Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,600 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It does, and thank you. Much appreciated

It looks like I'm listing off a lot of negatives (most of them I know because I've been told them myself :)) but they're only small, easily-made tweaks that should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,802 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It looks like I'm listing off a lot of negatives (most of them I know because I've been told them myself :)) but they're only small, easily-made tweaks that should help.
    I wouldn't call it negitave. Constructive criticism would be a better phrase.
    I've no problem hearing things from people who know better, and you do know better than me. It's the only way I'm going to learn!

Cycle 3 week 3 Bench Press

62.5 x 5
    70 x 3
    77.5 x 1 {+4}

Pull ups 10,7,6

Dips +15. 3x8

Shrugs front 2 x 12 @110
    Shrugs behind 2x12 @110

Incline DB press @20's. 10,9,10

Triceps pull downs x 4 sets

Widened the grip further so now my little finger is at the outer ring. It felt like I had more control of the bar and I did feel strong but my arms were very shaky pushing the bar near the top. Don't know what that's about. Even on the lighter sets.

Happy with the incline press. No pain in the shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

My grip is always pinkies on rings and I'm way shorter than you. Does that mean my grip is too wide??

FTA69 wrote: »
    My grip is always pinkies on rings and I'm way shorter than you. Does that mean my grip is too wide??

Theres 2 sets of rings on my bars. Not sure if that's standard?

• Advertisement

A wider grip shortens the range of motion but it may not necessarily be where you're strongest.

A wider grip shortens the range of motion but it may not necessarily be where you're strongest.

Maybe that's why my arms were shakey

Cycle 3 Deload

Toe squats

50 x 5
    60 x 5
    70 x 5

RDL 3x8 @70kg

Leg curl 3x10 @31kg

Calf raises

Plenty of mobility

It feels weird doing so little in the gym. I felt like a lost puppy wandering around trying to fill the time.
    I wasn't too happy with shoulder mobility in the squats. Other than that everything was handy

You do need them though, I'm about to do six weeks on the bounce now and I'll probably not get optimal results without the deload I think.

You do need them though, I'm about to do six weeks on the bounce now and I'll probably not get optimal results without the deload I think.

Don't be afraid to attenuate the accessory work if you're feeling a lot of fatigue.

• Advertisement

Did you not just do a deload recently

Did you not just do a deload recently

Oh I did yeah; I mean I'm in holiday in four weeks so will have to squeeze two cycles back to back so the deload will coincide with the trip away.

Cycle 3 OHP Deload

OHP

lat pulldown 3x8 @50

Seated ohp 3x6 bar

Shrugs 2x10 @28 Db's

Triceps/biceps light

Core light

Ohp was more about form today. I think I found the sweet spot in regards my grip width today. Hard to know until I test heavier. Form felt great and weight didn't go over 35kg. Lots of shoulder mobility too.

Everything else was so easy.

Core is something I wish I did every day.

Cycle 4 week 1 Squat

Toe squats up to 60kg

80 x 5
    90 x 5
    102.5 x 5 (+3)

RDL 3x8 @100kg

Barbell lunge 3x10 @40kg

Leg extension 3x12 @45kg

Leg curl @45.5kg 10,8,8

Calf raises 3x15 @100kg

Should I be so wrecked from my first workout after deloading?

Anyway, warmups were all ok. As soon as I started the last set form went to the dogs. Every single rep was a different example of how to do a squat incorrectly. Seeing as I'm getting a bit wiser in my old age, I decided to abort the set. My legs were fine, weight wasn't an issue but I was risking injury. Had another 5-6 in the tank

Brought back the weight on RDL's causeof that weird headache I got a while back. I'll increase weight wit caution.

Barbell lunges were gonna get scrapped for cycle 4 but I decided to keep them in at the last minute. Glad I did. Form was spot on and my ass will be sore tomorrow.

Feel as weak as a kitten now.

Cycle 4 week 1 Bench Press

Warm ups/shoulder mobility

55 x 5
    62.5 x 5
    72.5 x 5 (+2)

Pull ups 9,7,7

Partial bench press upper 3x8 @70kg

Dips +10 3x8

Shrugs 3x12 @100

Rev cable fly 3x12 @4.5
    Biceps 3x12 @19.5
    Triceps 3x12 @19.5

Tough aul workout. I thought I'd do better on the bench. I'll keep this grip for another session and see how it goes next time. I'll put this performance down to weakness back after deload. Either that or I'm worse at benching than I thought.

Pull ups are soul destroying. I might drop the reps back and add weight.

Partial bench. Using the pins holding the weight about 6" off my chest, I push up, lower back to the pins, stop dead then go again. Harder than I thought it would be.

No elbow pain after pumping of guns. Happy

For the partial bench does it say to have the bar 6" off the chest?

No it's the nearest I can get it with the settings. Next one down and the bar is on my chest. Next one up isn't far from where my arms are straight. Plus it's probably where I feel weakest. Right at that point so hopefully it'll help

Should they be closer than 6"?

I did think it was probably a limitation of the rack/bench you were using so there's not much you can do.

I just asked because I thought it might be akin to a board press or pin press, neither of which would (usually) be that high off the chest.

That being said, if it's working your lockout in the range you feel weakest, then that's what counts.

I did think it was probably a limitation of the rack/bench you were using so there's not much you can do.

I just asked because I thought it might be akin to a board press or pin press, neither of which would (usually) be that high off the chest.

That being said, if it's working your lockout in the range you feel weakest, then that's what counts.

Thanks.
    Do your think I'd be better off doing fewer reps and higher weight or high reps/lower weight like I did today?

• Advertisement

Thanks.
    Do your think I'd be better off doing fewer reps and higher weight or high reps/lower weight like I did today?

Higher reps. It's an accessory. The main event will look after the higher intensity.

Actually, brain fart earlier....it's not much different to a floor press. I went full durrrr earlier.

Cycle 4 week 1 deadlift

110 x 5
    127.5 x 5
    145 x 5 (+1)

Anderson squat 3x8 @70kg

Hip thrust 3x10 @210kg

Kettlebell swing 3x20 @20kg

Calf raises 3x15 @110kg slow

Getting out of bed was hard today. Doms all over my lower body thanks to squats on Tuesday.
    I concentrated on form today and stopping dead between reps. All felt good and I probably had another 4 in the tank but I held back because Anderson squats were coming up, I had no idea what they'd be like and doms doms doms.

Anderson squats were grand. Did a manageable weight and I'll increase slowly each week. Also good for my shoulder mobility to get in to low bar position twice a week.

Hip thrust will be going no heavier. The weight is killing my hands. I'm gonna drop back to 180 and see how it goes

Kettlebell swings are a blast from the past. Nothing heavier than 20kg in the gym. I might do an extra set next week

Had to google what an Anderson squat was, looks good. Have you read about Anderson himself, what a badass.

Had to google what an Anderson squat was, looks good. Have you read about Anderson himself, what a badass.

I did indeed. Old school

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

So you rack it low and start from the bottom?

bluewolf wrote: »
    So you rack it low and start from the bottom?

You can just unrack it as normal, squat down until it's resting on the pins and squat back up.

They're pin squats by another name.

You can just unrack it as normal, squat down until it's resting on the pins and squat back up.

They're pin squats by another name.

Ye pretty much that

Cycle 4 week 1
    37.5 x 5
    42.5 x 5
    47.5 x 5 (+4)

Lat pulldown 3 x 10 @65kg

60deg DB ohp @16kg 12,12,10

Seated row 3x10 @70kg

Db shrug 3x12 @40kg
    S/s
    Light curls

Rev cable fly 3 x 12@ 4.5
    Biceps 3 x 10 @19.5
    Triceps 3 x 10 @19.5

Ohp moved a lot better and I was solid up to the end. Can't complain.

Slightly higher volume for the rest. Was gonna do T bar rows instead of seated towns but someone was using it.

• Advertisement

Cycle 4 week 2 Squat

Toe squats to 60kg

85kg x 3
    97.5kg x 3
    110 kg x 3 (+6)

RDL 110kg x 3 x 8

Barbell lunge 45kg x 3 x 10

Leg curl 45.5kg 10,8,10

Leg extension 47.5kg x 4 x 12

Calf raise 110kg x 4 x 15

No air con this morning and the place Was hot. Everything felt heavier, probably because of the weekend break. 9 reps @110 so I can't complain. They weren't perdy but I get them done.

RDL were grand.

Barbell lunge gives my glutes a great pump. I'll stick with these.

Never thought I'd enjoy going to the gym at 6am to do leg day. I like this program.

Advertisement