Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl gravy contaminated by paint thinner

Options
  • 18-12-2016 1:04pm
    Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://news.sky.com/story/paint-thinner-chemical-in-lidl-gravy-granules-forces-recall-10699825

I have this. My son has eaten it. His communication skills are poor (special needs), so I can't be 100% sure that he isn't experiencing any of the symptoms listed. He's only had a small amount, and I certainly won't be buying anything from that brand again.

Annoying part is the talk about a refund. Sorry we may have poisoned your kid, have your euro back.

Ffs

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Is it not just in england though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If you eat anything even with the smallest amount of xylene you'll notice it "Most people begin to smell xylene in air at 0.08–3.7 ppm (parts per million) and begin to taste it in water at 0.53–1.8 ppm" https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2996004/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I'd be off to a&e to get your son properly examined op to be on the safe side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

MarkR wrote: »
    http://news.sky.com/story/paint-thinner-chemical-in-lidl-gravy-granules-forces-recall-10699825

I have this. My son has eaten it. His communication skills are poor (special needs), so I can't be 100% sure that he isn't experiencing any of the symptoms listed. He's only had a small amount, and I certainly won't be buying anything from that brand again.

Annoying part is the talk about a refund. Sorry we may have poisoned your kid, have your euro back.

Ffs

Have you eaten it?? Did you notice anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Gatling wrote: »
    I'd be off to a&e to get your son properly examined op to be on the safe side

Why?? To sit in A&E for hours so they can run what test exactly???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,819 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What would they have been using xylene for at the factory? Is it to clean the tanks or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭jockeyboard

You can ring poisoins hotline (there really is a thing...) in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

You should contact them to see if it was sold in Ireland. If you have the packet they should be able to check the batch number.

Xylene gas can be toxic at low levels but you would have to ingest quite a bit to have effects from food. The safety levels of chemicals set for food are typically much lower than the actual levels that cause harm.

If you are concerned you should bring him to the GP on call service who can contact the poison centre in Beaumont (http://www.poisons.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

Ffs

I'm sure they said on the news yesterday that it doesn't apply to Irish stores as its a different supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭xlogo

It's UK only - not Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Have you actually seen a recall notice, apart from a Sky report?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

xlogo wrote: »
    It's UK only - not Ireland.

alot of that pre packed/pre made/non perishable stuff is sold in ireland and uk though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

neris wrote: »
    alot of that pre packed/pre made/non perishable stuff is sold in ireland and uk though

True, but is this product and these batches?

Let's stick to facts .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

You don't have to take the refund if it's so annoying.

What else do you expect them to do OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I have a tub of it, part-consumed, and have just emailed Lidl to ask if there is a risk with product sold in Ireland. I'll report back with any response I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Ask Lidl to confirm if the batch number you have is one of those affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

The affected batches have not been sold in Ireland. The recall is for the UK only.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Have you actually seen a recall notice, apart from a Sky report?

lidl's pdf is in this linked on this link

https://www.food.gov.uk/news-updates/news/2016/15836/lidl-uk-recalls-kania-gravy-granules-because-of-chemical-contamination

I see on other sites 10ppm is allowed in drinking water in places. I wonder how much was in the lidl product, could well have been below that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

Firstly its UK only.
    Secondly its just 2 batches
    Thirdly, try and avoid reading these articles in the hysterical sensationalist media such as Sky, daily muck, sun etc.

According to daily muck, it could cause "coma" - yes it can if you drink paint thinner straight from a bottle.
    Read the Irish Times and its more reasonable in reporting.

If it was in any way serious to health, people would have been advised to get checked.

Moral of these things is just avoid reading or listening to the hysterical media - they rarely write the truth.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I rang their customer service this morning, and they assured me that the affected batches were only in the UK.

Still binning the one I have.

• Advertisement

I rang their customer service this morning, and they assured me that the affected batches were only in the UK.

It will be a good Christmas for Bisto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Why? It's a perfectly good product that's not affected.

Why? It's a perfectly good product that's not affected.

While I agree my wife is doing the same and its just not worth the row for something worth a couple of euro (I've not checked the price).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

When in doubt, chuck it out. Why would you do anything else for the sake of a few Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Del.Monte wrote: »
    When in doubt, chuck it out. Why would you do anything else for the sake of a few Euros.
    That tub of gravy has as much in common with the affected product as anything else in your cupboard, should you throw everything out to be safe?

TheChizler wrote: »
    That tub of gravy has as much in common with the affected product as anything else in your cupboard, should you throw everything out to be safe?

Hardly. I wouldn't trust the gravy though for the sake of a few Euros. What's to say that there won't be another press release saying that the contamination was more widespread than first thought?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

They put paint thinner in it and don't spot it until it's on people's plates and you trust them to know what batchs are affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I would imagine, and obviously I could be completely wrong, that a product made by the same manufacturer, using the same process, in the same facilitates, by the same people, would have the potential to have more in common with a different batch of the same product, then it would have in common with a totally different product, made by totally different people, in a different location by a different company....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I would imagine, and obviously I could be completely wrong, that a product made by the same manufacturer, using the same process, in the same facilitates, by the same people, would have the potential to have more in common with a different batch of the same product, then it would have in common with a totally different product, made by totally different people, in a different location by a different company....
    My point exactly. The Irish version is made by a different supplier according to someone in this thread.

• Advertisement

My point exactly. The Irish version is made by a different supplier according to someone in this thread.

Is this what you mean? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102003743&postcount=11

An anonymous poster on a Boards.ie thread says it's a different supplier is hardly what I would make a decision based on. Anyway, I make real gravy.

Advertisement