Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd buy that for a $: Retro bargains

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Arcade-TV-Spielautomat-Wandgerat-mit-Konami-no-Jamma-PCB-Yie-Ar-Kung-Fu-Mame/283878427699?hash=item4218790c33:g:SCwAAOSw51xevbIb

Is this terrible, or funky?! I contacted the guy about shipping, half interested. Would need to get a carnival pcb of course and a bit of rewiring maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,930 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Some lad in the UK looks to have found a motherload of NOS Sanyo 28 inch widescreen CRTs!

1 for 60 gbp

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-X-28-Widescreens-CRT-TVs/324163694048?hash=item4b79a96de0:g:OesAAOSwDudeK0dp

3 for 150 gbp

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-X-28-Widescreens-CRT-TVs/324158114762?hash=item4b79544bca:g:OesAAOSwDudeK0dp

Speaking of bargains, there a 17 inch DELL VGA CRT on the curb outside my apartment complex. I was carrying 6 litres of coke up at the time when I saw it but have a few wines on me and am really tempted to leggit down and pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

o1s1n wrote: »
    Speaking of bargains, there a 17 inch DELL VGA CRT on the curb outside my apartment complex. I was carrying 6 litres of coke up at the time when I saw it but have a few wines on me and am really tempted to leggit down and pick it up.
    Do it! :) future mini cab screen maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Inviere

Get it, there's a few different projects you could do with it :)

I put some import versions of the Nintendo Mini's up on Adverts, with some adverts tax if anyone is looking to 'complete their collection' - https://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nintendo-mini-s-import-versions/20394203

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    I put some import versions of the Nintendo Mini's up on Adverts, with some adverts tax if anyone is looking to 'complete their collection' - https://www.adverts.ie/nintendo/nintendo-mini-s-import-versions/20394203

That Famicom Mini is well worth the money, got one myself, it's lovely!

Like the look of the US Super Nintendo Mini though....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

9 months and it's still available.

290072.jpg?b64lines=SXMgbXkgcHJpY2Ugc28gb3V0IG9mIHRvdWNoPyAKTm8saXQncyB0aGUgYnV5ZXJzIHdobwogYXJlIHdyb25n

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭BGOllie

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

putain d'French !!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SECAM pr0n!

• Advertisement

That reminds me,
    Late last year I spotted a megadrive console only at a carboot sale.
    I asked the guy how much and he said.
    "Not cheap enough for you to sell it on adverts"
    It was probably stolen anyway if you know what im saying!

Master of the Universe

That reminds me,
    Late last year I spotted a megadrive console only at a carboot sale.
    I asked the guy how much and he said.
    "Not cheap enough for you to sell it on adverts"
    It was probably stolen anyway if you know what im saying!

Salesman of the year! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

Came across this & thought it might be of interest to someone here
    https://www.donedeal.ie/collectibles-for-sale/old-arcade-sign/24468875

BGOllie wrote: »
    putain d'French !!

I had to look that one up!

:eek:

Master of the Universe

Any of you dudes ever try to use a Japanese service to nab some bargains on Yahoo Japan auctions?

I decided to give it a go as I've been meaning to for years and put a bid on something via White Rabbit Express (non A&R related I'm afraid!)

Seems to be good so far, you paypal them the price of the item, a handling fee & local postage and they bid on it. If they win it, you then pay for international postage to have it shipped out. You can let a few things gathered and have it all shipped at once.

It's not the cheapest thing in the world (The item I'm bidding on is $13, handling fee is $9 and local postage is $5) but it's still reasonable for super rare items that you're getting for considerably cheaper.

If all goes well I was thinking about trying to use them to buy a Sharp SF-1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

Any of you dudes ever try to use a Japanese service to nab some bargains on Yahoo Japan auctions?

I decided to give it a go as I've been meaning to for years and put a bid on something via White Rabbit Express (non A&R related I'm afraid!)

Seems to be good so far, you paypal them the price of the item, a handling fee & local postage and they bid on it. If they win it, you then pay for international postage to have it shipped out. You can let a few things gathered and have it all shipped at once.

It's not the cheapest thing in the world (The item I'm bidding on is $13, handling fee is $9 and local postage is $5) but it's still reasonable for super rare items that you're getting for considerably cheaper.

If all goes well I was thinking about trying to use them to buy a Sharp SF-1!

There is a load of them "fromjapan, buyee ,jauce and smj(now gone) etc some have restrictions ,weights ,items etc so worth keeping an eye on that also Compare pricing as fees differ greatly and how long they will hold items for, the longer the better but normally 1-2 months is a the norm!! fees can be cheaper with one to a certain level and then be drastically more expensive then its also worth knowing what shipment services they offer and if they let "other values" rather that real values be declared on the invoices.

I personally don't find the value that used to be there anymore ,not that its not there, but things now are greatly more expensive than years gone by but they throw out nothing so you are bound to find it on yaj :pac: exchange rates haven't helped here either.
    I used to buy stuff there all the time nearly weekly :( but that has dwindled and dwindled over the years to pretty much nada ,I think I've only bought about 1 thing in the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

The whole import taxes/duties/vat when you get something from outside EU can be astonishing!

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/buying-of-goods-online-for-personal-use/buying-goods-from-outside-the-eu.aspx

If you have a look at some of the worked examples on that link above it gives you a solid idea.

Perhaps the most annoying thing is that certain charges are made including postage! And then the minimum 10 euro for an post too.

Seriously kills the idea of getting stuff from Japan unless you can get stuff drastically marked down. But then that's a risk too.

I recently bought something from New Zealand and the dude agreed to lower it's "value" to like 20 quid. But now, if the thing goes AWOL or is smashed to bits, I'm left high and dry. Bit nervous about it now.

So, risky or expensive :/

Gradius wrote: »
    The whole import taxes/duties/vat when you get something from outside EU can be astonishing!

I always felt it's incredibly unfair to apply charges to second hand items. I get it in the sense that if you're buying a brand new item that you could buy here, that they're recouping revenue....but second hand items? Further robbery to apply the fee with postage price included too.

Master of the Universe

Anyone else find that they just never really get stung with import duties though?

I've imported hundreds upon hundreds of items from outside of Europe, most in excess of the import duty free threshold amount and only ever got charged twice. (and they were both in Airsoft guns so not exactly easy to miss!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Anyone else find that they just never really get stung with import duties though?

I've imported hundreds upon hundreds of items from outside of Europe, most in excess of the import duty free threshold amount and only ever got charged twice. (and they were both in Airsoft guns so not exactly easy to miss!)

Well that's you jinxed now.

I have used Buyee once. It worked well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,391 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I wish. They always **** me over with the insanely expensive stuff.

Still not financially recovered from buying Gimmick from Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭geotrig

Gradius wrote: »
    Perhaps the most annoying thing is that certain charges are made including postage! And then the minimum 10 euro for an post too.

Seriously kills the idea of getting stuff from Japan unless you can get stuff drastically marked down. But then that's a risk too.

I recently bought something from New Zealand and the dude agreed to lower it's "value" to like 20 quid. But now, if the thing goes AWOL or is smashed to bits, I'm left high and dry. Bit nervous about it now.

So, risky or expensive :/

there was always "less risk"(although junk listing & dodgy descriptions are a bit more prevelant these days, ng aes "expensive games" had been the main one for years to be carefull on so i never had to worry :pac: ) with stuff from japan than private sellers worldwide.
    my mindset has changed to factor in those costs and if its still a good price then all good.
    Inviere wrote: »
    I always felt it's incredibly unfair to apply charges to second hand items. I get it in the sense that if you're buying a brand new item that you could buy here, that they're recouping revenue....but second hand items? Further robbery to apply the fee with postage price included too.
    +1 the fees on postage and used goods really bugged me but i've had years to come to terms with it, just :(

not as much anymore ,years ago nothing got pulled, it seems, but over the last 2-3 years I've had more requests for invoices etc than ever and i'm buying **** all these days so puts a real damper on any bargains you think your getting
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I wish. They always **** me over with the insanely expensive stuff.

Still not financially recovered from buying Gimmick from Japan.
    noice how much did revenue make off you on that ?

21% on about 400 euro.

What mad it worse was Sauron was around to pick it up so got an angry call about landing the mammy with a bill!

Think my MSX2 got snared as well.

Master of the Universe

One of the things I did have stopped, had a value of about 250 euro.

They contact me asking for an invoice as they couldn't value it to calculate the tax.

I bought it on Ebay (where prices vary wildly, as you know), so sent them a photo of the completed auction.

The number shown on the final bid may have looked slightly different in the photo to the actual final number bid due to a shine on my screen at the time.

Rather amazingly though, they didnt charge me any import duties. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Master of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Strange the Westmeath one doesn't have a SCART socket. I didn't think Sony made a super cheap set. I think most of the non-SCART TVs can be modded to give RGB if you are brave :)

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Megadrive mini is down to £48 on Amazon UK today. I bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Megadrive mini is down to £48 on Amazon UK today. I bit...

I think you'll find it's in fact 16 bits of pure, raw blast processing.

• Advertisement

Advertisement