Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,589 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Well done chief!!

What was PR before that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Well done chief!!

What was PR before that?

Thanks.
    140 not too long ago

Cycle 9 week 4 Bench

Paused
    50kg x 2
    60kg x 1
    70kg x 1
    80kg x 1
    87.5kg x not a hope

Tried out a few different moves for cycle 10

I was feeling confident at 80kg that I’d hit 90. That all turned fairly quick once I couldn’t get 87.5 more than a few inches up. God bless the safety bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Congrats on the squat pr!! Woohoo!!!

Cycle 9 week 4 Deadlift

Paused at knee warm ups

100kg x 2
    120kg x 1
    140kg x 1
    160kg x 1
    180kg x 1
    200kg fail 3 attempts
    180kg x 1 (just to make sure the bar wasn’t bolted to the floor)

Core

Leg curls

180 moved nicely. No sticking points and I was quite confident 200 was there. Gravity had other ideas though. I’m gonna go at it again before the new year. Did I build up to it ok?

Cycle 10 I’m going to destroy my glutes. What is the single biggest glute killing excersise?

• Advertisement

Might have done slightly different so as not to have such a big jump before 200 but it wouldn't necessarily make a massive difference.

Where did it break down on 200? Mid shin?

Might have done slightly different so as not to have such a big jump before 200 but it wouldn't necessarily make a massive difference.

Where did it break down on 200? Mid shin?

It didn’t start so didn’t get a chance to break down. I couldn’t budge it off the floor! I think part of it was mental too and I was intimidated by the weight. I think I’ll add in deficit deadlifts next cycle

If you're going to do deficit deadlifts, video them from the side from the start. It's important to try keep a neutral spine because otherwise you (a) will just risk an injury and (b) it will have less benefit for your deadlift. Also, start with a small enough deficit - maybe an inch. Jump to too big a deficit and you might be changing the movement a bit too much for your dimensions

Barbell lunges
    Well i just like them anyway but they do work
    And single leg RDLs

bluewolf wrote: »
    Barbell lunges
    Well i just like them anyway but they do work
    And single leg RDLs

BB lunges it is. I’ll do sl rdl another time.

• Advertisement

Also like RDLs. Important to do them properly but do them properly and your glutes and hamstrings will know all about it

Also like RDLs. Important to do them properly but do them properly and your glutes and hamstrings will know all about it

I’ll be doing RDL’s on squat day so I’ll be giving my hamstrings plenty of abuse on cycle 10

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’ll be doing RDL’s on squat day so I’ll be giving my hamstrings plenty of abuse on cycle 10

Squats won't really work them all that hard.

I don't want to go on about getting RDLs right but I've felt a massive difference between doing them right and not so just make sure to reap the benefit :)

single leg rdls hit your glutes not just hams

single leg rdls hit your glutes not just hams

Yeah RDLs hit both.

Squats won't really work them all that hard.

I don't want to go on about getting RDLs right but I've felt a massive difference between doing them right and not so just make sure to reap the benefit :)

I meant in total in the week. I’ll be doing rdl, leg curls, deadlifts, and B.B. lunges between deadlift and squat day.

I think I’m doing them right anyway. I get a good stretch in them, keep a neutral spine and ass back.

I meant in total in the week. I’ll be doing rdl, leg curls, deadlifts, and B.B. lunges between deadlift and squat day.

I think I’m doing them right anyway. I get a good stretch in them, keep a neutral spine and ass back.

Not saying you're not...I think I'm just being extra conscious of making sure I'm hinging at the hip lately cos I had a habit of just rounding and dropping the bar down and not getting hips back.

Like I said, most of what I pass on is what I've learned from my own mistakes :)

Cycle 9 week 4 OHP

30kg x 2
    40kg x 1
    45kg x 1
    50kg x 1
    57.5kg x 1
    60kg Fail

Lat pulldown 85 x 3 x 8 Pb

Skull crusher 20kgx 3 x 10

Played around with excersises for cycle 10
    Skull crushers are hard on the elbows. Don’t know if I’ll be able to stick them

I seem to be writing the word fail a lot lately. Failed at my first attempt of 57.5. Slightly wider grip and up it went...barely. I knew before I started the 60 that it wasn’t going up.

I’m changing up the assistance a bit for cycle 10. I’m gonna add in some bench press to OHP day and some OHP to Bench Press day. That way I’ll be doing them twice weekly. It’s served me well on squat/deadlift so far

Are you doing the skulls with dbs?

Are you doing the skulls with dbs?

Nope a curl bar. Should I be using Db’s?

• Advertisement

I do mine with dbs and keep thumbs pointed down. Is the curl bar the wiggly bar? I think Hanley said i would get elbow issues if i didn't use dbs or the wiggly bar

Nope a curl bar. Should I be using Db’s?

They might take some pressure off your elbows. If they don't, drop them for something else to work your triceps.

They might take some pressure off your elbows. If they don't, drop them for something else to work your triceps.

Ye I’ll try them one more time. If they aggrivate may elbows they’re dropped

I do mine with dbs and keep thumbs pointed down. Is the curl bar the wiggly bar? I think Hanley said i would get elbow issues if i didn't use dbs or the wiggly bar

Yep the wiggly bar that’s it. Think 💭 ya called an EZ bar too

Cycle 9 week 4 squat

Toe squats to 90kg

110 x 2
    125 x 1
    140 x 1
    145 x 1

100 x 5

Core/mobility

No real plan today except take it easy on volume. I wore my SBD knee thingys today for the first time. I went heavy just to see how they felt. I can’t say they felt like they were doing much. 140 felt as heavy as it would have without them. 145 was a proper grind. Got totally stuck half way up so I really had to fight to finish it

How difficult was it to get the sleeves on?

How difficult was it to get the sleeves on?

I remember I bought these around the time Bossarky was having trouble getting his on and off. So I bought mine large according to the measurements on site. They’re tight but can get them on/off easy enough. I also bought medium which are a workout in itself getting them on. Today I used the bigger ones.

Thought as much. It's not something I would attribute a big difference too. I wasn't sure when I first got my Rehbands. SBDs are tough enough to get on and you feel the difference.

How much that translates to in a heavy squat? Who knows? I guess I got them for the 1%...the difference between making it past a sticking point and not on a PR attempt.

There was a thread on it on the IPF Facebook page a while back and people felt maybe 5-10kg from good sleeves. But it's an educated guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I have strengthshop IPF ones. Also don't know if they make a big difference but mentally, I find them reassuring.

• Advertisement

I couldn’t see myself getting 160 with them at present. But who knows, my body is tired, I only tested a few days ago, it’s my first time using them and I could’ve wore the tighter pair. Maybe if all the stars were aligned. I’m happy enough with 150 for the minute

Advertisement