Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

but they are becoming valuable as more people get into retro gaming and the supply is slowly disappearing so it is a simple case of supply and demand
    It is the same with vinyl now as more peoplare going back to it now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,253 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Retronauts had a podcast on it with a collector who was into collecting since the 90's.

He said he had seen it before. It comes and goes in waves. When he started Atari had a surge in popularity but that died down. Says you are seeing it now with NES, SNES and 32 bit era. The prices will drop in a few years time to a more stable price point but the days of bargains are kind of over unless you are buying lots and selling on the games you don't need.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,814 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I suppose the big thing we have going against us at the moment is the 'cool' factor of vintage gaming. Trash like Ready Player One for example just drives up the prices unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,016 ✭✭✭Doge

o1s1n wrote: »
    I suppose the big thing we have going against us at the moment is the 'cool' factor of vintage gaming. Trash like Ready Player One for example just drives up the prices unfortunately.

:(

Master of the Universe

Doge wrote: »
    :(

You hated it too, you just haven't realised yet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The biggest change with getting games compared to when I was doing so 10 years ago is that there's none available. Feck all listings so have to keep an eye out for some games. I've gotten some games cheaper this time around thanks to email notifications and handy buy it now prices but for the most part nothing is auction anymore, most of it is buy it now. I check listings ending soon to see if there's a cheap grab like a sports title or something but not much going.

These bush 4 way scart switchers are down to half price in the clearance sale at Argos at the moment.

http://www.argos.ie/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=1078701

I wonder are they one of the good types rebranded that don't interfere with the signal much though.

Doge wrote: »
    These bush 4 way scart switchers are down to half price in the clearance sale at Argos at the moment.

http://www.argos.ie/ProductDisplayTRK019?partNumber=1078701

I wonder are they one of the good types rebranded that don't interfere with the signal much though.

I was actually looking at one of them, anyone know if they're any use? I recently noticed the Bandridge switch I was looking at on Amazon is powered and also requires a UK adaptor, bit of a pain to be honest as I already have a million plugs.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I was actually looking at one of them, anyone know if they're any use? I recently noticed the Bandridge switch I was looking at on Amazon is powered and also requires a UK adaptor, bit of a pain to be honest as I already have a million plugs.

Looks like these ones are on the sh1tlist.

http://retrorgb.com/scartswitches.html

Better off buying one of the passives on that list.

I think I have the Hama 3 way scart switcher but in black and works perfectly.

Actually here's a more in depth page about them with a review of each.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/2011/11/23/scart-switch-roundup/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

BGOllie wrote: »

Saw that, but I still don't own an MSX to play it!

And now I want an MSX....

Bugger...

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Mitchomagic

Few cabs listed in the for sale section

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 Roki Vulovic

Anyone have a link for a cheapish Dreamcast console unit only?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A couple of nice PS1 games here,
    THPS2 €10
    Wipeout and Wipeout 2097 €18

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Not so much a bargain as this pinball is wrecked

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-video-games/bally-space-invaders-pinball-machine/1305874715

I was looking for a project pin but this might be too far gone.

$_86.JPG

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Doesn’t look tooooooo bad really. 600 quid is a bit much though !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

eddhorse wrote: »
    Not so much a bargain as this pinball is wrecked

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-video-games/bally-space-invaders-pinball-machine/1305874715

I was looking for a project pin but this might be too far gone.

$_86.JPG
    That doesn't look too bad at all, playfield looks really clean, but would have to see it in person really, the artwork would be simple to touch up, the legs cover the corners, if it was half that price would definitely be worth a punt, no photos of the boards, are they there?

EDIT** first photo there are some lights on the playfield so at least it's powering up.

Whats a good price do you think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

£300 would be a good price for it.

Fully restored it's not really valuable machine. I do think it's a great machine though

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

£300 would be a good price for it.

Fully restored it's not really valuable machine. I do think it's a great machine though

Yeah I'm liking that pseudo Alien/HR Giger vibe is has going to it. Literally has a rip off of his 'Birth Machine' painting going up the sides.

h-r-giger-birth-machine_a-l-9588836-0.jpg?w=550&h=550

Edit; haha, seems the resemblance was a bit too close;

'Bally was sued over the game's artwork resemblance to designs by H. R. Giger. In fact, they ended up stopping production of the game early due to pending lawsuits, although 11,400 machines were still produced. A settlement was reached with Fox studios where royalties were paid to the studio for each pinball machine sold and Fox was also given approximately 3 machines to use for the promotion of the sequel to Alien, named "Aliens".'

I would bet that one or more of the displays would be toast so factor in 220 for a set

o1s1n wrote: »
    Yeah I'm liking that pseudo Alien/HR Giger vibe is has going to it. Literally has a rip off of his 'Birth Machine' painting going up the sides.

h-r-giger-birth-machine_a-l-9588836-0.jpg?w=550&h=550

Edit; haha, seems the resemblance was a bit too close;

'Bally was sued over the game's artwork resemblance to designs by H. R. Giger. In fact, they ended up stopping production of the game early due to pending lawsuits, although 11,400 machines were still produced. A settlement was reached with Fox studios where royalties were paid to the studio for each pinball machine sold and Fox was also given approximately 3 machines to use for the promotion of the sequel to Alien, named "Aliens".'

Also, despite Giger's penchant for putting genitalia into his work, the Invaders machine has improved on the original by having one of the humanoids holding their "member" on [snigger] the upright of the pin [/snigger], with both hands no less!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Also, despite Giger's penchant for putting genitalia into his work, the Invaders machine has improved on the original by having one of the humanoids holding their "member" on [snigger] the upright of the pin [/snigger], with both hands no less!

I didnt even notice that!!

Have a look at this for smut

291015606.jpg

I would bet that one or more of the displays would be toast so factor in 220 for a set

Yikes, it's never cheap but at least I know ;)

Not much of a bargain but might be worth making an offer on
    A Gameboy Micro with a few games for €100.
    No power supply though, but you can get one on Aliexpress pretty cheaply.
    https://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/gameboy-advance-micro-and-2-games/15831214

Another "bargain" although these are uncommon on Adverts.
    A Sega Nomad.

And girlz be lovin' da Nomadz....

Not sure if any mods are done.
    Certainly this would need the screen mod and the battery mod done to bring it bang up to date.
    Not sure if the Everdrive is included either.
    https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/sega-nomad/15848290

The Rage had one about 2 years ago for €250, one of the lads in work even told me to take a long lunch break and cycle from Tallaght to go get it. 2 or 3 of the lads in work were excited at the whole idea. Wish I did. I completely forgot about it, it's definitely on my list but can't spend the money right now...

One of the comments says they go for £250-300, is that true? :O

Master of the Universe

It was incredibly overpriced in The Rage at that time. I think they could have been had for about 100. Would have thought they'd be in the 100-150 band now.

A lot of work needs to be done to them to get them usable. LCD mod for definite as the stock one is a blurry mess.

Battery pack mod makes it feel like it has an infinitely long battery.

Definitely wouldn't be paying that for a stock unit.

• Advertisement

The LCD mod makes it usable and power frugal.
    The battery mod means that you have to charge it twice a year, as opposed the original batteries which who had to change twice a day.
    Caps, oh god yes!
    The seller suggests they've had it since its release, seems unlikely that he or she hasn't been aware of those needing being done.

Advertisement