Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl gravy contaminated by paint thinner

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MarkR wrote: »
    I rang their customer service this morning, and they assured me that the affected batches were only in the UK.

Still binning the one I have.

Did you ask what other lidl products are made in the factory? you might have others

https://lovindublin.com/news/lidl-are-recalling-this-popular-product-due-to-discovery-of-harmful-levels-of-chemicals
    UPDATE: It has been confirmed that Kania Gravy Granules being sold in Irish Lidl branches are not affected.

https://twitter.com/lidl_ireland/status/810441790604120064
    Lidl IrelandVerified account
    @lidl_ireland
    .@LovinDublin any chance you could be a bit more responsible in your reporting re gravy recall? Ireland not affected but you fail to mention

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I have a tub of it, part-consumed, and have just emailed Lidl to ask if there is a risk with product sold in Ireland. I'll report back with any response I get.
    As promised:
    We have been advised by our quality team that this was isolated to Lidl UK and does not affect Lidl Ireland or Lidl Northern Ireland.
    I'm going to keep using the tub that I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭wally79

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Is this what you mean? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=102003743&postcount=11

An anonymous poster on a Boards.ie thread says it's a different supplier is hardly what I would make a decision based on. Anyway, I make real gravy.

That was me. I put below comment earlier to clarify but doesnt seem to have posted. I'm definitely not a reliable source

"I heard it was a different supplier on newstalk a few days back but have no other source to quote on that"

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭endacl

T-Maxx wrote: »
    You don't have to take the refund if it's so annoying.

What else do you expect them to do OP?

New kid.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

endacl wrote: »
    New kid.

:mad:

This isn't After Hours.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    It will be a good Christmas for Bisto.

actually there is a bisto gravy being recalled too, along with plenty of other stuff.

http://www.tesco.ie/product-recall/
    Bisto chicken 170g granules
    We have identified a quality issue in Bisto chicken 170g granules so we have taken the decision to recall this line.

We have identified a manufacturing fault affecting a single batch of Bisto For Chicken Gravy Granules product that may result in the presence of small metal pieces.

As a precautionary measure we are recalling a single batch of 170g Bisto For Chicken Gravy Granules with the following production code printed on the base of the packaging:

BBE JAN 2017
    L5208
    What you should do:
    Anyone who has purchased one of these products should avoid consuming it but retain the packaging and contact the following number for a full refund:

No other Bisto products are affected.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

Contact details:
    For further information please contact the Tesco Customer Services team on 1850 744 844.

if given the choice I would have the one which might have traces of xylene over the metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

who would do such a thing??

a disgruntled employee?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

fryup wrote: »
    who would do such a thing??

a disgruntled employee?

It's not just a paint thinner, it's a cleaning solvent, at a guess someone used it to clean something that directly contacts the product e.g mixing bowl etc. and it wasn't properly sanitised afterwards.

It's not just a paint thinner, it's a cleaning solvent
    yeah, possibly a non food safe cleaner was used by mistake or something. If it was proper amounts it would absolutely stink. This is why I was interested to see the actual levels. It is permitted in drinking water, which you drink pints of, vs 50ml or so of gravy made up with a small amount of powder.

if the same papers were reporting the "bits of metal" in the bisto they would likely describe it as "metal, the lethal substance used to make rusty stanley blades".

If alcohol was not readily drank they would describe contamination as "solvent used to degrease tractor engines"

Just like they always describe the drug ketamine as "horse tranquilser" and neglect to say its also used as anaesthetic for kids at higher doses than your typical drug user takes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭OCEANIC FIZZY POP NINE

rubadub wrote: »
    yeah, possibly a non food safe cleaner was used by mistake or something. If it was proper amounts it would absolutely stink. This is why I was interested to see the actual levels. It is permitted in drinking water, which you drink pints of, vs 50ml or so of gravy made up with a small amount of powder.

It's not really permitted as such, theirs alot of nasty stuff at some level or another in drinking water that really shouldn't be in it but it'd cost to much to get it out so then you get these permitted levels.

• Advertisement
Advertisement