Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

what helped for me for the back (apart from drilling form obv) was hot water bottles and stretches and foam rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

bluewolf wrote: »
    what helped for me for the back (apart from drilling form obv) was hot water bottles and stretches and foam rolling

Oh I’m well used to back injuries from my MMA days. Yea I stretched the bejaysus outa myself last night and had the electric blanket on. It feels a lot better today

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Oh I’m well used to back injuries from my MMA days. Yea I stretched the bejaysus outa myself last night and had the electric blanket on. It feels a lot better today

i forgot about that!!
    cant wait to start classes again

i forgot about that!!
    cant wait to start classes again

Didn’t you no any form of cardio is bad for you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,602 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

They weren't from being an oul lad then though

• Advertisement

They weren't from being an oul lad then though

Not this time no. And I’m recovering much quicker than when I was 30 strangely enough

Not this time no. And I’m recovering much quicker than when I was 30 strangely enough

Only having a lend of ya.

Haven't really had any injuries to compare with. I could count on one hand the injuries that had me miss matches etc over the years so I've been lucky enough.

Only having a lend of ya.

Haven't really had any injuries to compare with. I could count on one hand the injuries that had me miss matches etc over the years so I've been lucky enough.

Well I am old, no doubting that. Maybe it’s the weights the last few years thatve made me stronger and increased recovery time.

Squat

Toe squats to 70kg x 4

95kg x 4
    110kg x 4
    120kg x 4
    130kg x 4
    135kg x 4

Theres far too much time between my squat days. Shoulder is feeling flexible and pain free. Anyway, I’ll post a video of the final set later. Please critique and pardon the swearing. They felt heavy.
    Again, ran out of time. At least I squatted and not wished I’d squatted.

• Advertisement

I’d say only the second rep was in, if even

I’d say only the second rep was in, if even

Just to give an idea, first and last reps:

Screenshot-20201130-204053-Coach-s-Eye.jpg

Screenshot-20201130-203841-Coach-s-Eye.jpg

Just to give an idea, first and last reps:

Screenshot-20201130-204053-Coach-s-Eye.jpg

Screenshot-20201130-203841-Coach-s-Eye.jpg

Thank you for your effort. They were fairly out alright. Do you think my hips shooting back is any better than the last day?

Thank you for your effort. They were fairly out alright. Do you think my hips shooting back is any better than the last day?

That was better alright. Not nearly as pronounced. Looks like you're staying a little more 'upright' and not letting yourself be pushed over.

Try pushing your elbows a touch more forward as well.

I don't think the depth will be that much of an issue. Just focus on what will feel like sinking it and you'll just get into a groove with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

2nd rep was grand, I’d say you just got in your head a bit and cut the others high because as you said they felt heavy.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. If you could add a second lighter squat day maybe try something like pause squats and make sure you’re hitting depth there and just get used to that bottom position. It would also help address the hips rising aspect so a couple of benefits.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    2nd rep was grand, I’d say you just got in your head a bit and cut the others high because as you said they felt heavy.

I wouldn’t worry too much about it. If you could add a second lighter squat day maybe try something like pause squats and make sure you’re hitting depth there and just get used to that bottom position. It would also help address the hips rising aspect so a couple of benefits.

Yep. An easy fix.

And they moved a lot better than the 130kg x 5 the last time.

Deano7788 wrote: »

Thanks. I have front squats to do another day

I record my last warmups and watch back to check form before the last sets
    Handy if u can do that on the phone

Coach's Eye app.

Free version is really handy

Bench press

55kg x 4
    60kg x 4
    65kg x 4
    70kg x 4
    75kg x 4

The last 2 reps were a struggle. I need to re focus on leg drive. I’m not using it enough.

BB row

72.5kg x 4 x 8

Handy enough.

• Advertisement

Deadlift

115kg x 4
    125kg x 4
    135kg x 4
    145kg x 4
    155kg x 4

Again I had little to no time. No front squats today. Deadlifts felt very comfortable. How did they look?
    https://youtu.be/Q4vniEyO6zY

How did they look?

Better than the curtains.

deadlifts look v easy

deadlifts look v easy

They felt easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Add fahve pounds.

Typed out my entire fcuking post and boards made it disappear. Thanks boards.

Today’s post, 2.0

OHP

35kg x 4
    37.5kg x 4
    42.5kg x 4
    45kg x 4
    47.5kg x 4

Slingshot bench

72.5kg 8, 8, 7

Because my plate holes are a tad loose I decided to glue 2 x .5 micro plates to my barbell. This will stabilise the larger plates when deadlifting. I also bought 2 rogue collars and it’s all dead tight now. So from now on I’ll essentially be lifting 1kg heavier than I post. This won’t matter until I deadlift 501kg and piss Thor off.

Weights moved ok today. I need to try get more done during the week as the time between workouts is far too great.

Wtf is going on with boards. Big long post deleted before I published it. Seriously annoying.

Toe squats to 90kg

105kg x 3
    115kg x 3
    125kg x 3
    135kg x 3
    140kg x 3

I’m pretty sure that’s the heaviest triple I’ve dine in a very long time snd it wasn’t nearly as tough as I thought it was going to be. Hips were definitely shooting back too but I was aware of this during the lift and did try to rectify it.

The curtain even photobombed the video;), sneaky devil

https://youtu.be/EVKCu9KogaU

Form has definitely cleaned up a lot over the last couple of weeks

One thing I'd say - and only cos I recognise it from my own - is to drive through to the top. It's like you ease up to lockout. It's not that thats what you're doing but just exert more force like you would if that was 150+ on your back.

• Advertisement

Bench press

60kg x 3
    65kg x 3
    70kg x 3
    75kg x 3
    77.5kg x 2 x 3

Did an extra set at the end as I was short on time again. Heaviest triple in a long time. The program is at the stage now where I’m approaching my old numbers. If I don’t get extra sessions in I’m gonna start struggling or have to cut numbers back.

Advertisement