Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Bench press cycle 2 week 1

52.5 x 5
    60 x 5
    67.5 x 5 (+7)

Pull ups 3 x 8 :)

Dips +20 9,8,8

Shrugs 3x15 @105kg

Incline DB bench pres @20kg's 10,10,6

Tricep pulldown 4 x 12 @21kg

Core x 3

Had a friend around last night and some alcohol was consumed. With 3 cans of Guinness and 4.5 hours sleep I wasn't even expecting to get up at 5.30. But alarm went off and I felt fresh enough.

Bench felt great. I really focussed on controlling the bar and surprised myself with 12 reps. No.12 was the kind of rep where youre watching the bar go up but you don't know how it's moving cause your arms are dead.

Finally got 3x8 pull ups. I'd be happy to repeat that next time

Dips were hard but got an extra rep at the start

Shrugs were for the beach in 2 weeks

Happy to finally be using 20's for pressing

No biceps today cause my Elbow is so close to being perfect that I didn't want to jinx it for the sake of a pump.

Moral of the story....Guinness gives you strength, I wish

I would in my hoop. I'm only out of bed now and have gawked twice already. Gym postponed til tomorrow. Congrats on the pull-ups

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Squat cycle 2 week 2

Toe squats

77.5 x 3
    90 x 3
    100 x 3 (+8)

RDL 3 x 8 @110kg

One legged press 3x10 @60

Leg curl 3x10 @35.1

Calf raise 3x20 @100kg

Went well today. Squats felt good. Kept good form throughout. Maybe slowed up on last 3. I'd say I could've got one more.
    I used thicker plates for toe elevated squats. All in all today was good.

I dropped the lunges as they were just awkward and switched to one leg press instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

What was awkward about lunges?

Might be a stability issue with one leg that lunges would help with.

What was awkward about lunges?

Might be a stability issue with one leg that lunges would help with.

Awkward as in I never did them before so Ive no technique or experience. I don't really want to start something mid program that's gonna take a while to build up decent numbers. I might just work on them as a side project until I can do them properly.

Awkward as in I never did them before so Ive no technique or experience. I don't really want to start something mid program that's gonna take a while to build up decent numbers. I might just work on them as a side project until I can do them properly.

I wouldn't drop them. It's not about numbers per se either. You can start with static split squats. Unilateral work is important - single leg press isn't really comparable.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't drop them. It's not about numbers per se either. You can start with static split squats. Unilateral work is important - single leg press isn't really comparable.

Ok I'll give them another go

Ok I'll give them another go

They're straightforward but I get where you're coming from.

To give an example, I used do high box step ups with ~ 10kg DBs. When I stared I noticed less stability in one hip so was a bit less controlled going up and down. Just worked up to sets with 10-15kg DBs and there was an improvement for my squat.

It doesn't have to be big weight to make a big difference if you're addressing a weak link :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I looked up a video maybe scott herman. The reverse lunges are great imo

OHP cycle 2 week 2

37.5 x 3
    42.5 x 3
    47.5 x 3 (+6)

Lat pulldown @85kg 8,8,6

Seated ohp 3 x 8 @40kg

Seated cable row 3 x 10 @70kg

Shrugs 3 x 15 @105kg

Db rev fly 3x15 @10kg

Leg raises 15,15,20

Today I tried Alan thralls grip and technique. It felt great and I was sure, so sure that FTA69's jaw would drop when he was reading this. But it wasn't to be.
    First 2 sets felt great. No niggles or twinges and I really concentrated on technique. Maybe on set 3 I was over confident and slacked off on technique but 9 was my max. In my head starting off I was thinking 12. Lesson learned.

Lat pulldowns levelled off. Time to work for 3x8 @85

Seated ohp was tough but comfortable at 40kg. Forgot my new shiny fractional plates. Next time I'm catapulting up to 41kg!!!

Deadlift cycle 2 week 2
    112.5 x 3

127.5 x 3

145 x 3 (+9)

Skipped front squat

Hip thrust 3 x 10 @160kg

Leg extension 3 x 15 @50kg

Calf raises 3 x 20 @110kg

Slept it out today meaning I didn't get in till 6.30. Squat racks gone.
    Deadlift felt heavy but nonetheless I got me a rep record with 12 reps at 145. Today I think I was the guy making embarrassing groaning noises. I couldn't hear myself cause my music was so loud. I don't know what it is with deadlifting but after my big sets I always think I could've done 3 more.

Hip thrusts moved easier than last week so up the weight again.

Leg extensions as always, nearly made my legs pop.

Edit. When is a good time to test my max lifts? Maybe test and work out the calculations for cycle 3 off the new maxes(if I get any). I was thinking next week before deload. I don't think wendler says when to test so I'm. It sure.

• Advertisement

He recommends not testing for at least 3/4 cycles.

Edit: isn't the TM bumped up a touch through the cycles anyway?

He recommends not testing for at least 3/4 cycles.

Edit: isn't the TM bumped up a touch through the cycles anyway?

It is yes but I was just curious. I'll hold out for a month or so.

It is yes but I was just curious. I'll hold out for a month or so.

You're doing all the work in the right percentages for getting stronger anyway.

It's accepted that the training max won't be entirely relevant after a while and JW said testing is only really relevant if you're going to a meet.

But I get its a curiosity thing. Give it a bit more than a month and bang out bigger PRs!

Bench press cycle 2 week 2

55 x 3
    65 x 3
    72.5 x 3 (+5)

Pull ups 9,8,8

Dips +20 9,8,X

Shrugs 3 x 15 @110kg

Incline DB press 20's. 10,10,7

Tricep pulldown 4 x 12 @22.5

I'm starting to see that bench pressing is far more technical than I ever realised. Technique let me down as soon as fatigue kicks in. Although I can't complain too much as I got 2 more reps at this weight than I did a few weeks ago. Theres method to wendlers madness alright, and even though it doesn't feel like it, I am getting stronger.

Got an extra rep on pull ups so happy with that. As soon as I can do 3 x 10 @bw then I'll drop the reps and add weight.......to the belt, not my gut.

Dips were sluggish. On the first set I felt a pain in my chest muscle, right in the centre where the muscle joins the chest plate. It didn't get any better for set 2 so I aborted set 3. Feels like Clarence Kennedy poked me in the chest with his finger now.

Incline bench was ok. My left arm is slightly weaker than the right. Thats quite evident on the last 2 reps. Hopefully not too long before I get 3 x 10.

I was just watching an alan thrall video about retracting them scaps
    I think i do that already but i can't get the arch

bluewolf wrote: »
    I was just watching an alan thrall video about retracting them scaps
    I think i do that already but i can't get the arch

His beard distracts me but he does explain things well :)

Squat cycle 2 week 3

Toe squats 20, 40, 50, 60 x 3

85 x 5
    95 x 5
    107.5 x 1 (+5)

RDL 3 x 8 @ 115kg

BB Lunges 20, 30, 40 x 10

Leg curl @40.5 10,10,8

Calf raises 3 x 20 @120kg

Started off my toe squats but as usual I always think "maybe I can do a low bar squat, I feel flexible today" and 2 mins later I'm pissed off that I can't.
    Well not today. A massive 60kg on my back high bar, I rolled it down into the low bar position (stupid, yes I know) and away I went.
    Happy they felt ok I did all my working sets low bar. So distracted was I, that I did 2 extra reps on set 2. I'm sure form was dreadful and at time I could feel myself push from the toes so there's a lot of work needed. On set 3 I didn't push myself too hard and just did 6 reps. Delighted I have the ability to do these now. I really thought they were beyond me flexibility wise
    I think the main reason I persisted with them is because I've always been flexible and hated letting a mobility issue get the better of me.

RDL were the heaviest I've ever done I think

Lunges were ok although the weight was non existent. Just trying to get technique correct. Actually I think it was reverse lunges I was doing. Felt them in the glutes a good bit.

No core today. I wish I had the will to do core work every session

OHP cycle 2 week 3

40 x 5
    45 x 3
    50 x 1 (+5)

Lat pulldown 3x8 @85kg

Seated ohp @42.5kg 8,8,6

Seated cable row 3x10 @70

I feel I'm getting weaker on the higher reps stuff here. Disappointed I could only manage 6 reps. I'm going back to look over technique again cause I know I'm better than 6.

Lat pulldowns are the most I've ever done at that weight. I'll do a few more sessions at 85 until I can move it easier near the end before I go up to 90.

Question: on deload week, I'm aware of what to do on the main lifts, but for everything else, do I just do the same lifts and decrease the weight on them a good bit?

I do next to nothing at all on deload haha

Question: on deload week, I'm aware of what to do on the main lifts, but for everything else, do I just do the same lifts and decrease the weight on them a good bit?

You can decrease weight or decrease reps, ie drop a set

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    I do next to nothing at all on deload haha

Well I'm going to be in Spain for deload week so doing next to nothing won't be a struggle :).

After deload week, do I just restart my accessory work where I left off?

After deload week, do I just restart my accessory work where I left off?

If you want. It's accessory work so it's not hugely important to jump back in. You could knock 5kg off or just jump back to where you were

Bench press + Deadlift cycle 2 week 3

Bench press
    60 x 5
    67.5 x 3
    75 x 1 (+5)

Deadlift
    120 x 5
    135 x 3
    152.5 x 1 (+7)

Dips +20. 3 x 10

Pull ups 3 x 7

Tricep pulldowns 3x10 @24kg

I couidnt make it to the gym yesterday so had to do a cramming session today.

Bench felt good today movement wise. Possibly had another rep but didn't want to push too hard because of deadlifting next. My left side is definatley becoming more noticeable as my weaker side. Any tips on fixing this??

Deadlifts moved well too. 152.5 started to feel heavy around rep 5 so I was happy enough with 8.

Dips were a personal best today. Twas hard but I got the 3 x 10. I'll do a few more sessions until I find them a tad easier before I up the weight.

I felt tired for the pull ups. I'd have been happy with 3 x 7 a few weeks ago so I won't complain today.

Deload time, and sun

My left side is definatley becoming more noticeable as my weaker side. Any tips on fixing this??

Single leg work. Split squats, Bulgarian split squats, lunges.

Single leg work. Split squats, Bulgarian split squats, lunges.

I'm sure they're all great but I was talking about my bench press.

I know...

What makes you say your left side is the weaker?

I just ask because sometimes it seems as though one side takes longer to lockout on one side because you're locked out the weaker side first and the stronger is picking up more than its fair share.

What makes you say your left side is the weaker?

I just ask because sometimes it seems as though one side takes longer to lockout on one side because you're locked out the weaker side first and the stronger is picking up more than its fair share.

Never thought of it that way. Usually on the last couple of reps I notice the right side goes up easier and near the top the left side can be lower at times.
    I'd also notice my left side tires quicker doing shoulder presses or incline presses using dumbells

• Advertisement

1 week deload turned into 2 weeks doing practically nothing.

Squat LB

Toe squats up to 60kg

77.5 x 5
    87.5 x 5
    100 x 5 (+1)

RDL 3x8 @100kg

BB lunge 12 steps 30,50,50

Leg curl 3x10 @40.5

Calf raises 3x20 @ 110

Light curls

Don't know if it was my extended lazy break but I really struggled today. Only started low bar squatting on my last squat day so hopefully it'll improve now that I'm back at it. Mobility was shocking and the main reason I stopped at 6 was the pain in my shoulders. Lots of shoulder mobility from now on.

RDL's were easy enough

Lunges are ok, taking my time with them as they're so new to me.

Leg curl reps pb.

Advertisement