Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mini pump/road pump to have on the bike....

Options
  • 18-12-2016 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

mine broke yesterday while fixing a puncture at the side of the road, so in need of a new one. Not a fan of relying on co2 so like to have a pump with me.
    I'd happily fork out for a good one that gets as close to 120psi as possible without causing me an anuerism!
    Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

terrydel wrote: »
    mine broke yesterday while fixing a puncture at the side of the road, so in need of a new one. Not a fan of relying on co2 so like to have a pump with me.
    I'd happily fork out for a good one that gets as close to 120psi as possible without causing me an anuerism!
    Any recommendations?

I use one of these yokes.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/airwave-motion-floor-mount-mini-pump/rp-prod126133

I like the fact that it has a foot pad and is a mini track pump. Makes pumping a wheel up a lot less sore on the arms!
    It's quite light and I have it sticking out of a rear pocket. There is about 5/6 inches exposed out of the pocket.

There might be smaller "foot pad" types to be had these days, mines about 3 years old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

I have this one which is similar too. Love being able to turn it into track pump shape and having a rough pressure gauge is a help. fits nicely under top tube on the bike. It has saved me and others I've been cycling with more times than I can remember! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

+1 for the Airwave

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

[url] http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/topeak-race-rocket-pump/rp-prod47015[/url]

I have this and while it has no gauge or footpads it fits neatly into a jersey pocket without anything sticking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

dahat wrote: »
    [url] http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/topeak-race-rocket-pump/rp-prod47015[/url]

I have this and while it has no gauge or footpads it fits neatly into a jersey pocket without anything sticking out.

Like the look of that.
    Whats the deal with double action pumps, are they always better?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Lezyne do a fantastic one as well mini track pump fits fine in jersy pocket so long as ors deep

• Registered Users Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Like the look of that.
    Whats the deal with double action pumps, are they always better?

Not got a clue, not had to use it yet thankfully. Last one I had was an Aldi one which failed at side of the road so my mate had this n worked a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

guy i cycled with recommended this, is a mini type trackpump with T handle and footplate, about a foot long, fitted in his jersey pocket fine

http://www.madison.co.uk/products/cycling/accessories/pumps/minitrack-pump-2-stage-barrel-with-foot-plate-gauge-black/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Whats the deal with double action pumps, are they always better?
    Personally I don't like them. I presume they are faster but, if not racing, I prefer to inflate on down stroke only.

I also prefer a flexible valve hose connection as it makes it easier to pump IMO. Many mini-pumps require a direct rigid connection to the valve.

I've been using this Lezyne Pressure Drive for several years now. It has also come to the aid of others that I occasionally find stranded with ineffective pumps.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-pressure-drive-mini-pump/rp-prod24666

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Zefal HPX frame fitting pump on both bikes.
    Goes to 100+ with little effort.

• Advertisement

Went with the lezyne pressure drive and also got a topeak road morph too, so will see how I get on with the mini track pump and as well.
    Thanks to all for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

just had a car extraction due to a 2xtube 2xCO2 cartridge and a useless pump failure so i think i'll buy my own recommendation

devonp wrote: »
    guy i cycled with recommended this, is a mini type trackpump with T handle and footplate, about a foot long, fitted in his jersey pocket fine

http://www.madison.co.uk/products/cycling/accessories/pumps/minitrack-pump-2-stage-barrel-with-foot-plate-gauge-black/

devonp wrote: »
    just had a car extraction due to a 2xtube 2xCO2 cartridge and a useless pump failure so i think i'll buy my own recommendation

Saw that one in a shop yesterday, looked a bit cheap to me. I got the topeak road morph, arrived yesterday and at first glance its superb. Thats the one I'd recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭nialljf

any recommendations for clip on pumps? the screw on ones always remove my valve cores.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

nialljf wrote:
    any recommendations for clip on pumps? the screw on ones always remove my valve cores.

See post no 2

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nialljf wrote: »
    ....the screw on ones always remove my valve cores.
    I've never had that problem but it has been mentioned here several times. (Apparently some tubes are supplied with the valve core loose and you're supposed to tighten it before use). You could also carry a valve core tool in the saddle bag - they're very small and relatively inexpensive.

Advertisement