Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

bluewolf wrote: »

Nope. This one
    http://www.barbellmedicine.com/the-bridge/
    Turns out Alan isn't actually running this himself but it's written by his coach

Sorry can't find a direct link

A sample

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Do you have any objections to it outside of cardio?

And outside of the fact that Jordan Feigenbaum is a giant douche.

Do you have any objections to it outside of cardio?

And outside of the fact that Jordan Feigenbaum is a giant douche.

Ah I've nothing against cardio except for the thoughts of doing it. Don't know anything about that feigenbaum fella.
    Working out so early in the morning and doing cardio don't really appeal to me. Plus I do enjoy me assistance excersises. Don't see a whole lot on this program

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ah I've nothing against cardio except for the thoughts of doing it. Don't know anything about that feigenbaum fella.
    Working out so early in the morning and doing cardio don't really appeal to me. Plus I do enjoy me assistance excersises. Don't see a whole lot on this program

He's one of the two doctor chaps that have been given a lot of airtime on his videos lately.

Yeah there's not much outside the main compounds but they talk about GPP...

He did mention trying to up the volume, which is never a bad idea, but that looks just like it's upping the volume of main compounds

I'll have a look at some other programs too. Any reccomendations? I don't even know what stage I'm at. Novice? Intermediate? In between?

I'll have a look at some other programs too. Any reccomendations? I don't even know what stage I'm at. Novice? Intermediate? In between?

I think people at our stage of training tend to think of themselves as more advanced than they are, prematurely. For example, I think of myself as barely having the stabilisers off. But it's not really relevant.

Why do you want to drop 531, out of interest? Looked like it was working.

I think people at our stage of training tend to think of themselves as more advanced than they are, prematurely. For example, I think of myself as barely having the stabilisers off. But it's not really relevant.

Why do you want to drop 531, out of interest? Looked like it was working.
    Probably because I'm too easily led and I like Alan thrall. And I've been doing it for 6 months. And before that I was doing hanleys want a simple program. Both are fairly similar. Maybe it's time for a change. But part of me would like to repeat cycle 3-6 to see if I can milk out some extra gains. I dunno

Probably because I'm too easily led and I like Alan thrall. And I've been doing it for 6 months. And before that I was doing hanleys want a simple program. Both are fairly similar. Maybe it's time for a change. But part of me would like to repeat cycle 3-6 to see if I can milk out some extra gains. I dunno

Thing is that it wasn't like you hit a plateau. You hit some big PRs so the programme was working. Alan Thrall started his video saying the reason he changed things up was because he had plateaued.

You could look at changing the accessory work or something but I think that given you're getting really good results and big PRs recently that it would be too soon to start jumping around to different programmes trying to find one that gives you the results you're getting.

• Advertisement

Thing is that it wasn't like you hit a plateau. You hit some big PRs so the programme was working. Alan Thrall started his video saying the reason he changed things up was because he had plateaued.

You could look at changing the accessory work or something but I think that given you're getting really good results and big PRs recently that it would be too soon to start jumping around to different programmes trying to find one that gives you the results you're getting.
    Seeing as you're always spot on with advice, I'll stay put.

Seeing as you're always spot on with advice, I'll stay put.

I wouldn't go that far but your numbers are moving in the right direction so there's no need to look at changing. When things plateau then it's worth looking at what needs to change, and that's usually the volume or more work on the weak-links in the chain for a particular compound. (Could also be technical but doesn't matter what programme you're following in that case).

But you've just added 45kg to your S/B/D total so what's wrong with that that you need to change?

I wouldn't go that far but your numbers are moving in the right direction so there's no need to look at changing. When things plateau then it's worth looking at what needs to change, and that's usually the volume or more work on the weak-links in the chain for a particular compound. (Could also be technical but doesn't matter what programme you're following in that case).

But you've just added 45kg to your S/B/D total so what's wrong with that that you need to change?

Ah there's nothing wrong as such. Just my inexperience I guess. There's plenty of mixing up in the accessories I can do to keep me entertained for now.

Ah there's nothing wrong as such. Just my inexperience I guess. There's plenty of mixing up in the accessories I can do to keep me entertained for now.

Most of the advice I give is based on having done the wrong things myself and realising after the fact :D

Just make sure you understand why you make any changes you make cos it does help.

Cycle 7 week 2 squat

Toe squats to 60kg

82.5 x 3
    95 x 3
    105 x 3 [+8]

Beat cycle 3 by 1 rep and it's also a Rep PB at that weight.
    I really wasn't expecting anything from today after having a bug the last few days. Don't know what the difference was but it all felt easy. I went really deep on the toe squats. Maybe that was it who knows.

Paused at knee DL 105kg x 3 x 6

Core
    Plank x 3 x 70sec
    Side plan raises x 3 x 15
    Leg raises x 3 x 15

Leg curl 45.5 x 3 x 10

Leg extension 60 x 4 x 10

Calf raises 3 x 15

Cycle 7 week 2 Bench Press

57.5 x 3
    65 x 3
    72.5 x 3 (+4)

Pull ups +10kg 3 x 5

Partial bench 1" 60kg x 3 x 8

DB shrugs 120kg x 3 x 12

Dips +15kg x 2 x 8

Rev flys/biceps/triceps x 3

Last set on the main was a struggle. I did 5 reps in total and looked at cycle 3 and saw I did 8. Pissed off was I, so I got back under the bar(after a generous 5 min rest) and did 7. My repeat set was done without wrist straps too. I dunno.

Pull ups gettin no easier. I might ditch the plate and go back to more volume for a while. Hopefully I'll have the elusive 3 x 10 in me

Partial bench was a learning experience today. Took my time, and I noticed a massive difference when I slightly pushed the bar back over my head as I pushed up. So much easier. Trying to repeat that bar path each time is the trick now

Arms were fecked by dips time so I left it at 2 sets

Cycle 7 week 2 Deadlift

Paused 1" off floor DL up to 100kg

115 x 3
    132.5 x 3
    147.5 x 3 (0)

Anderson squat 92.5kg x 3 x 8

Core
    Crunches +20kg x 3 x 20
    Leg raises x 3 x 15
    Forget to to side plate raises

Leg curl 45.5 x 4 x 10

Leg extension 60 x 3 x 10

Calf raises light x 3 x 20

Woke up with a headache today, hoped it would go but nope.
    DL technique is really coming along nicely. I'm not a fan of high rep DL at all. I just think it's an injury waiting to happen. It's just my opinion, I'm probably wrong.
    I'm thinking of dropping the AMRAP on deadlifts only and maybe do 3 sets of 3 or something like that instead of going all out on the final set

Anderson squats were absolutely brutal. Sickening. I was wearing dl shoes and no belt. Can't believe I got through them cause on set 1 I was amazed I got past 5

Adding core in to the middle was the best decision I ever made. It doesn't feel like a chore anymore and I look forward to doing them. Plus it gives my legs a chance to refresh and get ready for the pump of the curls/extensions

Got a lovely burn from the calf raises.

Have a think about what kind of volume you'd be looking at with an AMRAP set and consider structuring it so that you get th volume without the injury risk.

Or consider going AMRAP but not all out...leave 2 in the tank kinda thing

Have a think about what kind of volume you'd be looking at with an AMRAP set and consider structuring it so that you get th volume without the injury risk.

Or consider going AMRAP but not all out...leave 2 in the tank kinda thing

Let's say I was capable of 11 reps max at a certain weight. You reckon I'd be better off doing 9 or 3 x 3 with maybe short rest in between sets?

Let's say I was capable of 11 reps max at a certain weight. You reckon I'd be better off doing 9 or 3 x 3 with maybe short rest in between sets?

Its about getting in volume so sets of maybe 4 so that you get at least 11 without getting so fatigued your form suffers

• Advertisement

Cycle 7 week 2 OHP

seated OHP warmups

Main 37.5 x 3
    45 x 3
    50 x 3 (+1)

Lat pull down 85kg 8,8,5

Bench press 50kg x 2 x 10

Slept it out today and had to finish earlier than normal so I only got 30mins in. OHP seems to be going backward instead of forward.

Lat pull downs felt heavy

I did light bench with the barbell. Felt pretty solid at that weight as it should.

Cycle 7 week 3 SQUAT

Toe squats

87.5 x 5
    100 x 3
    110 x 1 (+4)

Paused at knee DL 105kg x 3 x 6

Core
    Plank 80sec x 3
    Side plank raise x 3 x 15
    Leg raises x 3 x 20

Leg extension 62.5 x 4 x 10

Leg curl 49.5 10,9,8

Heavy calf raises

Had an odd pain in my upper back warming up on toe squats. Decided not to push the final set. Everything was good technique wise I think. I may record myself soon to see.

Loads left to go on the DL. I'm more concentrating on technique for now

Core was delightful. Gonna introduce my ab roller wheel soon.

Pretty sure that's a weight and reps pb on leg extension.

Cycle 7 week 3 Bench Press

62.5 x 5
    70 x 3
    77.5 x 1(+3)

Pull ups +10kg x 3 x 5

Partial bench 60kg x 3 x 8

Shrugs 130kg x 3 x 10

Dips +15kg x 3 x 8

Rev fly/triceps/biceps

I'm getting a sharp pain in my left wrist the last 2 days. Although I was well wrapped up it still felt dodgy and my left side felt weaker today. 1 less rep than cycle 3. Bar path felt better on the first 2 sets than normal

Pull ups were a tad easier
    Partial bench wasn't

Cycle 7 week 3 Deadlift

Paused 1" off floor up to 110kg

122.5 x 5
    140 x 3
    155 x 1 +3
    155 x 1

Anderson squat 92.5 x 3 x 8

Core
    Crunches +20kg x 4 x 20
    Side plate raises 20kg x 4 x 20

Leg curl 49.5 10,10,9,5

Leg extension 62.5 12,10,10

Calf raises light

Main lifts went well. I think I did too many warm up sets though. Went for a second set of 3@ 155 but Jesus was that some shock to the system. The body said no thanks. I'll. be better prepared next time

I was dreading the squats. So much so that I was trying to think of excuses not to do them cause of the horror show they were last week. Turns out they were grand. A bit of a grind but have my confidencd back in them

Cycle 7 week 3 OHP

42.5 x 5
    47.5 x 3
    52.5 x 1 (+2)

Lat pull down 85kg 8,8,6

Seated OHP 30kg x 3 x 12

T bar row 65kg x 3 x 10

Shrugs 100kg x 3 x 15
    Hammer curls 14kg x 3 x 10

Rev fly/triceps/biceps x 3

OHP machine x 3 x 12 light

2 less reps than cycle 3. I don’t know what’s going wrong but everything I Press seems to be getting weaker. Technique feels good. Maybe it’s time for a deload.

Lat pulldown felt weak too.

I’m gonna go back to seated OHP for a while. Felt good today

I just grabbed the bar today instead of using the V handle for rows.

Everything else was pumpy

Cycle 7 Deload week Squat

Toe squats up to 80kg

100 x 3
    100 x 2
    100 x 1

Paused at knee DL 100kg x 3 x 6

Core
    Plank 90secs x 3
    Knee to belly on ball things x 3 x 10
    Russian twist x 3 x 20

Leg extensions 45 x 3 x 8

Leg curl single leg x 10 each x 3

Light calf raises

I decided not to go too light for the main lift based on Alan thralls advice. He reckons to keep the weight reasonable cause when you go back at it properly you’re back into Dom’s territory again, which always happened to me.
    All the main lifts where lovely. Went Clarence deep for all reps. I’ve been working on getting my grip closer too so the bad feels much tighter nowadays.

Kept the DL weight around the same cause that’s light enough at the moment anyway.

Russian twists will become interesting a the weight increases me thinks

I decided not to go too light for the main lift based on Alan thralls advice. He reckons to keep the weight reasonable cause when you go back at it properly you’re back into Dom’s territory again, which always happened to me.

You don't really need to go very light just because it's a deload anyway. I must dig it out but Greg Nuckols had suggested something like intensity to 75% of where you were at and volume to 50-75%.

Training should be quicker so do some mobility work along with keeping the engine turning over with the weight

You don't really need to go very light just because it's a deload anyway. I must dig it out but Greg Nuckols had suggested something like intensity to 75% of where you were at and volume to 50-75%.

Training should be quicker so do some mobility work along with keeping the engine turning over with the weight

I’d say I wasn’t far off 75% alright. It was a lot quicker today so the lacrosse ball got an extra going over too

Cycle 7 Deload Bench Press

Worked up to 70kg x 3 x 3

Pull ups bw 3x8

Partial bench 50 x 3 x 8

Shrugs 100 x 3 x 12

Dips Bw x 3 x 10

Rev fly/biceps/triceps

Not much to report back. 70 felt a little heavy. I still feel my technique is dreadful so that’s something to work on.

The first 5 pull-ups felt super light the last 3, not so much

I was surprised at how effortless the dips were. I remember struggling to do 3 x 5. I flew threw this. Very happy with those.

• Advertisement

Do you pause your benching?

Now this is just an n=1 thing, though I'd be surprised if I was the only one, but pausing helped clean up my technique.

Advertisement