Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

o1s1n wrote: »
    Here's a pretty crazy lot.

Someone selling one of those old Super Nintendo Magic Doctor things that let you boot games from floppy disks.

What's interesting though is it comes with a box with 'almost every super nintendo game' on floppy disk, along with a home made printed label.

That must have taken an absolute eternity to put together as any game over 1.44mb would have required multiple disks!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nintendo-snes-boxed-development-kit-extreme-rare/303540672854?hash=item46ac6f1956:g:iS0AAOSwC4xelg82

I've somehow got one of those things, I wouldn't imagine they are worth an awful lot now.

Seller isn't coming to Waterford, and I already pushed my luck getting up there a few days before the "lockdown" to collect the cab from Felix

Cathaldub might collect it and store it in his car for a few weeks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I've somehow got one of those things, I wouldn't imagine they are worth an awful lot now.
    I think I gave you that flash unit - they are more of an oddity now, the main use for them now might be dumping your own carts but even then they'd be worth 20-30e but there are other easier ways to do that...but more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Retro Gamer Mag 3 issues for £3 delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Do be careful of those flash dumper thingies, you can very easily accidentally erase cart saves.

I did that with both Super Metroid and Secret of Mana on my first play through of each! (Secret of Mana I was about 70% finished :()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sort of a deal. The Neo Geo Mini International is only $30 from Amazon.com. I know it's not supposed to be that great but lowest I've seen it by far. It doesn't ship to Ireland but some might know people there or use Addresspal US, which does add €15 to it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D1KN661/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_i_FWJQEbSY60XVP

Master of the Universe

Kind of hard to pass at that price!

Master of the Universe

Black 25 inch 4:3 trini in Drumcondra

https://www.adverts.ie/tv/telivision/19673277

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Black 25 inch 4:3 trini in Drumcondra

https://www.adverts.ie/tv/telivision/19673277

People getting ahead of themselves now

I can literally see the nicotine stains on that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

For the experts on here - would you see many 60hz crt TVs in Ireland?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Kylo Ren wrote: »
    For the experts on here - would you see many 60hz crt TVs in Ireland?

Later model CRTs tend to support both 50hz and 60hz, but most were 50hz while CRTs were used here.

It doesnt really matter anyway as the 50/60hz signal rate is only a thing over RF and composite.

If you use RGB cables (which most PAL TVs support and most consoles do too) then you get full colour picture, whether it's an NTSC or PAL consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Inviere

If you use RGB cables (which most PAL TVs support and most consoles do too) then you get full colour picture, whether it's an NTSC or PAL consoles.

If you use RGB on an NTSC60 console, to an RGB PAL50 tv....what actually happens? Never thought of that...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think if it fully supports RGB it will display properly as RGB is an international standard.

If it converts it to composite you'll get a black and white picture.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think if it fully supports RGB it will display properly as RGB is an international standard.

Yep, pretty much.

I was amazed when I figured that out back in the day as for years before I was always under the impression that if I ran a 60hz console on my PAL tv it would be in black and white and that would be that.

Suddenly opened the door up to importing loads of Japanese consoles!

Master of the Universe

Interesting bargain, so remember the Sony LMD 2010 I had on here a while ago? (Think I sold it to you, Kerbdog?)

4:3 and 640x480 native resolution.

There's a dude selling it's little brother, the LMD 1410 for £35 with a flight case. 6 sold, 4 still available.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-LMD-1410-Monitor/264563534947?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

So if it fully supports RGB, it'd have to be a 60Hz screen then I assume?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Inviere wrote: »
    So if it fully supports RGB, it'd have to be a 60Hz screen then I assume?

No actually. It's weird. It will support 60Hz through RGB but not composite.

Had a black diamond TV years ago and went hunting for a european 60Hz tv and took me ages to find one. Didn't realise it would have supported 60Hz through RGB. If only I knew the things I knew then. I only discovered RGB when I randomly bought a GAME brand cable with a tenner I had left over for my then current Gamecube and that was when I finally saw with eyes unclouded (by rancid colour banding and smudgy visuals).

No actually. It's weird.

So hang on, an RGB 50Hz tv will show an NTSC 60Hz image, in colour, & at 60 frames per second? How can that be if the screen can only refresh at 50Hz? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

No actually. It's weird. It will support 60Hz through RGB but not composite.

Had a black diamond TV years ago and went hunting for a european 60Hz tv and took me ages to find one. Didn't realise it would have supported 60Hz through RGB. If only I knew the things I knew then. I only discovered RGB when I randomly bought a GAME brand cable with a tenner I had left over for my then current Gamecube and that was when I finally saw with eyes unclouded (by rancid colour banding and smudgy visuals).

There is a thing such as RGB 50 & 60, most tv I've ever seen seem to support both RGB but there are some that only support 50hz , if you put and RGB 60 signal into that unless you adjust some stuff the picture will roll and not display. How it handles it after that I do not knowknow. RGB is a std but so is pal & NTSC
    Just because a tv supports RGB 50/60 doesn't mean it will run NTSC 60 unless it has processing for that

Edit just reading back above earlier questions reminded me of something I read in relation to GC or Dreacast I vaguely remember reading that depending on the TV a RGB 60 will display on RGB 50 TV, Ive never seen it so can't comment on how it runs.

geotrig wrote: »
    There is a thing such as RGB 50 & 60, most tv I've ever seen seem to support both RGB but there are some that only support 50hz , if you put and RGB 60 signal into that unless you adjust some stuff the picture will roll and not display. How it handles it after that I do not knowknow. RGB is a std but so is pal & NTSC
    Just because a tv supports RGB 50/60 doesn't mean it will run NTSC 60 unless it has processing for that

Edit just reading back above earlier questions reminded me of something I read in relation to GC or Dreacast I vaguely remember reading that depending on the TV a RGB 60 will display on RGB 50 TV, Ive never seen it so can't comment on how it runs.

Ok, so an RGB50 PAL tv will not be able to display an NTSC60 signal....that makes sense. Any RGB tv I've ever used has always been happy with NTSC60, so are the RGB50 PAL's a bit older/less common?

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

PALRGB or NTSCRGB?

Always thought RGB was neither PAL nor NTSC, it was just RGB and that's it. (hence everything always working)

PAL/NTSC was for composite/rf/tv signals only.

Any TV I've ever owned with a scart RGB input has displayed everything I've thrown at it correctly via RGB. Even my folks 80s VCR supported US consoles over it's RGB port.

Will have to have a read into that, might not be as straightforward as I thought!

Edit - after a bit of googling it seems to confirm the above, RGB has no PAL or NTSC encoding, it's just RGB straight.

So you've RGB out of your consoles port, through your RGB cable and into your TVs RGB port. No signal encoding at any point.

If someone could find some info about this mystery PALrgb or NTSCrgb signal I'd love to have a read!

Edit - after a bit of googling it seems to confirm the above, RGB has no PAL or NTSC encoding, it's just RGB straight.

So you've RGB out of your consoles port, through your RGB cable and into your TVs RGB port. No signal encoding at any point.

If someone could find some info about this mystery PALrgb or NTSCrgb signal I'd love to have a read!

So to summarise and simplify this:

What happens if you connect a 60Hz NTSC Snes, to a PAL tv, through RGB, but the tv can only refresh at 50Hz (s there even such a tv? Any RGB tv I've seen is a 60Hz display)

What happens if you connect a 60Hz NTSC Snes, to a PAL tv, through RGB, but the tv can only refresh at 50Hz (s there even such a tv? Any RGB tv I've seen is a 60Hz display)

Oisin summised it well ,RGB is it own thing think of it as a base signal ,pal how it's encoded process it in Europe to work and NTSC for US etc. I believe our encodings somewhat came about due to power outputs from sockets etc 100 @50/60 hz Japan ,Ireland 230v 50hz us

What I was lead to believe happens in the above scenario (RGB to 50hz tv) is you get a rolling picture so would need to access a service menu to adjust one of the holds , some would just accept and carry on as normal but runs at 50hz so visually might be odd.
    Now 2 things of note for me on this is like you I've not seen a 50hz only RGB capable TV but would not have looked for one either,when these where supposedly about, at a and guess mid 80s?
    And my brain fries when I go down the rabbit hole of signal ,refresh rates ,encodings and the likes .
    I thought I read something somewhere years ago!!!! That all crts are capable of RGB and 60hz with a bit of moding (take with a pinch of salt as brain fried !!!!and I've never looked into on bit too many things I don't know stuff about, but think of it like the SNES mods ,it's all in there just need to configure d for what you want )
    Scart makes RGB easier for us in Europe and Japan to check Americans didn't have scart connectors :eek:
    I've also wondered when I heard of rgb50/60 was it a case of a 50hz pal tv(that only took 50hz pal and not pal 60)that had RGB that was capable of 60hz

Also forget that it's NTSC it doesn't matter , it's a RGB signal going to a RGB receiver chances are if the tv takes RGB it will take 60hz

if the tv takes RGB it will take 60hz

That's what I was wondering. So you can't have a PAL 50Hz tv that accepts an RGB signal and displays it correctly...

Master of the Universe

That's what I was wondering. So you can't have a PAL 50Hz tv that accepts an RGB signal and displays it correctly...

Does such a TV even exist though?

We talk about PAL TVs only accepting a 50hz signal - ie 50hz composite, because it's what most people used back in the day. So you'd get a black and white image over composite.

Doesn't say anything about RGB though? I'm still fairly sure all TVs that support RGB just take an RGB signal and that's that.

We don't really talk about PAL/NTSC for example with RGB arcade monitors as they're all just RGB. You plug in a PCB to the JAMMA harness, it pulls RGB video and displays it. Doesn't matter what region the monitor/PCB are from, RGB sits outside of that.

Master of the Universe

Ah I get where you're coming from now (misses this on the previous page)

From my own understanding, the TV itself isn't what's 50hz, it's what it does with the composite signal which determines PAL/NTSC.

In your scenario, I believe the 60hz SNES RGB signal will still just display 60hz on the PAL TV over RGB.

I don't think PAL TVs are technology limited to only actually show a 50hz refresh rate. Might be wrong though, haven't come across one yet! :)

Well if you did it would be "slowed down "and if a true 50hz tv would roll so would need vertical hold adjusted to try and stabilize
    All my tvs here are late 90's maybe early 2000's oldest is my grandfather s which I haven't tried yet (have it years,I need to buy a square battery for the remote to get it to turn on lol)
    Most TVs from early 90s on would be pal 60 so would accept Rgb, I do very vaguely remember in the 90's at one point trying to send a 60hz signal to a tv and not displaying rolling but no knowing anything at the time presumed it wasn't possible with the knowledge that is about know I wonder could it be done but I don't have the tv anymore.
    It's kind of a moot point unless we found an old enough tv that had scart and is confirmed as 50hz or tv engineer that knows these things.

Master of the Universe

It's kind of a moot point unless we found an old enough tv that had scart and is confirmed as 50hz or tv engineer that knows these things.

Is that good enough reason for me to start hoarding more CRTs? :D

'Its for science!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Cheap enough copy of R-Type Final (PS2) up on Thriftify, if anyone's interested.

https://www.thriftify.ie/catalog/product/view/id/43669/s/r-type-final-ps2-2604-5df35de965087/category/10/

Other PS2-onward stuff up there too, if you wanna recreate the feeling of charity shops having something other than FIFA on their shelves. Or, well, just the feeling of a shop at all, frankly. Complete with random pricing and all.

Advertisement