Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Week 1 day 3

40kg x 7
    55kg x 5
    62.5kg x 3

67.5kg x 7 x 5

Light DB shrugs
    34kg x 3 x 10

Face pulls
    15 x 3 x 12

Core
    Ab wheel 3, 3, 5

Sit ups + 18kg x 2 x 10

Today was a nice session. The weight wasn’t too bad and I didn’t feel much weaker near the end. Technique is improving so much. Everything is tying in together nicely.
    One thing I really noticed in the later sets is that if I had a sloppy rep I struggled to get it back up.

Still nowhere near right on the ab wheel yet. I still have lower ab doms and it’s nearly a week since the 4 x 10. Hope I didn’t pull something

Day 4 week 1

Deficit deadlift

60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    90kg x 3
    120kg x 3
    130kg x 3
    140kg x 1
    150kg x 1

Single leg extensions x 4 x 10

Calf raises

Core ab wheel x 3 x 5

I won’t go too heavy on deadlift for this program and I’ll the reps low. Save myself for the Bench.

Abs a little better. Not a lot

Day 5 week 1

40kg x 7
    50kg x 6

70kg x 8 x 4

Wide grip shrugs light x 3 x 10

Core

I have to say it’s pleasing how this is going so far. Well doable but I’m not smiling yet as I know the hard work is ahead.
    My legs were tired after the final set. Must mean I’m using leg drive, I hope!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,590 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You'll probably only start to feel it on week 3 when the bench fatigue sets in.

You'll probably only start to feel it on week 3 when the bench fatigue sets in.

Something to look forward to :)
    Jesus I’d say this program would be horrible doing squats....I must look into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Core ab wheel x 3 x 5

The dreaded ab wheel. I remember about 5 years ago our soccer manager made us do circuits in the hall as pitch was too wet. One was the ab wheel it was 3 or 4 rounds and a minute at each station. I think the abs were sore for 6 or 7 days. I have one at home for about 2 years still haven't got the courage to go near it!

The dreaded ab wheel. I remember about 5 years ago our soccer manager made us do circuits in the hall as pitch was too wet. One was the ab wheel it was 3 or 4 rounds and a minute at each station. I think the abs were sore for 6 or 7 days. I have one at home for about 2 years still haven't got the courage to go near it!

The first cut is the deepest.

The DOMS are never as bad as the first time.

It does give serious doms in fairness. 3x5 is a recovery. A week ago I did 4 x 10 and it wasn’t too bad. But it had been a good while since I used it. I’m only coming right now

Day 6 week 1

40kg x 6
    50kg x 3
    60kg x 3
    70kg x 3

75kg x 10 x 3

Pull ups 3 x 7

Core
    Ab wheel 3 x 8

Doing the first in the main set I said to myself that this ain’t gonna end well. Didn’t think I’d go all the way.
    But weirdly, I felt as if I was getting stronger as the sets went on. Sets 4-8 in particular. Does that make any sense?

Abs finally recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yep happens to me. Sometimes i wonder did i not warm up properly

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yep happens to me. Sometimes i wonder did i not warm up properly

Ye kinda does. Now that I think of it, I’m getting a flashback of Hanley saying something similar about GVT and feeling stronger as the sets go on or something like that. Could be my imagination

• Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Happens to me too

Slightly related... Bench is 2nd exercise of the day after squats/deads for me most days. The few times it is first, it definitely feels heavier

I usually find that the working sets feel less difficult as I go on if I haven't done enough in warming up to them.

That said, I think you did more than enough on warm ups. Maybe don't do a triple at the last warm up when it's only 5kg shy of your working sets.

Week 2 day 1

40kg x 8
    50kg x 6
    57.5kg x 3
    60kg x 2
    65kg x 1

67.5kg x 6 x 6

Lat pulldown 60 x 3 x 12

Core

Biceps

This shoulder pain I’m getting just won’t go away. So far, it hasn’t even presented itself while I’m benching so fingers crossed.
    Sets went well, last rep was a little tough but saying that I’d have got 2-3 more probably.
    Next week is gonna be hard

You don't need to be doing warm ups at 60 and 65 before 6x6 with 67.5.

A single at 62.5 is all you need to do after 57.5

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Seconded

Week 2 Day 2

Toe squats to 70kg x 3

100kg x 2
    110kg x 1
    120kg x 1
    130kg x 1
    135kg x 1

Rdl
    100kg x 6
    120kg x 5
    130kg x 5

Single leg extensions

Leg curls

Hips were a bit tight today so I did some rolling in between sets to loosen up. Keeping the volume low but heavy enough. Rdl was very easy today.

Week 2 day 3

40kg x 8
    55kg x 5
    65kg x 2

72.5kg x 7 x 5

Rev cable flys

Core
    Ab wheel x 3 x 10
    Side plank raises +7kg x 3 x 10

Biceps

Again I totally doubted myself on set 1 and 2. No way I’d get through it all. I did, it wasn’t that easy though. The last rep near the end was getting Grindy sets 5,6,7
    Next week will be interesteing.

Give yourself time to have a bit more rest between sets next week

Give yourself time to have a bit more rest between sets next week

I’m taking 3 minutes at the moment. I’ve no problem with longer. Was that warmup ok?

• Advertisement

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I’m taking 3 minutes at the moment. I’ve no problem with longer. Was that warmup ok?

Warm up was fine. It was more juat to flag not doing more than you need to when you're doing 30+ reps of working sets.

Just be ok with taking more time on later sets next week. 3 mins should be fine but if it's getting slow/grindy towards the end, take a bit longer

Week 2 Day 4

Deadlift Deficit 40mm

Paused
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 4
    100kg x 3

120kg x 2
    135kg x 3
    150kg x 1
    170kg x 1
    190kg x 1 PB @deficit

Pull ups x 3 x 5

Calf raises x 4 x 15

Deadlifts moved easily today. I had no intention to go that heavy, and I could’ve gone heavier. I’d say I could’ve Matched my recent 1rm of 200. But on deficit, I wasn’t expecting that :)

Week 2 Day 5

40kg x 7
    50kg x 5
    62.5kg x 2
    70kg x 1

75 x 8 x 4

Core
    Ab wheel x 3 x 8

Form got better today as the sets went on. All last reps were heavy but well doable.

Talk about reinventing the wheel for evil. Fcuk u core

Week 2 Day 6

40kg x 6
    52.5kg x 4
    67.5kg x 2
    75kg x 1

80kg x 10 x 3

Pull ups x 3 x 6

Shrugs

Biceps

Today I stupidly changed my grip on the bar. What a silly thing to do on the hardest workout of the week.
    Sets 1-3
    I was more focused on the grip and everything else suffered. Leg drive and back tightness. After the third set I was cursing and felt there was no way in hell I’d complete the lot. Really struggled on the last rep of set 3
    Sets 4-7
    Refocused, pissed off and wrist straps on, the lift was transformed. They went up beautifully. Like I had taken 10kg off the bar. Really pleased.
    Sets 8-10
    Started to tire near the end, form stayed solid, last rep was slow but I was never in doubt that I wouldn’t make it.

Week 3 Day 1

40kg x 7
    55kg x 5
    67.5kg x 2

72.5kg x 6 x 6

Pull ups x 3 x 5

Ab wheel
    3 x 8

Sit ups
    +12kg x 12
    +18kg x 12
    +20kg x 12

Rev fly/biceps

Technique was pretty solid today. The odd shaky rep but all in all a decent workout.

Week 3 day 2

Toe squats to 80kg x 3

100kg x 3
    120kg x 2
    130kg x 1
    140kg x 1

Rdl
    100kg x 5
    120kg x 5
    145kg x 5 PB

Core
    Side plank raises +10kg x 3 x 10

The weight felt heavy today but I suppose squatting only once a week will do that to ya.
    I was considering doing another cycle of Smolov Bench but wanted to do Smolov Jr Squat too. I’m thinkin maybe squat cycle next to give the upper body a little rest or continue on after a Deload with Bench, then do squat? Any thoughts??. The plan is 2 more Smolovs if possible. Then with new 1rm hopefully, back to 5/3/1 in June and build up to testing near the end of year

Week 3 Day 3

40kg x 6
    52.5kg x 5
    67.5kg x 3
    75kg x 1

77.5kg x 7 x 5

Db rev flys

Shrugs

Today was tough. A concerning pain in my right wrist came out of nowhere after my first few warmup sets. I don’t think it impacted too much but certainly didn’t help.
    Set 5 was the best set and had the one I had the least struggle with.
    The last rep on 6 and 7 was ugly, ass off the bench, fighting not to be pinned kinda rep.

Welcome to the last week of Smolov Jr.

Take some extra rest before those last sets.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Dtp1979 wrote: »

I was considering doing another cycle of Smolov Bench but wanted to do Smolov Jr Squat too. I’m thinkin maybe squat cycle next to give the upper body a little rest or continue on after a Deload with Bench, then do squat? Any thoughts??.

My Squat and Bench training revolves around half pace (2 sessions per week) Smolov and Smolov Jnr for Squat and Bench respectively.

Modifications include:
    - Squat & Bench twice each per week (vs four) meaning each cycle takes 6 weeks (vs 3).

- Limit Squat worksets to 3 (e.g. 3x9, 3x7, 3x5, 3x3 .... vs 4x9, 5x7, 7x5, 10x3). This will prevent you getting beaten into the ground.

- Add a 10 rep drop set or two in the early days of Squats (e.g. in the first 4 of the 6 week cycle) when either weight is light or worksets aren't too taxing. Get rid of dropsets in the last couple of weeks as increased recovery required

- Superset all Bench with some kind of rowing (e.g Barbell Rows, Band Pull Aparts, Pull Ups).

- Blast through the worksets. Keep a list on your phone of the minute you do each set (e.g. 1) 04 2) 08 3) 12 4) 16 5) 21 6) 27. Here you can see that the first four sets were done with just 4 mins between each set... and then as you fatigued you took slightly longer with 5 mins and 6 mins break respectively for the last couple of sets. This will keep you focused to power through them and you won't be in the gym all day.

- Listen to podcasts vs music whilst training. Train your brain as well as your body :) There is only some many times you can listen to Enter Sandman before a set to get that artificial arousal. If you train calm you can perform better long term ahead of getting onto the platform (intrinsic motivation vs external).

- I've been doing the above for the best part of 4 years now - particularly on Bench which always seems to be inching upwards. Give it a try and see if it helps. Just my 2c.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all that. Definatley something to look at doing in the future. For the moment I was hoping to get back to 5/3/1 after giving my bench and squat a good kick in the arse. Bench moreso.
    I just can’t figure out how you knew I listened to enter sandman :)

Advertisement