archer C9 router. The laptop is running Windows 10 and when I do a speedtest for the internet I get 30mb or so on both wireless and wired.

I have disabled the Large Send Offload in the wired connection (no option in the wireless settings) but it didnt make any difference!

Any ideas of a setting I can change/look at to get speeds up to 15mb+?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

File transfer rates are measured in megabytes per second(MB/s). Can you clarify as you are indicting megabits (Mb) not Megabytes?

File transfer is not a great indication of network speeds as it depends on local file caching, file size and disk fragmentation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

degsie wrote: »
    File transfer rates are measured in megabytes per second(MB/s). Can you clarify as you are indicting megabits (Mb) not Megabytes?

File transfer is not a great indication of network speeds as it depends on local file caching, file size and disk fragmentation etc.

MB/s, I can understand there being other factors but to have it so slow cant be down to disk frag! There is something slowing up the file transfer and I was wondering if someone had a suggestion of what I can try to rectify it!

try iperf to diagnose your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

branners69 wrote:
    I have disabled the Large Send Offload in the wired connection (no option in the wireless settings) but it didnt make any difference!

At 5MB/s you're getting at least 40Mbits/sec over your LAN. Slightly more, allowing for packaging of the data (ethernet frame headers). So approx half the bandwidth of a 100Mbs LAN.

May be that one of your connections is only operating half-duplex, possible with a bad cable or older switch or hub.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, I think that message didnt sink in when degsie said it. As Jakey explaine you're hitting 40Mbits/sec which is good to very good for conventional wifi.

The other problem you'll see is SMB is terrible for many small files. Like shocking. So if you copy 1 4.7GB disk image you'll see max throughput but try copy 4GB of "My Documents" and you'll see 10% of that.

Finally, routers dont do NTFS well. At all at all.

1sg7yno.png

So the real answer is, if you want a NAS, buy a NAS. Dont buy a router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Plus, your router is now doing a fileshare via USB2 while trying to do all its other tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭branners69

Cheers for all the replies! I will pickup a NAS in the new year!

Any advice on a decent start off NAS? Around the €200-€300 mark?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

branners69 wrote: »

Why buy a NAS when you can get a HP microserver for ~€150 after cashback?

https://www.serversplus.com/servers/tower_servers/hp_tower_servers/819185-421

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

stimpson wrote: »

There doesn't seem to be any disk or OS in that. While you can get Linux free, you won't get any HDDs free. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

There doesn't seem to be any disk or OS in that. While you can get Linux free, you won't get any HDDs free. :rolleyes:

OPs request is 200-300. Plenty of cash left for hard drives.

• Advertisement

branners69 wrote: »

Check out Synology or QNAP NAS's

• Registered Users Posts: 14,018 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

stimpson wrote: »

Have a look at the software costs for that server ..... and some are needed to get full control.

Advertisement