Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,805 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Smolov jr Squat week 3 day 1

Toe squats to 100kg

115kg x 6 x 6

Mobility

Concept 2 rower 1,000 m

Wasn’t too bad today. Legs felt a bit tired near the end. I’d say the next 3 sessions will be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,604 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A word to the wise: skip the C2 while you're doing Smolov Jr for squats.

If you add more fatigue on your legs than you need, then you're going to make the actual recovery time longer than you're getting and that will have a negative impact on the results you want to get.

Another light session with high reps mostly for upper back and arms. Nothin really worth writing about. All just about keeping the joints moving.
    Looking forward to getting back to deadlifting and dreading the thought of how much my bench has slipped back

Smolov jr Squat week 3 day 2

Toe squats to 80kg

105kg x 1

122.5kg x 7 x 5

Mobility

That went fairly ok. No sticking points, and at the very end I’d say I had 3-4 more reps In me. I won’t be able to get back to the gym until Monday so it’s an extra days rest. Shouldn’t make much difference

Smolov jr Squat week 3 day 3

Toe squats to 80kg x 2

110kg x 1

130kg x 8 x 4

Mobility

I’ve finally discovered how to put on sleeves with ease.

130 x 8 x 4 was surprisingly easy. No real troubles. No week 3 tiredness. I dunno what’s goin on, it’s great. Must be the extra rest day. A tad slower once again near the end but all in all pretty ok. Stepping out is much better now and I’m not standing around fixing my feet holding a heavy weight.

• Advertisement

Smolov jr week 3 day 4

Toe squats to 100kg

120kg x 1

137.5kg x 10 x 3

Coffee....double espresso and caffeine tablet

That wasn’t nearly as bad as it should’ve been.
    There was a few reps near the end where the fear kicked in, the fear that I’d go down but not back up. I think depth may have suffered slightly because of it. Kept shouting UP UP UP in my head. It got me up.
    Very happy I got through this program without injury. I was using less rest week 3 than I was in week 1. About a minute less.
    Now testing up next. Friday or Monday....any thoughts?
    I’d be pretty pissed off with anything less than 160

The way it's laid out is to test ion Day 4 of Week 4 so Monday.

Standing overhead pull x 3 x 15

Bench press paused
    Bar x 3 x 10

30kg x 1 x 10

40kg x 2 x 8

Shrugs 90kg x 4 x 20

Tricep cable pushdowns x 4 x 12

Shoulder dislocates

More tricep/biceps work.

Said I’d have a stab at benching. Went ok. Light as hell to see how me shoulder reacted. I was tempted to go heavier but no, not today. Not for a while I’d say.

Other big news of the day, I can do shoulder dislocates again :)

Triceps feelin mighty pumped

Overhead pull downs x 5 x 15 light

Shoulder dislocates x 3 x 10 :)

Seated 1 arm cable row x 4 x 15

Side raises x 3 x 15

Triceps x a lot

Biceps even more than

Bench press

Today was nothing more than a pumpy mobility session to keep the body ticking over. Looking forward to testing squat Monday and dying to Deadlift next week.

Smolov jr Squat week 4 Test

Toe squats to 80kg x 2

100kg x 1
    120kg x 1
    140kg x 1

152.5kg x 1 PB :)
    Tough, but went up quick

160kg x 1 PB :)
    Heavier than expected. Had a major sticking point half way up. Got through it though.

165 FAIL

Deadlifts. Finally.

100kg x 2
    120kg x 1
    140kg x 1
    160kg x 1

Had a rough weekend camping. Bad sleep on sat night at 2am my air bed deflated and I slept on hard ground with the worst sunburn I’ve ever had on my back.
    Dreading the thoughts of the bar on my back and rightly so cause it was torture. Like acid being poured on my back, and when I took the big breath the belt area felt like I was being whipped. Did it affect my squats? No. Not in the slightest. If anything the pain was a distraction from the weight. Happy enough with 160 but really was hoping for more. I think the struggle at 160 knocked me a bit. No worries it’s a 10kg Pb. Can’t complain.

The higher position with my belt Deadlifting was killing my sunburn so I took it off. It’s Prob the heaviest Ive deadlifted without a belt

• Advertisement

Bench press
    40kg x 4 x 7

Deadlift
    Paused 1” off floor to 100kg x 2

130kg x 1
    160kg x 1
    180kg x 1

140kg x 2 x 3

170kg x 1
    160kg x 3

Leg curls 40.5 x 3 x 12

Had a go at 50kg bench but it hurt so tooo it back to 40. They were grand. Gonna build it back up slow.

Deadlift was a mixed bag. Hamstrings felt very weak and smolov jr hadn’t the carryover I was hoping for.
    The first 160 & 180 were heavy and a grind.
    First set of 140 x 3 were heavy. Second set were as light as a feather. Finally.
    Next 170 x 1 was ok. Then 160 x 3 moved pretty well so maybe my body just needs a week to get used to pulling again

How's the shoulder?

How's the shoulder?

It’s a good bit better thanks. I have a lot more Rom but things like pull ups are out as they still aggravate it. Building the bench up slow too. I might try some light lat pulldowns tomorrow. Physio on Thursday

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It’s a good bit better thanks. I have a lot more Rom but things like pull ups are out as they still aggravate it. Building the bench up slow too. I might try some light lat pulldowns tomorrow. Physio on Thursday

Good man. I wondered if you were ploughing on doing stuff that might be aggravating it....only cos I try tell myself I'm not the only.one that did that :)

Had a shoulder problem before that I only really got rid of despite myself (giving up dips was the real cure)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Deadlift was a mixed bag. Hamstrings felt very weak and smolov jr hadn’t the carryover I was hoping for.

The day after u tested your squat??

Congrats on the big PR btw

bluewolf wrote: »
    The day after u tested your squat??

Yea but Shur yee powerlifters do it all in the one day :).
    Ah id say my body just needs to get used to Deadlifting again

Good man. I wondered if you were ploughing on doing stuff that might be aggravating it....only cos I try tell myself I'm not the only.one that did that :)

Had a shoulder problem before that I only really got rid of despite myself (giving up dips was the real cure)

I wouldn’t even attempt a dip now. Im gonna try be sensible and take it very slow, as frustrating as it is.

Yea but Shur yee powerlifters do it all in the one day :).
    Ah id say my body just needs to get used to Deadlifting again

Ye with training on all 3 and preparing to be ded the next day
    Take it easy on your legs and build it up

Ye with training on all 3 and preparing to be ded

I will indeed. The old me would’ve went for a Pb today hoping for some miracle. I had more in me than 180 but know my limits now.

Ye with training on all 3 and preparing to be ded the next day

One of the lads that competed on Saturday was in training squats last night. Light ones he said...before he did a set of 5 with 200kg.

• Advertisement

One of the lads that competed on Saturday was in training squats last night. Light ones he said...before he did a set of 5 with 200kg.

Oh right
    I just slept a lot and hobbled around :( we're usually instructed to take it easy for the week. I think the other club near me just aren't allowed into the gym for the week:D

Oh right
    I just slept a lot and hobbled around :( we're usually instructed to take it easy for the week. I think the other club near me just aren't allowed into the gym for the week:D

This lad isn't human. That's probably why.

I remember underestimating how ded I'd be after my first comp. Sure it was only 9 lifts and maybe 3/4 that would be near max, I thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

I helped rearrange a gym the day after my comp...it was harder than the actual lifting!

Bench press paused
    45kg x 4 x 6

Front squat
    60kg x 3 x 5

1” Deficit Deadlift paused to 100kg

130kg x 2
    150kg x 1
    165kg x 1
    165kg x 1 x 2
    140kg x 5

Seated OHP
    Bar x 3 x 8

45kg didn’t cause my shoulder any grief. My increase reps instead of weight next time

Only did front squats to Wake up the quads

Deadlift was grand. I changed taking the big breath to when I’m standing instead of down at the bar. It feels better. Not sure if that’s correct but I feels more solid pulling.

OHP was perfectly ok on the shoulder

Squat
    80kg x 3 x 3

Bench press paused
    40kg x 6
    45kg x 6

Deadlift 1” deficit
    80kg x 3
    110kg x 2
    130kg x 2
    150kg x 1
    170kg x 1
    190kg x 1

A few bodybuildery sets

Bench was a little sore today, not in a concerning way but in a way that put me off chancing 50kg

Deadlifts went well. Starting to get my groove back with them. 190 felt heavy but had some left in the tank so that’s promising.

I tried a lat pulldown but that wasn’t happening. Pain.

Bench press paused

40kg x 3 x 8
    45kg x 5
    50kg x 6
    55kg x 5
    60kg x 3 x 5

Alrighty then.... bench press wasn’t too bad. A little discomfort but well manageable. Maybe too much volume but I was happy to bench almost pain free so got carried away

B.B. Shrugs
    100kg x 5 x 12
    S/S
    Side lat raises 4kg x 5 x 12

DB rev flys 8kg x 4 x 12
    S/S
    Biceps x 4 x 12

The rest was handy enough. I may restart 5/3/1 soon enough

Deadlift 1” deficit

80kg x 5
    100kg x 3
    130kg x 2
    160kg x 1
    170kg x 1

Bench press paused

Bar x 10
    40kg x 8
    50kg x 8
    60kg x 3 x 5

Seated B.B. OHP
    Bar x 3 x 15

Side lat raises 4kg x 4 x 15

Jesus I’d hate to see how slow recovery would be if I had badly injured my shoulder!
    It feels more stable now and I had plenty more in me but I’ll do as I’m told as take it slow.

Bench press paused

Bar x 2 x 12
    40kg x 8
    45kg x 5
    50kg x 5
    55kg x 1
    60kg x 1

Felt a little pop during bar warmup and thought my shoulder had just fixed itself. It had not. Got a little sore at 55 and 60 x 1 hurt a bit so I stopped

B.B. rows 50kg 8, 8, 12, 15
    Handy enough, no shoulder issue at all. These are gonna become regular

DB shrugs 30kg 15, 15, 20, 20

Side lat raises 6kg x 4 x 12

Got me a new garmin watch/heart rate monitor.
    Resting heart rate between sets 85-100ish
    After set up to 120. I wonder would I be better off working up to 120bpm and judge my rest on how long it takes to get back down to say, 95bpm. Hmmmmm

Edit
    Concept 2 rower 600m. Heat rate max 190bbpm

Squats

Toe squats to 90kg x 3

115kg x 1
    130kg x 1
    140kg x 1

100kg 5, 13

Deadlift 1” deficit
    100kg x 3
    130kg x 1
    140kg x 1
    150kg x 1

Leg curls 40 x 4 x 10

Was hoping to work up to a 150 single squat but 140 was heavier than expected. Decided on 100kg x 2 x 5. Buuuuttt, when I put the 100 on my back it felt soooooo light after 5 so I did Alf on it and reps. I prob could have got to 20 but my cardio let me down, and my gluteus were on fire. It’s official, my heart rate monitor is shjt. It claimed 85bpm after the high reps but it fcuking was not!!

Legs were toast after squats so not much was gonna happen with deadlifts.

Leg curls just to finish me off.

• Advertisement

when I put the 100 on my back it felt soooooo light after 5 so I did Alf on it and reps.

How am I a thing now?

Advertisement