Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Don't you just hate it when someone who has never owned an EV comes on here...

• 18-12-2016 2:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

...to tell us all we've made a terrible mistake. It's why I prefer to discuss EVs elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

n97 mini wrote: »
    ...to tell us all we've made a terrible mistake. It's why I prefer to discuss EVs elsewhere.
    Can't say it bothers me. Perhaps we have made a mistake (right now or in the near future if unreasonable fees kick in, the network deteriorates or gets overloaded, should our current EVs depreciate at a higher rate than ICEs, etc.) or perhaps they have.

If there's any merit in what they have to say, then I don't mind reading it. It's not all roses owning an EV - but as things stand right now, 4 months in, I'm happy with my purchase with €640 saved on fuel so far.

Look on the bright side - if you come up against sceptics, these are the people that have at least delayed 'charging for charging' - by at least 1 year and perhaps longer (lets see) - so rather than getting annoyed with them, you should thank them for not buying an EV and for helping pay for your EV's fuel ;-)

Thanks to the lack of take up, I have use of a public charger near home that I've only ever seen one other EV use in all the time I've lived here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

I wouldn't take much notice, if it was up to some people we'd still all be riding horse and traps.
    With anything new, someone has to bite the bullet or we'd never get anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

OP, just be smug that you are a trend setter.
    I see it as a real start to a big change. That change will eventually include the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Skommando

I'll be moving to it when/if it becomes cheaper overall than traditional car ownership and becomes mainstream.

In the meantime, I'm quite happy to sit back and watch the early adopters/guinea pigs take the financial hit and iron out the bugs and pitfalls.

No problem with that Skomm. Its the people who feel the urge and cannot resist it to knock EVs, anyway they can, usually because of a closed mind, that gripes people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Skommando wrote: »
    I'll be moving to it when/if it becomes cheaper overall than traditional car ownership and becomes mainstream.

That has already happened, you just need to buy 2nd hand.

Buying any new car you suffer massive depreciation. EV just suffers an extra 10% or so for now but buy 2nd hand and the savings are substantial over ICE.

KCross wrote: »

err no, it hasn't, and the ev cause does itself no favours by pretending this. I currently drive an immaculate and extremely reliable turn key older jap petrol, and as a result pay zero depreciation and almost zero maintenance, apart from a basic annual service, and I can travel as far as I want, whenever I want, without planning dealyed stops, in an area with very few working charging points if any. And I don't have to mess about with untidy trip hazard charging leads and plugs morning noon and night. No ev can yet compete, either financially or practically. When/if an EV eventually can compete with that, I'll be happy to move. (also the car can't look anything like the Nissan queef. Why do they style EV's so poorly ?)

That's just bangernomics and applies to all cars and transport.

err no, it hasn't, and the ev cause does itself no favours by pretending this. I currently drive an immaculate and extremely reliable turn key older jap petrol, and as a result pay zero depreciation and almost zero maintenance, apart from a basic annual service, and I can travel as far as I want, whenever I want, in an area with very few working charging points if any. No ev can yet compete, either financially or practically. When/if an EV eventually can compete with that, I'll be happy to move.

As I said, buy 2nd hand and you will then have a zero maintenance, low depreciation, reliable car the same as your ICE with the added significant savings on fuel.

The main issue not covered is driving long distance. If that's something you do regularly then fair enough it's not for you. No one claims the EV range isn't an issue.

From personal experience and others on here will also agree with that the savings in EV are significant. For me it's about €2k/yr. that's not made up or imagined.

If you regularly need the long distance then you will be waiting a long time for one of those to be available at an affordable 2nd hand price like your current jap ICE.

As I said, buy 2nd hand and you will then have a zero maintenance, low depreciation, reliable car the same as your ICE with the added significant savings on fuel.

The main issue not covered is driving long distance. If that's something you do regularly then fair enough it's not for you. No one claims the EV range isn't an issue.

From personal experience and others on here will also agree with that the savings in EV are significant. For me it's about €2k/yr. that's not made up or imagined.

If you regularly need the long distance then you will be waiting a long time for one of those to be available at an affordable 2nd hand price like your current jap ICE.

I've done the sums, no second hand ev can compete. I spend about a 10 euro a week on petrol, and whenever I want to do a long journey, I don't have to plan it like a military operation, and I don't have to mess about with leads and chargers and stopovers, while driving an odd ball looking car. I've nothing against EV's, and whenever they become handier and cheaper than my current system, I'll be first to jump ship, but preaching that they are better option for everybody everywhere is just simply not true and does ev's no favours.

• Advertisement

I've done the sums, no second hand ev can compete. I spend about a 10 euro a week on petrol, and whenever I want to do a long journey, I don't have to plan it like a military operation, and I don't have to mess about with leads and chargers, while driving an odd ball looking car. I've nothing against EV's but preaching that they are better option for everybody everywhere is just simply not true.

Your wording is a little strong, with respect.

I'm neither preaching nor saying it suits everyone. That should be clear in my last post.

If you don't like messing with leads then EV is even further away for you! :)

Not one EV owner on here, I think has claimed EV is better for everybody.
    A good option for many, yes. A lot more people than have considered it to date, yes.
    A good option, even with present limited range, for a major portion of car owners, probably.

Your wording is a little strong, with respect.

with respect, you were the one that tried to claim a used ev would be cheaper and better for me, which was complete bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Theyre a great job for certain people who do a certain type of journey. If I was one of those people I'd probably try one, but living out west means it's not practical for me. The styling is an issue also but as more and more come online the styling will become more mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 davidgdlt

If that's something you do regularly then fair enough it's not for you. No one claims the EV range isn't an issue.
    preaching that they are better option for everybody everywhere is just simply not true and does ev's no favours.

F in reading comprehension :rolleyes:

with respect, you were the one that tried to claim a used ev would be cheaper and better for me, which was complete bollocks.

I have no idea of your circumstances and was not preaching that it would specifically suit you. I was responding to your comment that you would switch when it was cheaper to own an EV and for many people that has already happened. I never said it would suit everyone and clearly said if you need long distance that it isn't for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I've done the sums, no second hand ev can compete. I spend about a 10 euro a week on petrol, and whenever I want to do a long journey, I don't have to plan it like a military operation, and I don't have to mess about with leads and chargers and stopovers, while driving an odd ball looking car. I've nothing against EV's, and whenever they become handier and cheaper than my current system, I'll be first to jump ship, but preaching that they are better option for everybody everywhere is just simply not true and does ev's no favours.

No one is preaching.
    We share our opinion and experience. Most of the EV drivers prefer their current car compared to their old ICE car, including all my family who was VERY suspicious when I first pushed to get an EV.
    Hopefully you find down the years the best looking, most practical and cheap to run car you ever wanted regardless what gets the wheels in it moving.

davidgdlt wrote: »
    F in reading comprehension :rolleyes:

indeed, if you ignore his earlier post,

. . . didn't take long for the personal remarks patronising/preaching to start.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Stupid question alert - how do you pay for the electricity you use? Is it a bill, coins in the charger, some sort of swipe card?

peposhi wrote: »
    Hopefully you find down the years the best looking, most practical and cheap to run car you ever wanted regardless what gets the wheels in it moving.

That's exactly what I do, and an ev can't do it yet. When it does, I'll be happy to move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Not sure if you're not reading the posts, or just being argumentative.

Seems pretty clear to me.

I'm also in the situation where I'm not saving about €2100 a year compared to my previous car. Long runs can be a pain, but they are fairly rare. On the once a year occasion when I drive Donegal to Cork, I just hire a car with the savings for the rest of the year.

But that's me, it's not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

That's exactly what I do, and an ev can't do it yet. When it does, I'll be happy to move.

Cheers!

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Not sure if you're not reading the posts, or just being argumentative.

Maybe just try reading someone's posts first and talking to them before telling them an ev is better /cheaper for them, rather than start complaining and making personal remarks when they point out it's not.

God you're an awful sensitive soul aren't you...

God you're an awful sensitive soul aren't you...

If you can't discuss EV's without resorting to personal remarks, because you've no factual argument, it says more about you than me.

Lol

You are the one starting an argument here. You say I can't discuss the merits of EVs, thats exactly what I have done. I have also pointed out that for many (like you for instance), they don't suit.

The fact that you can't hear disagreement without getting all precious and complaining about personal insults says plenty about you than me.

Maybe you should go find a safe space where there are less hurtful words.

Lol

You are the one starting an argument here. You say I can't discuss the merits of EVs, thats exactly what I have done. I have also pointed out that for many (like you for instance), they don't suit.

The fact that you can't hear disagreement without getting all precious and complaining about personal insults says plenty about YOU!

Maybe you should go find a safe space where there are no hurtful words.

I don't have to take personal remarks from anyone here, because an ev isn't economic or practical for me.

Would you consider yourself representative of EV drivers ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

This title and nature of the thread is confrontational, diversive and subjective to begin with.......people reading it will by default fall into an owner or non owner camp.....and have their backs up slightly......
    I don't understand the purpose of the thread..... is it
    A. To make oneself feel better by having go at people who have a different view on EVs, and think such an investment is premature
    B. To make oneself feel better by getting other EV owners to respond with "chin up", "ignore the heaters" type comments
    Seriously, what's the point?

I don't have to take personal remarks from anyone here
    Im starting to lose track of what you're on about here...
    an ev isn't economic or practical for me.
    We know. Same goes for many people.
    Would you consider yourself representative of EV drivers ?
    What does that even mean? Every driver's situation and needs are different. Most are city drivers, some do long journeys and manage the charging needs. I'm rural but my daily commute is about 25 miles.

Some save very little, some save a fortune, some probably save nothing but drive electric for environmental reasons.

• Advertisement

This title and nature of the thread is confrontational, diversive and subjective to begin with.......people reading it will by default fall into an owner or non owner camp.....and have their backs up slightly.....

I agree on the title. I think the "....." part at the end is the issue. What I think is implied is that it's annoying when someone who hasn't driven an EV comes in here simply to slate them, which I think happened on one of the other threads recently and probably prompted this thread.

I personally welcome when someone who has never driven an EV comes in, because hopefully they can learn more about them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement