Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice separation

• 18-12-2016 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

Long time lurker and signed up to ask a bit of advice with my ex husband.
    We were together 13 years and married for 10,we split in June this year after I uncovered him having multiple affairs.
    He is now with his affair partner and both of them have being rubbing my nose in it,showed no remorse and never once cared how much it broke me.I have had counselling,hit some real lows and want to just move on.
    4 weeks ago he called me and now will be looking for maintenance.
    He had being working odd jobs the last 6years with no steady income,I work for a large financial group and was the main bread winner as he found it difficult to pick up work after the building boom burst.
    We have no children as I could never have them,he dropped me in huge financial mess when he left,burnt me on money he owed me.
    I don't want to be tied to him and paying maintenance as rents in Dublin are so high,I really have not a lot left at the end of the day.
    We haven't a legal separation yet as I just could not face solicitors and needed to build up some strength and money.
    What are my chances of a clean break without maintenance,I have evidence of his affairs and he contributed nothing financial KY to our household.
    The mental trauma this has caused me,his lack of empathy has been so hard for me and the thought of starting over at 41.
    Can anyone give me advice please as I just don't think it's fair I should maintain his lifestyle when he is living with the OW.
    Thanks for reading.
    Pinky

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You need to get legal advice or see if he will attend mediation tbh

Hes perfectly entitled to seek maintenance whether a court will award it is another matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

It sounds like a nightmare situation, Pinky.
    He could certainly apply but does he neet the criteria?

http://www.solo.ie/law/5036.htm#6

I would really hope a judge wouldn't award him anything if he is out of work without reason. And due to his behaviour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Very sorry to read about your chesting husband & your situation. Check your inbox - i sent you a personal message. Sorry about some of the spelling mistakes :0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Mod Note
    JustAThought - unless you want to be banned from this forum never repeat the above again. PM's are forbidden in S&D because being blunt we've no way of knowing who the sender or recipient are and due to the nature of the issues here people are open to confidence tricksters.

Just like in PI/RI Private Consol is restricted for very good reasons and this is one point that we will clamp down here on unlike others breaches where we instead just try to nudge. Remember this isn't just to protect OP's, it's also to protect posters who might get taken in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Sorry Mod I genuinely didn't realise.

( i wouldn't have openly advertised my rulebreak if I had known I was breakjng a rule!) Apologies !

• Advertisement
Advertisement