Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

bluewolf wrote: »
    outside like on a patio/paving is it?
    so tempting, at least then don't need to panic about lockdown

Technically, on brickwork at the side of the house that is currently mossy, which would be great craic to squat on. It would need work. Lots of it.

I don't see myself being able to use a gym with any kind of regularity for another year or two. I think getting some sort of setup that is cheap and could last some time in the elements is the best thing to do in my situation. So no proper rack/bench just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

These are relatively cheap

So I’ve placed the order and with some haggling I got 205kg of plates and an Olympic bar for 670 delivered.

6 - 20kg
    2 - 15kg
    4 - 10kg
    2 - 5kg
    2 - 2.5kg

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    So I’ve placed the order and with some haggling I got 205kg of plates and an Olympic bar for 670 delivered.

6 - 20kg
    2 - 15kg
    4 - 10kg
    2 - 5kg
    2 - 2.5kg

Getting carried away now. Ordered another 2 20kg plates. When I hit 260 deadlift I’ll buy more

Squat 120kg x 3 x 4

At a push I had 3 x 5, but I’m very happy with 3 x 4.

I went to a ‘physio’ on Tuesday. When I say physio, I don’t mean your everyday type of physio. I’m pretty sure I mentioned this guy before. He’s a nephew of Jimmy Conroy in Laois who who was a well renowned healer of sorts. Nobody is more skeptical than me with this kinda stuff. I don’t mean anything faith related or anything of the sorts. It’s all physical work done.
    Anyway, it took approx 10mins of a rub on my shoulder and the difference is amazing tbh. Very little pain today. Hopefully another couple of sessions will have it fixed.

Belt squat

50kg x 8
    70kg x 8
    80kg x 8

Not too bad. An unusual machine that get used to. I think it’d really benefit anyone struggling out of the hole.

Leg extension

55kg x 4 x 10

Nervous walking down the stairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,591 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I went to a ‘physio’ on Tuesday. When I say physio, I don’t mean your everyday type of physio. I’m pretty sure I mentioned this guy before. He’s a nephew of Jimmy Conroy in Laois who who was a well renowned healer of sorts. Nobody is more skeptical than me with this kinda stuff. I don’t mean anything faith related or anything of the sorts. It’s all physical work done.
    Anyway, it took approx 10mins of a rub on my shoulder and the difference is amazing tbh. Very little pain today. Hopefully another couple of sessions will have it fixed.

Giving it a rub is grand and all but if he didn't tell you what the issue is and how to avoid it then it might just return.

Bench press

50kg x 3 x 12, finally :)
    50kg x 8

Trap bar shrugs paused at top
    100kg x 4 x 12
    S/S
    D Rev flys
    10kg x 4 x 8

The pauses got less pausey near the end. Happy traps at the end of that.

Landmine shoulder press

35kg x 4 x 10

Lat pull down

100kg x 3 x 8

Strict slow Single arm tricep cable pull down at 45degrees in deadlift stance x lots.

Also, got my rack and bench yesterday. Got it for 300 in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Also, got my rack and bench yesterday. Got it for 300 in the end.

sooo jelly :D

sooo jelly :D

Plates coming tomorrow too :):).
    I put a bid in an eBay auction for 200kg of plates before I ordered tomorrow’s ones and I’m currently (unexpectedly) the highest bidder. I’ll let you know later this evening if I’ll be planning out a 460kg deadlift I’m my future. Hopefully someone will outbid me

• Advertisement

Just in time for Level 5

Just in time for Level 5

Yea good timing. I’d always rather go to a gym but I won’t complain that I have the facilities now.

Can we come too
    :D

Aw I hope they keep the gyms open and listen to that petition that's going around

Can we come too
    :D

Aw I hope they keep the gyms open and listen to that petition that's going around

All are welcome :)

Yes fingers crossed.

I’ve black and red spray paint bought so I’m gonna pimp my rack too

And now I’m the owner of another 200kg. Christ, that wasn’t meant to happen. Got them at a great price all the same

Broke but with enough plates to let Eddie Hall and Thor max out on deadlift simultaneously.

Got a refund on the last 200kg. Phew. They said they didn’t deliver to Ireland. The auction said they did. I didn’t fight them on it

@ NicolasdolesscroungervegancooliceCage
    The plates arrived. They come unpainted, which was disappointing but was grand once I stopped crying.
    The plates are pretty solid, outer edges good. Inner hole not flawless but fits the bar quite well. They’re made from 1/2” steel. They tend to move left to right until the collar is on tight. I have spray paint ordered to make them pretty and I might put a coat of varnish over the paint to make the finish it a little tougher.
    As for the weight, they vary between 19.3 to 20kg which is what you’d expect from uncalibrated plates. Now, it could be my scales that’s off. All in all I’m pretty happy and look forward to using them.

@ NicolasdolesscroungervegancooliceCage
    The plates arrived. They come unpainted, which was disappointing but was grand once I stopped crying.
    The plates are pretty solid, outer edges good. Inner hole not flawless but fits the bar quite well. They’re made from 1/2” steel. They tend to move left to right until the collar is on tight. I have spray paint ordered to make them pretty and I might put a coat of varnish over the paint to make the finish it a little tougher.
    As for the weight, they vary between 19.3 to 20kg which is what you’d expect from uncalibrated plates. Now, it could be my scales that’s off. All in all I’m pretty happy and look forward to using them.

Painting plates?

Fia.gif

Seriously though, why would you bother?

Painting plates?

Fia.gif

Seriously though, why would you bother?

Haha.
    Ah I like the colours.
    But on a serious note, mild steel is dirty, fingers always going black handling it, and that’s before the rust coating starts to appear on it

• Advertisement

I had a look on done deal and I thought they came painted, they looked that way if I found the right guy anyway
    Do u have a photo
    Did u get all 20s or what was the lowest plate

I had a look on done deal and I thought they came painted, they looked that way if I found the right guy anyway
    Do u have a photo
    Did u get all 20s or what was the lowest plate

Yea I assumed they were painted too. But to be fair it says in the description that they’re unpainted. Misleading. No photos yet but I’ll upload some.
    I got
    8 - 20kg
    3 - 15kg
    4 - 10kg
    2 - 5kg
    2 - 2.5kg
    A barbell
    All delivered €750

I would spray paint them as well. How can they be 20s if they're not blue!

Ta I won't need 200kg but may enquire for 100kg

I would spray paint them as well. How can they be 20s if they're not blue!

Ta I won't need 200kg but may enquire for 100kg

I didn’t need 460kg but almost had them haha.

Haha.
    Ah I like the colours.
    But on a serious note, mild steel is dirty, fingers always going black handling it, and that’s before the rust coating starts to appear on it

Ok that's fair enough.

I wouldn't paint the 20s blue though. My favourite plates in Raw weren't coloured.

Ok that's fair enough.

I wouldn't paint the 20s blue though. My favourite plates in Raw weren't coloured.

I was thinking of red for the 20’s but want do stay true to Rogue. Choices choices

Plus, colours are nice. It’ll make it more fun for my young lad when he’s loading the bar for me

Here it is roughly assembled with 165kg ready to squat. Purely for illustrative purposes of course. New J hooks ordered.

Nice.

Spacings for pins is ideal. Also, I like the non-painted plate

Nice.

Spacings for pins is ideal. Also, I like the non-painted plate

Tis grand yeah. Ah yea unpainted plates have a raw old school feel to them but my hands were like a coal miners today from loading the bar.

• Advertisement

Tis grand yeah. Ah yea unpainted plates have a raw old school feel to them but my hands were like a coal miners today from loading the bar.

Could you just seal them?

Advertisement