Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Deadlift

100kg x 5
    120kg x 5
    130kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    150kg x 5

These were more than comfortable. Really happy with deadlifts these days.

Wishbone split squat

50kg x 3 x 10

5 kg more than the last day. Felt them near the end. They’re giving my glutes a great going over. Had to finish early today.

Found the actual piece of kit (well, he'd linked to where you can buy it) so you get a better idea of what it looks like

https://coahulla-iron.myshopify.com/products/belt-squat-attachment

Just looking at that, it’d be quite easy to make this floor mountable and not need to attach it to a rack. It’d be a great space saving home option for folks with no racks

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Deadlift

100kg x 5
    120kg x 5
    130kg x 5
    140kg x 5
    150kg x 5

These were mire than comfortable. Really happy with deadlifts these days.

Wishbone split squat

50kg x 3 x 10

5 kg more than the last day. Felt them near the end. They’re giving my glutes a great going over. Had to finish early today.

Nice work , is the wishbone split squat like a Bulgarian split squat , rear foot elevated? I did something similar with landmine attachment with barbell end resting on shoulders .killer .
    Also do you progress with the toe squats to a deeper plate over time ?
    Are you following a plan at the moment ?

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Nice work , is the wishbone split squat like a Bulgarian split squat , rear foot elevated? I did something similar with landmine attachment with barbell end resting on shoulders .killer .

My wishbone split squats are basically like lunges. Not brave enough to go Bulgarian yet. No I do t really progress on the toe squats. Just add them in as part of the warmups is enough. I suppose over time when I get reeeeaaaallllyyy strong then I’ll be warming up with 120 so I may be toe squatting that weight, therefore I will be progressing the weight.
    The plan I’m following is kind of like 5/3/1. It’s my own and it’s called 6/6/5/5/4/4/3/3/2/2/1/1. Just a stretched out version.

Sorry I misread part of the question. Yea a few times I’ve used thicker plates but I don’t really think too much into it. Once my toes are elevated at all, I’m happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Yeah Hanley used to get me doing them for first 3 warmup sets. Haven't done them in ages

Bench press 2

DB bench 29kg x 3 x 12

At my limit near the end of the last set. I might repeat until it’s a bit easier before progressing.

BB row 65kg x 4 x 12

DB ohp…. Nope. Shoulder didn’t like em

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Bench press 2

DB bench 29kg x 3 x 12

At my limit near the end of the last set. I might repeat until it’s a bit easier before progressing.

BB row 65kg x 4 x 12

DB ohp…. Nope. Shoulder didn’t like em

Savage man 29kg dB for sets of 12 that's some strength.

Savage man 29kg dB for sets of 12 that's some strength.

I’ll be happy to be breaking 30 soon. I did it for a brief spell 2 years ago then got lazy. Looking much better this time now that I have it integrated into a program

I’m well overdue a morning off so today I did a few SSB squats just to see. I might run these instead of low bar for a few weeks to give my shoulder a rest. It’ll totally mess up the squat portion of this plan I’m doing but so what, it’s not the end of the world.

60kg x 5
    80kg x 3
    100kg x 3

Just trying to find a starting point without tiring as I want to do these properly tomorrow.
    I felt it in my lower back a little, without the belt. Has the belt on for 100kg and it was fine. Feels like it’s forcing me forward. I’m assuming a more upright stance similar to high bar squatting is the right approach, mixed in with constantly pushing the bar back so it doesn’t throw me forward.

Assembled a new commercial hip thrust platform that I got for a very good price. I’ve wanted to re introduce thrusts with decent weight fora while. Lying on my back doesn’t give me the range of motion I require. Putting my back against my bench feels unsafe and unstable. As Goldylocks once said, this one is just right.
    Plus, as an added bonus, there’s a solid 5mm checker plate base with it and pins to the side so I can deadlift with resistance bands in the future, similar to that thingy Alan Thrall has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The SSB will 100% try fold you over so make sure you brace hard and keep your upper back tight. I always felt it in my core after.

Your some man for the gym equipment, you have me looking at them ssb bars now!

The SSB will 100% try fold you over so make sure you brace hard and keep your upper back tight. I always felt it in my core after.

Perfect thanks Alf. Glad to know I wasn’t imagining it

Your some man for the gym equipment, you have me looking at them ssb bars now!

Be very careful. It’s addictive. If you told me 6 months ago I’d have this amount of stuff I’d have slapped you.

Squat

SSB squat

80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    110kg x 3

Ohh the SSB adds a big kick to the squat. When you unrack the bar it feels as light as the weight should, probably lighter than normal as you’ve lovely padding. But as soon as you come out of the hole it’s a totally different ballgame. I like it. I got to 110kg x 3 and I probably had a sloppy fourth in me that I chose against. Something to build on anyway.

RDL 100kg x 3 x 6

Leg extension 50kg x 10
    GHR X 10
    Hip thrust 100kg x 8

Only had time for 1 round. I think I used to do 180/200kg x 10 glute bridges lying on my back. These are twice as hard with the extra range of motion. Awkward to set up for now because of the lack of space.

Bench press

55kg x 5
    62.5kg x 5
    67.5kg x 5
    72.5kg x 5
    77.5kg x 5

I changed my grip/hand angle on the bar today and I have to say it made a huge difference. They all moved grand. Don’t get me wrong, the last set didn’t feel light. I had Zero shoulder ache, which is a rarity these days and it gave me confidence not to hold back
    I think the best thing I did for my shoulders was the static hangs. They seem to be working great, touch wood.

Supersetted with abwheel 5 x 8

BB row 67.5kg x 3 x 10
    SS
    tricep push down 25kg x 3 x 15

Facepulls 25kg x 3 x 15

Deadlift

110kg x 5
    125kg x 5
    135kg x 5
    145kg x 5
    155kg x 5

Handy handy. Really happy with my deadlift these days.

Wishbone split squat

55kg x 3 x 10

I don’t find these particularly heavy but my god do they destroy the glutes and quads. I can see these becoming less fun as the weight increases

GHR
    8 , 10, 12

SS

Leg extension DL
    50kg x 13
    52.5kg x 12
    55kg x 12

I’ve started wearing my belt doing GHR. it really helps stabilise my back and isolates the hamstrings. Leg extension felt surprisingly strong today.

Your deadlifts are quality 155 X 5 is handy for you thats nearly 2 X your bodyweight very impressive.
    Them split squats I've never felt Dom's like doing split squats they are horrible , if I had sets of 10 to do I'd be dead by 7th rep and breathing like I just ran 100m flat out .Reminds me I need to start doing them again .

Db bench

32kg x 4 x 8

I’m fairly sure this is the first time I’ve Db pressed over 30kg. My dodgy shoulder got a whack of a car door yesterday so it’s sore but that’s only a surface bruise pain. The internal parts are grand. I clearly remember failing a single 28kg Db rep a few years ago in the gym and I havent really been doing these much so happy enough. I left reps in the tank too for each set.
    I’m starting to feel strong.

I’m gonna put my improving shoulder recovery down to static hangs. I try to get 2-3 in per workout. You’d never think it and it doesn’t make sense but I feel great after doing them. Thanks patsy.

BB row 70kg x 3 x 10

This is as heavy as I’ve ever lifted rowing, except this time it was pretty easy.

Underhand cable push downs 13 x 3 x 15
    DB Rev flys 15kg x 3 x 10
    Hammer curls 15kg x 3 x 15

You seem to have made major improvements since I started following your log , whats the secret ?
    On the dumbbell bench do you push both arms at same time ? I've seen alot of people online doing it with the arm that's not working in a raised position .
    You'd need strong wrists and foreman's even to get into position to do 32kg dumbell bench , well done you clearly didn't waste the lockdown time .

• Advertisement

You seem to have made major improvements since I started following your log , whats the secret ?
    On the dumbbell bench do you push both arms at same time ? I've seen alot of people online doing it with the arm that's not working in a raised position .
    You'd need strong wrists and foreman's even to get into position to do 32kg dumbell bench , well done you clearly didn't waste the lockdown time .

To be honest, I’d probably have done nothing during lockdown if I didn’t come across one of my customers selling his rack. It was by pure chance. It kinda grew (out of hand) from there so I’m very fortunate to have kept the wheels moving.

I push both arms at the same time. I’m still relatively new to dumbbell pressing. I remember the first time I did it describing it as trying to hold 2 wild terriers in your hands.

I don’t think wrist power is a factor. I’ve got in to a method of safely and comfortably getting Into position and back out without much effort. I can’t drop my dumbells as they’re adjustable snd woukd fall apart.

As for the secret, god knows, cause I certainly don’t. Creatine and consistency I suppose.

You seem to have made major improvements since I started following. .

I think what you’re seeing is me getting back to where I was well over a 1.5-2 year ago. I slacked off big time due to moving house/new baby etc. So now I’m back to where I was, maybe even further, which would always happen quick enough if I put the hours in.

SSB Squat

85kg x 4
    95kg x 4
    105kg x 4
    115kg x 4

A little heavier and an extra rep on the final set compared to the last day. The final rep was tough.

Hip thrust 105kg x 3 x 6
    Leg extension 55kg x 3 x 10

Hip thrust is very humbling. I may read up on perfecting the technique

GHR +5kg x 3 x 6

Bench press

57.5kg x 4
    65kg x 4
    70kg x 4
    75kg x 4
    80kg x 4

I honestly don’t remember the last time I did 80 x 4. Probably during smolov jr stupid cycle. Anyway, it moved well and I had a couple of reps left. Very happy with that.

BB row 70 x 3 x 12

Quick one today

Grinding a hard ball into the cheeks of my arse x 3 x 15

There was a niggle in my lower back that I couldn’t shake off. Usually warming up would sort it but not today so I decided to leave it after the first set. Instead of moving on to bench tomorrow I’ll try deadlifts again. Probably slept awkwardly on it.

In brighter news I got my hands on a Proform R600 rower which is a carbon copy of Nordictrack. Total cost €000. It’s far from being a concept 2 but I don’t need something that good, as I’ll only be using it a few times a week. Some guy on Donedeal was giving it away for free because he couldn’t fix it. I had it fixed in 20mins :). Only problem now is I have to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You mad yoke

You mad yoke

It was free, I couldn’t turn it down ;)

Excellent I've always wanted to get a rower . It seems like a great full body training tool. My plan is when the kids are older and I get some free time to join a rowing club .
    I've been looking online at rowers for a while , might have to get one now you have one !

Deadlift

115kg x 4
    125kg x 4
    135kg x 4
    150kg x 4
    160kg x 4

I was weary of my back throughout and that threw me a little. There was no pain thankfully and the weights were a doddle to be fair. Nice one.

Wishbone squat

60kg x 3 x 10

Oh my poor glutes and quads. These are a killer. I’ve never found anything that works my glutes as good as these. It’s way harder than using a barbell cause you don’t have to worry too much about balance/stability so you can load really challenging weight and it concentrates 100% on the legs. I had to sit down after each set.

GHR +5kg x 3 x 8
    SS
    Leg extension 55kg x 3 x 10

Legs in tatters

This morning I washed down a 200mg caffeine tablet with a double espresso. It helped.

• Advertisement

Excellent I've always wanted to get a rower . It seems like a great full body training tool. My plan is when the kids are older and I get some free time to join a rowing club .
    I've been looking online at rowers for a while , might have to get one now you have one !

You won’t get as lucky as me with a free one. Hold off a few months. I’d say DoneDeal will be flooded with them after gyms re open and people abandoning their home gyms

Advertisement