Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Smolov Jr Squat week 1 day 2

Toe squats to 100kg x 1

112.5kg x 7 x 5

Mobility

Felt rubbish today. Hamstrings were in bits from monday. A bad dose of Doms. Shoulder tender after Physio, the place was roasting, and I don’t think my body is back to squatting mode yet. Didn’t start to feel right until the 6th set. I felt hungover.
    No jelly legs so that’s promising I guess

Edit
    Jumped on the concept2 rower after I typed the above. Rowed for the first time in about 7 years. Did 800m. It’s sonething I want to get back into doing at the end of a workout. Build some kind of cardio as I have NIL at the moment. Even 5 mins after each session would help

• Registered Users Posts: 17,547 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Has the physio ruled out any particular movement for now?

Has the physio ruled out any particular movement for now?

Anything that aggravates the shoulder. I know myself what does and dosent work and he seems happy enough to go with that. Squatting, luckily, is fine.

Smolov jr squats it is, then

Smolov jr Squat week 1 day 3

Toe squats to 100kg x 1

120kg x 8 x 4

Mobility

Concept 2 row 1,000m

Pleasant, is the last word I thought I’d describe 120kg x 8 x 4 as. But it was. Such a huge difference squatting when your body and mind want to play along. Dont get me wrong, there were a few struggles near the end and a few sloppy reps, but no dread or that uggghhh feeling.

• Advertisement

Smolov jr Squat week 1 day 4

Toe squats to 100kg x 1

115kg x 1

127.5kg x 10 x 3

This was a journey. Felt like forever. 4-5 min rests too. Feels like I’m my strongest at the very end. Leaned too far forward on set 6 rep 2 so I had to bail, Deload and reload weights. Fun.
    Re did set 6
    I put on my knee sleeves on set 8 cause I was starting to get afraid that I wasn’t coming out of the hole. Legs were like jelly. I have to say, 8, 9, and 10 were the best sets. Thank you sleeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Was it tough having to make the journey 5 times?

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Was it tough having to make the journey 5 times?

Nearly killed me tbh haha.
    I tried a few times earlier to post it. Kept saying error. I think boards was broke.

Smolov jr Squats week 2 day 1

Toe squats up to 100kg x 1

110kg x 6 x 6

Concept 2 rower 1,000m

Well that was simple. I mean SIMPLE! Jesus what a difference to 6x6 last week. I’m also pretty sure I did 7 sets.
    Knee sleeves are starting to feel great, giving me confidence getting out of the hole.
    Putting them on is a challenge. Slowly waxing my legs each time.
    Upper back quite sore and bruised from the bar too. I’ll survive

Took it easy today and did high reps/low weight on anything that didn’t piss my shoulder off. Some Russian twists at the end. Shoulder feeling a good bit better too

• Advertisement

Smolov jr Squat week 2 day 2

Toe squats to 105kg x 1

117.5kg x 7 x 5

Concept 2 rower 1,000m

Mobility

I’ve read a lot where this program will actually help your deadlift too. I hope that’s the case cause I miss deadlifting and would hate to see it move backwards.

Knee sleeves have been a revelation. Love them, but hate putting them on though.

I’m writing this as I do the work.

Sets 1-4 were grand. Set 4 the best by far
    Sets 5-7 were just as easy. Absolutely no struggles, but as expected, a little slower on the last reps of each set. Program picking up speed now and going great.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I kinda gave up deadlifting last year and added 15kg to it anyway so i guess there is spillover

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Love them, but hate putting them on though.

How my legs feel when I take off sleeves in this weather:

giphy.gif

Out of curiosity, what knee sleeves are you using? In the past few days I've used both SBDs and Yellowjackets. SBDs were awful to put on in this weather and similar to the above when i took them off! Yellowjackets weren't actually too bad.

Out of curiosity, what knee sleeves are you using? In the past few days I've used both SBDs and Yellowjackets. SBDs were awful to put on in this weather and similar to the above when i took them off! Yellowjackets weren't actually too bad.

I use SBD sleeves. I’ve only started using them. Never wore sleeves before so nothing to compare them too

I use SBD sleeves. I’ve only started using them. Never wore sleeves before so nothing to compare them too

Well that explains the difficulty so, they've the most difficult sleeves I've had to put on, and everyone I know feels the same.

Still love them at the same time though!

Well that explains the difficulty so, they've the most difficult sleeves I've had to put on, and everyone I know feels the same.

Still love them at the same time though!

Slowly falling in love with them myself.....and my legs have never been smoother :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,591 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If they're not difficult to get on, you've got them a size too big.

I have the next size up too and they’re too big so I’d imagine a bit tighter would be better

If they're not difficult to get on, you've got them a size too big.

Pretty much :pac:

• Advertisement

I had Rehbands and they're grand...though mine are probably a size too big so hard to give a like-for-like assessment...but the extra length of the SBDs does also make a difference as well.

How my legs feel when I take off sleeves in this weather:

giphy.gif

Haha that’s so true.

Overhead pull downs x 6 x 15

Single arm cable rows x 5 x 12

Db shrugs x 4 x 15

Cable rev flys X 4 x 15

Russian twists x 3 x 40

Biceps/triceps

Just stayed moving today. Boring enough but pumpy

Smolov jr Squat week 2 day 3

Toe squats to 110kg x 1

125kg x 8 x 4

Russian twists x 3 x 40

Ball roll ins 2 x 15

I don’t know why these folks can set the aircon to come on 30mins before the gym opens.

The sets themselves went pretty good. At no point did my legs feel weakened. Got a bit slow near the end. I enjoyed this session.
    Decided on some core instead of rowing cause I wanna keep my legs fresh for tomorrow.
    Taking the sleeves off is more refreshing than a cold beer in this weather.

Smolov jr Squat

Toe squats to 110kg x 1

120kg x 1

132.5kg x 10 x 3

There’s nice sunburn on my upper back, heavy enough bruising and now the skin is damaged. It didn’t affect the squats one bit though.
    A little slower than yesterday but overall I’m pretty happy. Didn’t really cause any issues. As the sets went on I actually reduced rest time
    I’m trying to be more efficient with the walk out too. 2 steps and squat ideally.
    It’s usually 2 steps and a little dance to get foot position right. The time dancing holding heavy weight on yer back adds up. Today wasn’t too bad, got it right most of the time

Video below is the 10th set. Legs were tiredish and not certain on depth.

https://youtu.be/9LFM9XXRECM

Second rep was just in on the side facing the camera. Others were the wrong side if borderline.

It happens (cutting depth), subconsciously, when fatigued but just keep an eye on it

I noticed my shins moving very forward coming out of the hole on rep 1. Is that wrong?

If you download Coach's Eye app, you can import videos and move through videos as slowly as you want and break down the movement. There are additional bits you can pay for but free version is enough

I noticed my shins moving very forward coming out of the hole on rep 1. Is that wrong?

Not necessarily. Could just be a mechanics thing and might be cos of stance width. Just based on side, its hard to say there's anything else at play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,486 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Nice shoes :):)

Advertisement