Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I'd have the elbows a little more under the bar but other than that, no suggestions. Didn't move slowly at all.

To keep the bar tighter on my back?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,590 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    To keep the bar tighter on my back?

Yeah and you're less likely to get pushed forward if your hips come up first on a heavy squat.

That said, there are people that would disagree with that and what I'm saying is from my own experience so don't take it as gospel or anything. Worth trying and seeing if it works for you.

Yeah and you're less likely to get pushed forward if your hips come up first on a heavy squat.

That said, there are people that would disagree with that and what I'm saying is from my own experience so don't take it as gospel or anything. Worth trying and seeing if it works for you.

Will do. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I’d just second what Alf said, I used to squat with my elbows back, but tried changing it after it was suggested to me and now force my elbows down and forward before every rep. I really find it’s helped massively for me anyway.

Rep looked ridiculously easy all the same.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    I’d just second what Alf said, I used to squat with my elbows back, but tried changing it after it was suggested to me and now force my elbows down and forward before every rep. I really find it’s helped massively for me anyway.

Rep looked ridiculously easy all the same.

Thanks lads. It’s small tips and feedback like this are what helps most. Things I wouldn’t be aware of so all help is appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

looks good!!!

Just don't try to push them so they're vertical or you'll lose some of the tightness in your upper back. You'll feel the sweet spot when you do it.

Just don't try to push them so they're vertical or you'll lose some of the tightness in your upper back. You'll feel the sweet spot when you do it.

Ha No fear of that!. I’d say if my arms went vertical theyd be left like that forever :)

Cycle 12 week 3 Bench press paused

62.5kg x 5
    70kg x 3
    77.5kg x 1

72.5kg x 3 x 5 PB

T bar row 62.5kg x 3 x 10

Seated OHP 50kg

Shrugs

Pleasently surprised that I got 72.5 x 3 x 5 today. I was really expecting to fail and maybe get 5,4,4
    Slightly short on time so didn’t get through everything

Cycle 12 week 3 Deadlift 40mm deficit

Paused 1” off floor to 100kg

120kg x 2

137.5kg x 5
    155kg x 3
    172.5kg x 1 PB
    172.5kg x 1
    160kg x 3 x 1

Front squat
    60kg x 5
    75kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    95kg x 3

Leg extension 75 x 4 x 10

Deadlifts didn’t feel great today. Think my breathing was off or something. After videoing The first 172.5, my hips clearly went up first.
    So I went again. Hips were better but slightly rounded my back. It’s still a PB at this weight with a deficit but I would’ve liked it a bit cleaner.
    I went easy on the drop sets. Far too easy.

Front squats were grand. I stopped at 3 on 95 cause form was good, starting to get tired and didn’t want to do sloppy reps

• Advertisement

Well done.

Try keep away from technical breakdown on movements like that. Ultimately it's an accessory and losing form too much means you don't get the result you want to carry over.

As hard as it is, throttle back a bit :)

Cycle 12 week 3 OHP

45kg x 5
    50kg x 3
    52.5kg x 1

Stopped leak

Lat pulldown 90 x 3 x 8

Db Bench 28kg x 4 x 10

Shrugs

Cable flys/rev cable fly

Triceps/biceps

A different workout today. Got the main numbers done and then called to a leak.... and 6.15am. Drove, Got it stopped, in t shirt and shorts.
    As for the lifts, they didn’t feel heavy but my shoulders felt tired. When I got back to the gym I skipped the drop sets.
    Slight step back on the lat pulldowns. 95 is just too heavy for me right now. I’ll wait till I can do 3 x 10@ 90

Cycle 12 Deload Squat

Up to 100kg x 2

110kg x 1

120kg x 1

Snatch grip RDL
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 5

Mobility

Light leg curls

120kg felt a smidgen heavy at the bottom today. Probably because my brain was in lazy Deload mode. After coming out of the hole I really burst up and the bar nearly left my back at the top.

I said I’d have a go at snatch grip
    RDL. I felt it exposed my lower back a little. Can’t say I feel it in my lats at all.

For cycle 13 I’ve been toying with the idea of doing each lift on every day. Example
    Squat (531 template with no drop sets)
    Bench variation
    Deadlift variation
    Back
    Leg accessory

Not sure how I’d mix in OHP or just keep it on its own. Hmmmmm.

Just a thought.

Did you video the RDLs to see your form? They'll work your lats harder keeping the bar close.

Did you video the RDLs to see your form? They'll work your lats harder keeping the bar close.
    I didn’t video nope. It was my first attempt at them So I probably got them wrong. Was more playing around with them. If I add them in I’ll sharpen up on technique

I didn’t video nope. It was my first attempt at them So I probably got them wrong. Was more playing around with them. If I add them in I’ll sharpen up on technique

To be fair, maybe it was just cos it wasn't much volume but I'd have expected to feel them in your lats. Just focus on contracting your lats to keep the bar in close the next time.

Cycle 12 Deload Bench Press paused

50kg x 5
    60kg x 4
    65kg x 2
    70kg x 1
    75kg x 1

T bar row 1 handed
    20kg x 3 x 8

Seated OHP
    Bar x 4 x 12

Seated cable row 60 x 2 x 6

Cable fly/facepulls

A nice relaxing morning. 70 felt simple on the bench and that was meant to be where I stopped. But that’d make sense. 75 was pretty easy too so happy with that.

Cycle 12 Deadlift Deload

60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    120kg x 3
    140kg x 2
    150kg x 1

Front squat 60kg x 3 x 5

Leg curls light

Mobility/core

Not much to report on today. Going through the motions. Nearly fell backwards with a dodgy rep on front squat. It’s amazibg how the body re adjusts its natural balance or whatever it’s called cause the next 3 reps felt flawless.

Cycle 12 OHP Deload

Bar x 10
    30kg x 4
    35kg x 3
    40kg x 3
    45kg x 2

Lat pulldown 75 x 3 x 5

Db Bench 22.5kg x 3 x 6

Shrugs light

Light cable fly/lat raises

Just ticking a few boxes today. Nothing challenging at all.
    Starting cycle 13 tomorrow and have mixed things up a bit so looking forward to a bit of change.

Cycle 13 week 1 Squat

Toe squats up to 80kg x 3

97.5kg x 5
    112.5kg x 5
    127.5kg x 5 PB

Incline bench 45
    40kg x 3 x 8

Trap bar deadlift 145kg x 3 x 8

Shrugs 105kg x 3 x 15

Leg curls 49.5 x 3 x 8

Biceps 22.5 x 4 x 15

(Insert vomit emoji)

Ah no, wasn’t that bad :) . A different mix of excersises today. PB in the top set but it was uuuuggly. From the 1st rep I had no confidence that I’d even get 3, so in that I guess it was a victory getting 5. I don’t even remember the last rep.

Incline bench was weird. Practice needed.

Back to trap bar dead’s on squat day. Over a year since I did these. Very different to conventional DL. Very easy to snap your back in 2 if your not aware there’s no bar to lock out against. Good pump in quads and hamstrings all the same. Purpose served.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yay rep pr \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Incline bench was weird. Practice needed.

I still haven't gotten used to where to place the bar and bench

I still haven't gotten used to where to place the bar and bench

It’s so bloddy awkward isn’t it

Cycle 13 week 1 Bench Press paused

57.5kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    72.5kg x 5

Front squat
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    95kg x 5 (belt)

Pull ups BW X 3 x 7

Seated cable row 60 x 3 x 8

Cable flys/triceps

Something kinda clicked today regarding leg drive. I didn’t tuck my feet back as much and it really helped. Bar path get lovely, but last set felt a bit heavy.

Hip is acting up a little again but loosened up after front squats. 95 was heavy, but manageable and no sticking points.

Pull ups felt strong. Still hate them.

I’m enjoying mixing up the excersise.

Cycle 13 week 1 Deadlift. Deficit 40mm

Paused 1” off floor up to 100kg x 3

125kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    160kg x 5 PB

Dips +10kg x 3 x 8

Leg press 110kg x 3 x 10

DB shrugs 40kg x 4 x 12

Leg extensions 75 x 2 x 10
    1 leg extensions 25 x 2 x 10

I think 160 x 5 is a PB. Especially at a deficit, and it wasn’t too much of a struggle. I reckon I would’ve got 3 more.

Dips were handy.

Leg press was handier.

There’s been a slight pain in my right knee doing leg extensions the past few weeks. Didn’t go away today. Twas grand when I switched to single leg so I’m gonna work with that now with much lighter weights.

Did a lot of work on the muscles inside the knee (vmo) and just around the quad and it cleared up the knee soreness during leg extensions

Did a lot of work on the muscles inside the knee (vmo) and just around the quad and it cleared up the knee soreness during leg extensions

What kind of work ?

What kind of work ?

Lacrosse ball and roller. Vmo needed the lacrosse ball. Nasty.

Cycle 13 week 1 OHP

42.5kg x 5
    47.5kg x 5
    52.5kg x 4

RDL
    110kg x 5
    120kg x 5
    135kg x 5

Db Bench 28kg x 3 x 10

Lat pulldown 90 8, 5, 8

Chest fly/lat raise

Triceps

Fell short on one rep. I’m sure I’ll get it next time.

I don’t think I ever did 135 on RDL before. So PB that

Mistimed rest on lat pulldown, hence 5 reps

• Advertisement

Cycle 13 week 2 Squat

Toe squats to 80kg x 3

105kg x 3
    120kg x 3
    135kg x 3 NEW 3RM

Incline bench
    40kg x 8
    45kg x 8
    50kg x 8

Trap bar Deadlifts 150kg x 3 x 8

I was expecting horrible squats today. First fixed a gigantic house with underfloor heating the last 3 days so I was up, down, stooped over and on my knees the entire time. Legs and back very tired going in to the gym. Even warmups felt crap. But 3RM all the same. Felt decent too.

Short on time today and didn’t get through it all

Advertisement