Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Cheap enough copy of R-Type Final (PS2) up on Thriftify, if anyone's interested.

https://www.thriftify.ie/catalog/product/view/id/43669/s/r-type-final-ps2-2604-5df35de965087/category/10/

Other PS2-onward stuff up there too, if you wanna recreate the feeling of charity shops having something other than FIFA on their shelves. Or, well, just the feeling of a shop at all, frankly. Complete with random pricing and all.

One of Retr0's favourites that, never stops banging on about it....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Inviere

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah I get where you're coming from now (misses this on the previous page)

Blame Retr0 :pac:
    Inviere wrote: »
    So if it fully supports RGB, it'd have to be a 60Hz screen then I assume?
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    No actually. It's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Ah I get where you're coming from now (misses this on the previous page)

From my own understanding, the TV itself isn't what's 50hz, it's what it does with the composite signal which determines PAL/NTSC.

In your scenario, I believe the 60hz SNES RGB signal will still just display 60hz on the PAL TV over RGB.

I don't think PAL TVs are technology limited to only actually show a 50hz refresh rate. Might be wrong though, haven't come across one yet! :)

I have a Mitsubishi 21" with a SCART input that only does 50Hz over SCART. I think I still have it stored in case I need the tube. I'll have a look at it again some time to see if there's a vertical hold control inside.

I had a 20" Mitsubishi at the time that had a remote identical to the 21", and it did 50/60Hz over SCART, so these TVs were from the early days of SCART I would say.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty sure there's a lot of cheap TVs that have scart sockets but display composite through the scart port rather than RGB. You'll get a black and white image with them.

Pretty sure there's a lot of cheap TVs that have scart sockets but display composite through the scart port rather than RGB. You'll get a black and white image with them.

Was thinking the same, sounds like a non-RGB scart socket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

if the scart only had composite connected internally then the TV wouldn't be able to accept any rgb signal , console, home computer , vcr, dvd... it would just be a black screen.
    So it's more a case of knowing it the console or device outputs rgb+sync ... and if your cable is indeed using the rgb lines :)
    If it does , you should be playing in full colors at the same speed as the console.

Keep in mind :
    - That 50hz/60hz signal is coming from the console/device not the TV.
    - The AC frequency of 50 and 60 hz has nothing to do with the refresh rate and seem to confuse the issue. Since the the current is converted from AC to DC ...to AC...to DC a few times in the crt , the frequency of our AC carrier has no implications for the internals of the CRT really.

A RGB signal is composed of 4 lines. red green blue and sync (which contains both the horizontal and vertical sync ) .
    A 60hz signal can throw the vertical deflection circuit out on the chassis and can sometimes lead to the picture rolling . i can be adjusted on arcade crts, and some home tvs by trim pots on the chassis. Luckily It's a ball park value so a rough adjustment will do and the vertical circuit will lock in place between those values. The faster vertical sync will also make the picture slightly too high on a EU tv so the vertical pot need to be used to adjust the TV.

Unfortunately a lot of TV from the 90s had fixed sync circuits to save on costs and most of the time didn't allow for either the horizontal or vertical sync to be adjusted, and no vertical adjustment either. A lot of the 14inch TVs by companies like Philips, Daewoo, Panasonic... lack all these adjustments so aren't quite suitable for arcade boards or NTSC consoles.

The tubes however have the same impedance as those poker crt chassis , burned out, tubes and make wonderful replacement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here's a really interesting lot, a batch of Gremlin Gameboy protos (apparently one is unreleased), along with the developers Gameboy, a Snes proto and some letters and other paraphernalia.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124175546410?ul_noapp=true

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

the resolution also impacts the refresh. The Mortal Kombat PCB is an odd 400×254 that lowers to a 53hz refresh keep the modeline within the range of a 15Khz standard res monitor. It does require major adjustments to remote control pots on an arcade monitor to display correctly.

I've read posts of USA people with standard 60Hz TVs struggling to display Mortal Kombat PCB on a supergun but I've no issue on supergun with a PAL RGB 50/60 Hz TV.

I've relisted my copy of Snatcher - granted there's nobody buying Snatcher at a bargain price these days. There's a chunk of Adverts tax applied here, so for any regulars, I'd knock bit off the price - https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/snatcher-cd-sega-cd/18561993

Master of the Universe

Here's a really interesting lot, a batch of Gremlin Gameboy protos (apparently one is unreleased), along with the developers Gameboy, a Snes proto and some letters and other paraphernalia.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124175546410?ul_noapp=true

2,700 GBP :eek:

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I've relisted my copy of Snatcher - granted there's nobody buying Snatcher at a bargain price these days. There's a chunk of Adverts tax applied here, so for any regulars, I'd knock bit off the price - https://www.adverts.ie/arcade-retro/snatcher-cd-sega-cd/18561993

Nice!

Ever think of lashing it up on the 'bay?

Should get a nice sum for it. Especially being the NTSC US version located in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

2,700 GBP :eek:

Won by a buyer with zero feedback, possibly a shill bid. I doubt very much you'd sign up to eBay to drop over 3k on Game Boy games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Phrawh!

What a beauty, pristine copy. If I had the spare cash I'd take it but unless €50 and a packet of Smokey bacon tempts you good luck with the sale.

There is a UK based Facebook group I'm in for Sega collectors that has some hardcore collectors if you'd want me to share the link over there?

Nice!

Ever think of lashing it up on the 'bay?

Should get a nice sum for it. Especially being the NTSC US version located in Europe.

I have thought about it but selling higher value items on eBay always gives me "the fear"...knowing how PayPal treat sellers kinda puts me off, and buyers can be total asshats and make a fraudulent claim.
    Phrawh!

What a beauty, pristine copy. If I had the spare cash I'd take it but unless €50 and a packet of Smokey bacon tempts you good luck with the sale.

There is a UK based Facebook group I'm in for Sega collectors that has some hardcore collectors if you'd want me to share the link over there?

Jeez man that'd be great yes, by all means please do share it with them. I'm all good for smokey bacon so unfortunately will have to decline :pac:

Master of the Universe

I have thought about it but selling higher value items on eBay always gives me "the fear"...knowing how PayPal treat sellers kinda puts me off, and buyers can be total asshats and make a fraudulent claim.

What I usually do is withdraw the money from my PayPal account to my bank the moment it arrives.

Might take a couple of days to clear, but once it does, then send the item.

Even if they did try to make a fraudulent claim, there won't be any money in your PayPal account to freeze etc.

Actually I make a point in general of never keeping cash in it at all because of that. The moment anything arrives in the account I withdraw it immediately.

^^ I do the same myself, never leave a penny in it. Can they go chasing you for a sum if they side with a buyer in a case like this?

Master of the Universe

I'm glad you posted that as it's after proving my own understanding of the situation wrong. Didn't realise that if there's no cash in your account they could potentially put it into negative after reimbursing the seller;

When you file a dispute any funds in the sellers paypal account are frozen and if you win those funds are returned to you.

If there are not enough funds / the seller refuses to pay the full amount then paypal reimburse you under paypal protection.

Whatever amount paypal reimburses you they then put the sellers account in negative and limit it until he pays them back again.

If he does not then the debt can be passed to a debt collection agency.

Master of the Universe

From paypal themselves. This is complete news to me and I've been using the service for almost 20 years! :eek:

'Your PayPal account balance could become negative if your transaction is reversed for any reason, such as a chargeback or a lost claim, and there aren’t enough funds in your account to cover for the amount.

In such cases, you must reimburse PayPal for the amount of the reversed transaction, plus any associated fees incurred by PayPal. Please resolve your negative account balance as soon as possible. If the negative balance isn’t resolved within 120 days, your account may be locked and you won’t be able to log in to your PayPal account.'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Oh yeah that's happened to me before.

Off an Irish buyer on ebay who claimed the games never arrived.

So always tracked postage and **** eBay.

My PayPal is my lazersteak one so I don't really accept payments apart from sales from that into it for that reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I had one bad experience as a seller on eBay (someone who couldn't read manuals it seems) and wanted to return an item but I just copy/pasted the manual in the complaint and heard nothing after that :) but yes, always tracked shipping and you can never take enough photos before and while packing something up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I've yet to have a bad experience with selling anything online and I have been selling a few bits on Adverts and FB. You can ask for a certificate of postage in the post office, you fill out the buyer's name and address and they stamp it and take the item. There's no charge for this, it's just proof that you actually posted the item to the buyer. It's handy for low value items, anything over fifty euro goes by registered post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Watched a video of Snatcher there, not my type of game but it looks cool, interesting presentation.

What makes it so expensive?

I've yet to have a bad experience with selling anything online and I have been selling a few bits on Adverts and FB. You can ask for a certificate of postage in the post office, you fill out the buyer's name and address and they stamp it and take the item. There's no charge for this, it's just proof that you actually posted the item to the buyer. It's handy for low value items, anything over fifty euro goes by registered post.

I suppose the cynic in me would be more wary of someone claiming there was a cd-r in the box, instead of the real disc. How could you ever prove such a claim is fake, & PayPal are very buyer-biased in their judgements.
    DaveyDave wrote: »
    Watched a video of Snatcher there, not my type of game but it looks cool, interesting presentation.

What makes it so expensive?

The Mega-CD version is the only official localised release of the game, all the others are in Japanese. There are translation patches of course, but for collectors, the Mega-CD/Sega CD version is the one to go for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,392 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the Sega-CD version is also the only one, or one of the few versions of the game, that has the third act which wraps up the story. Most releases end on the chapter 2 cliffhanger.

I think the Sega-CD version is also the only one, or one of the few versions of the game, that has the third act which wraps up the story. Most releases end on the chapter 2 cliffhanger.

Nah the PS1 & Saturn versions had act 3...but they were pretty heavily censored in comparison to the Mega-CD/Sega CD version...

"I believe both the Saturn and Playstation versions contain the 3rd Act along with Japanese voice acting, but they also underwent a few changes that fans of the series typically consider a downgrade. A good example is some of the censoring such as the depiction of a character killed. In the Sega CD version, it's actually the most graphic of all versions, but the PSX version had graphic elements removed and the quality of the image is pretty terrible in order to mask the violence. Granted, the Sega CD version also underwent some censoring from the Japanese versions, but nothing too drastic."

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogaming/comments/4jhggy/what_is_the_best_version_of_snatcher/

Master of the Universe

You had Snatcher back in the day Inviere didn't you?

I know we all appreciate it these days knowing about Kojima's output and putting it in context that way, but it must have really been something else playing it first hand when you were younger with no concept of such a game existing before.

I don't think I had that 'wtf is this???' type of experience until playing RPGs on the PS1.

I remember seeing a review of it in the Official Sega Magazine or maybe Sega Power. It just looked amazing. I really wanted a Mega CD just for that game, Popful Mail and Lunar 1 and 2.

I'd say what was most shocking was the Jermey Blaustein localisation. It was probably the first game with decent thought put into a voice cast and localisation (well in Europe, Ys 1 & 2 on PC Engine is insanely high production value with loads of big name animation VO actors on the bill). It's a bit dated by today's standards but was top class at launch. Then to go from that to the absolute garbage of early PS1 games.

You had Snatcher back in the day Inviere didn't you?

I know we all appreciate it these days knowing about Kojima's output and putting it in context that way, but it must have really been something else playing it first hand when you were younger with no concept of such a game existing before.

I don't think I had that 'wtf is this???' type of experience until playing RPGs on the PS1.

Yeah I had it in the 90's. I had no idea what I had, no idea who Kojima was, and had it alongside the Snes....so in comparison, it really felt like a big step forward in terms of storytelling, music, visual style etc. Of course today I can see it for what it is, a fantastic point & click adventure pseudo visual novel with some action parts tacked on....but yeah, back then it really was amazing to play.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

[obvious troll]I like Snatcher, but it's no Legend of Dragoon![/is obvious]

Advertisement