Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,589 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I couldn’t see myself getting 160 with them at present. But who knows, my body is tired, I only tested a few days ago, it’s my first time using them and I could’ve wore the tighter pair. Maybe if all the stars were aligned. I’m happy enough with 150 for the minute

Well they won't add on 10kg necessarily. They can help you get more pop out of the hole.

One lad Iad I know was saying he gets more from his sleeves than his belt so it's different for different people.

Edit: tbh I really only got a pair because I was going to do a comp and if it made a marginal difference on the day, I'd take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Cycle 9 week 4

Squats up to 137.5kg x 1

Bench press paused up to 80kg

Deadlift up to 180kg

Cable flys/lat pulldowns/lat raises

No plan today. I just went easy, but heavy on the 3 main lifts. Cycle 10 will start in the new year. If I get in to the gym before then I’ll do more of the same above.

2 mile run.

I forgot my legs had other muscles and they hurt a bit now.

Happy Xmas everyone

Happy Christmas!

Squats up to 140kg

Deadlifts up to 180kg

Some light assistance flys/shrugs

140kg squat was surprisingly easy. I was thinking of maxing out but No. cycle 10 starting soon

• Advertisement

Over the last year my lifts increased by :

Squat 150kg. Up 30kg

Deadlift (started March) 190kg. Up 20kg

Bench press tng 90kg. Up 5kg. (Have switched to paused since November. Current 1rm 87.5kg.

OHP 60kg. Up 5kg. But lately that’s gone backward

Goals for the end of 2018

Squat 170kg

Deadlift 220kg

Bench paused 100kg

OHP 65kg

Probably an unrealistic goal of 220 DL but feck it, it’s not gonna stop me tryin

Squat up to 140kg x 1

OHP up to 60kg x 1

Deadlift up to 170kg x 1

Light bench assistance

Today is the last day of me messing around. Cycle 10 starts in the next couple of days. It’s gonna be a shock to the system doing more reps than 1!.

I’d nearly consider the 60kg on OHP as a pb today considering how dreadful my Press has been lately. I wasn’t planning on pressing at all but they all moved lovely. Did 50 x 2 easily so said I’d try 60 and it went up slow. Maybe squatting beforehand loosened up my shoulders and gave them a good stretch.

Do you do much to loosen up your shoulders before pressing?

Do you do much to loosen up your shoulders before pressing?

I do shoulder dislocates before every workout with some stretches for the upper back and shoulder stretching. Then on squat days I’d add in a light bit of leg/hip movement

Cycle 10 week 1 squats

Toe squats up to 60kg

87.5kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    115kg x 5

100kg x 3 x 5

RDL 110kg x 3 x 6

Leg extensions 67.5 x 4 x 12

Ugh
    Ugh. Had a little bug I think, coupled with the fact I ate nothing yesterday and the slightly higher volume workout meant this wasn’t pretty.

Every single set I had to have a chat with myself to get through it. Weak, dizzy, tired and not wanting to be there. Horrible. I’m amazed I got through them. Extra generous breaks between sets meant time ran out. Didn’t get other bits done and genuinely forgot lunges. Honestly!

One to forget

• Advertisement

Cycle 10 week 1 Bench paused

50kg x 5
    57.5kg x 5
    65kg x 5

57.5kg x 3 x 5

Bent over B.B. row 65kg x 3 x 8

Seated OHP 45kg x 3 x 8

Bench overhead pull....light as fcuk

Cable flys/Db rev flys.

Bench was easy enough today. Something tiny popped in my right elbow as I was taking the bar off the holders for the second set. Slight pain and discomfort but the weights were light so I got through them.

I really concentrated on bar path on my final sets, along with leg drive and breathing. It’s hard to put it all together but I managed it on the final set I think, and no surprise it was the easiest.

Just about got through the rows. I’ll stay st this weight until it feels a bit lighter.

Seated OHP was a huge Pb at 45kg. Previous was 42.5 set only a few weeks ago. But I wasn’t doing OHP as the main lift today so that explains the pb.

I went really light on the overhead pull as I was a little weary of my elbow and felt these might be an issue.

Cycle 10 week 1 Deadlift

Deficit DL
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    110kg x 5

Normal plates
    127.5kg x 5
    145kg x 5

130kg x 3 x 5

Front squat
    90kg x 2 x 6
    80kg x 6

Rev B.B. lunges
    40kg x 3 x 10

Leg extensions 67.5 12,12,12,6

Ah week 1 blues.
    I used a smaller 20kg plate which meant the bar was around 1” lower than normal. The last set of deficits was actually the first set of the main workout.

Tough going although the weight wasn’t heavy. 40 reps of DL wasn’t long adding up. Form was solid throughout.

I shouldn’t have went so heavy with front squats cause it was nearly 3 weeks since I did them at 90. Set 2 was dreadful so I took off 10kg and did the last set.

Rev lunges were surprisingly easy. Balance was reasonable. Got a great stretch back and glutes were twitching after them.

Legs dead on extensions.

I had allowed to leg curls, core and calf raises but time wasn’t there. These will have to get the chop in future and I’ll stick to the main excersise for now. If I get extensions or curls in at the end then well and good.

Cycle 10 week 1 OHP

35kg x 5
    40kg x 5
    45kg x 5

40kg x 3 x 5

Lat pulldown 85 x 3 x 8

Db Bench flat 24kg x 3 x 10

Db Shrugs 40kg x 4 x 15

Cable flys 10.5 x 4 x 15

OHP was smooth for a change. Probably down to the fact the weight was a bit lighter, but technique felt good.

Moving up to the big boy weight on lat pulldowns next week. There’s only 3 more nothches left on the stack until I’m lifting it all. Ha, one day maybe.

Db Bench is fairly new to me. 24’s a first for sure. It felt like I was trying to Bench press 2 wild terriers. All over the place but got it done

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Fair play man, this is really great stuff. Well done on the press especially! I think we can safely say you won our 5/3/1 battle due to me being cruelly cut down like a racehorse in his prime. hats off

Db Bench is fairly new to me. 24’s a first for sure. It felt like I was trying to Bench press 2 wild terriers. All over the place but got it done

The stabilising muscles you don't use to the same extent with a bar will get stronger and they won't be flapping about.

FTA69 wrote: »
    Fair play man, this is really great stuff. Well done on the press especially! I think we can safely say you won our 5/3/1 battle due to me being cruelly cut down like a racehorse in his prime. hats off

Thanks. I don’t feel like I’ve progressed much in the OHP to be honest. Shoulders are bigger, t shirts fit better but weight isn’t any higher than when you were at it. I think it’s time for u to come back. New year blah blah etc

The stabilising muscles you don't use to the same extent with a bar will get stronger and they won't be flapping about.

And in turn Bench more hopefully

And in turn Bench more hopefully

Absolutely. DB pressing has been involved for a good block of training for the last few comps and bench has felt stronger and stronger for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I’ve been having four months of bloody physio lad, consultant said I’d a SLAP tear in my shoulder. I’ve started back boxing for the time being and we’ll see how it goes, if I can work in a bit of strength training too in future I’ll be sorted.

FTA69 wrote: »
    I’ve been having four months of bloody physio lad, consultant said I’d a SLAP tear in my shoulder. I’ve started back boxing for the time being and we’ll see how it goes, if I can work in a bit of strength training too in future I’ll be sorted.

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭caviardreams

:D:D:D That is too accurate.

It's funny I only ever used to DB bench for years, and never used a bar, and then a few years ago finally switched to barbells. After a long gap I went back to DBs as an accessory and they were wobbling everywhere, I was like WTF this never happened before!

It's definitely a good one to incorporate imo if only for the reason that it helps with stabilisation, and I also find you can tweak the range of motion etc. a bit more depending on what you are trying to target.

DB pressing helps with imbalances as well. I'd there's a weakness there, it will highlight it and help address it.

DB pressing helps with imbalances as well. I'd there's a weakness there, it will highlight it and help address it.

Oh, there’s an all round weekness with my bench!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Haha that definitely describes me trying to db bench press *flail*
    Did it this week for the first time in... Ever, maybe

Cycle 10 week 2 squat

Toe squats to 80kg

95kg x 3
    107.5kg x 3
    120kg x 3

105kg x 3 x 5

RDL 115kg x 3 x 6

Rev lunge 45kg x 3 x 10

Core
    Plank 1 min x 2

Leg curls 40.5kg. 12,12,11,7

Calf raises heavy x 3 x 15

I’m getting a bit of pain in my left hip as if it’s tight. I’ve never experience hip tightness so it’s very weird. The weight was fairly manageable today but felt a tad heavier than it should.

I’d love to say I paused all the reps on rdl. I did not. My hamstrings told me to cop on. Maybe the last 3 of each set but got a good stretch in all.

I nearly threw up a little when it dawned on me that I still had to do lunges. They were ok. Weight increased by 5kg.

I’m gonna alternate leg extensions with leg curls. Curls on squat day and extensions on deadlift day.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Foam roll glutes!
    Join the tight hips club!

bluewolf wrote: »
    Foam roll glutes!
    Join the tight hips club!

I roll me glutes almost daily with a lacross ball though.

I roll me glutes almost daily with a lacross ball though.

Which muscles do you address?

You used to just roll your flutes though. Maybe you're not doing it right ;)

Which muscles do you address?

You used to just roll your flutes though. Maybe you're not doing it right ;)

Haha, maybe not. I try to cover my entire flute area. And then the sides of my hips where it hurts like fcuk

• Advertisement

Cycle 10 week 2 Bench paused

55kg x 3
    62.5kg x 3
    70kg x 3

60kg x 3 x 5

B.B. rows 65kg x 3 x 8

Seated ohp 45kg x 3 x 8

Overhead pulls 24kg 4,stop

Cable fly’s/Db rev flys

Both elbows were in pain today from the first rep. Not bad pain but it has me concerned a little. It didn’t affect the benching at all. That actually went great and form felt solid. Bar path has made great improvements. It seems that ever since I stopped bicep curls, my elbows flared up. The only reason I feckin stopped them in the first place was to give my elbows a break!!
    As for the tightness in my hips, I think it’s the hip flexors in my left side. Please god don’t suggest rolling them

Overhead pulls gave my elbows a proper pain so they’re cut.

Rows and seated OHP were tough but just about doable.

Advertisement