Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From 5k to HM 2017

• 18-12-2016 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

So I'm a sporty 23 yo but by no means fit especially not at distance running. I've set my eyes on running a 10k and HM in 2017 (Dublin in Sept Maybe?)

I need some accountability and some maybe some advice from more seasoned runners hence I've started this training log.

I've done the C25K kinda...started at week 5 or 6 ran for a few days a week done a couple of 5k myself and gave up again times were around 30mins

Now I've started the 5k to 10k app and I've just finished week 2 day 2. The run today was 10min steady run 2 alternating 2mins fast run and 2mins jog and then 8mins steady run to finish...I ran 4.5k in those 20mins but there was a huge incline for last 8mins.

So far over the 5 runs I've found there's is no difference in my steady run or jogs and by last steady run I'm just happy to keep my legs moving. ..is this bad?

After 2 out of 5 runs my lower back was a bit sore is this to do with technique?

I do a 5 min brisk walk before starting run should I include stretches there or after run?

Is a HM in September unrealistic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Kennyg71

Welcome to the logs Shaunac, best luck with 5-10k plan wouldn't worry about
    Pace for now, just finish off plan as running is all about consistency, you need
    to build slowly and incermetly. If you build up to 4 days or more running over
    next 5 months you would be able to take on plan for HM September IMO.

As fitness increases so will your pace, some time in late May or early June you could start HM plan and would have better idea where you stand. In mean time
    Parkrun is great addition to training you could use this to improve speed. But
    maybe finish off current plan first do a 10k and see do you have appitite to push
    on.

Best luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Week 2 Day 2 today....35 min steady run and I got to 5.5km which I was very pleased with as I felt like I still had energy in the tank...maybe enough for 10 more mins (7km total).

Rest day tomorrow and tempo run Wednesday.

Found my shins hurt a little starting off today but stopped about 2km into run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Best of luck with this and your goals for next year, hopefully this log will help you stay on track and you get great advice in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The best of luck with the plan. The half marathon won't be a bother to you.

Re advice . Be consistant , find a hm plan that looks realisically achievable and follow that and enjoy .

1mile charity run for goal yesterday 8min 11sec so 5min/km pace and there is a very big Hill about half way on route that is a leg and lung killer. Very happy with run

• Advertisement

So fell off the wagon for last week and a half with a very busy festive season.

Back running week 3 of my 5k to 10k plan tomorrow and watching what I eat.

Just wondering is there any app where I can map different routes without running them. I hate walking long distance home cause I misjudged distance or time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

walkjogrun, the website is free, think you have to buy the app.

Or gmap-pedometer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

shaunac93 wrote: »
    So fell off the wagon for last week and a half with a very busy festive season.

Back running week 3 of my 5k to 10k plan tomorrow and watching what I eat.

Just wondering is there any app where I can map different routes without running them. I hate walking long distance home cause I misjudged distance or time

Welcome back! I've used mapmyrun for making up routes. If you're not sure of a distance/time, out and backs or loops are good ways of keeping your runs under control.

So have 4 weeks of 5k to 10k program complete now and its going well.

First one or two runs back after Christmas were a bit of a killer but have settled back into a routine now and i'm enjoying it.

Steady runs are going well, am up as far as a 45min steady jog with no real issues and covering about 7.5k in this time

Tempo runs are my enemy though! find that they kill me altogether and i get extremely breathless and tired doing them and struggle with an 8-10 min jog after them because i cant control my breathing as well as when doing steady jog. hopefully it will improve with training.

12/27 runs complete and this week is a recovery week. looking to do a 10k at end of February to test myself before starting to train for HM. Can anyone recommend a nice race to do as my first 10k preferably a relaxed atmosphere and flat course?

Also anyone know what the cause of sharp pinch in ball under big toe while running is. happened in run tonight for first time and its very uncomfortable

Link to screen shots of my runs https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7e1quvRmc2hM2xvVmZkODJhS00

hey guys so i started a new job which means i'm not home til 6 or after in the evenings but i do have an hour off everyday so i was just wondering instead of trying to do runs at night on country roads could i do same program on a treadmill with same benefits of running on the road? so my short run and interval run will be done on a treadmill and long run done on a road at weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

shaunac93 wrote: »
    hey guys so i started a new job which means i'm not home til 6 or after in the evenings but i do have an hour off everyday so i was just wondering instead of trying to do runs at night on country roads could i do same program on a treadmill with same benefits of running on the road? so my short run and interval run will be done on a treadmill and long run done on a road at weekend?

Honestly don't see any issue with that, but someone who has experience on a treadmill could probably tell you better. In your hour off you can run on a treadmill, is that a gym you are going to? Does your work place have showers? If so take your gear with you and head from work and back.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Honestly don't see any issue with that, but someone who has experience on a treadmill could probably tell you better. In your hour off you can run on a treadmill, is that a gym you are going to? Does your work place have showers? If so take your gear with you and head from work and back.

Yeah its in a gym and next door to office so plan is to go in run for 20-30min, 10min showe and change and 15min for wrap before heading back to work

So my plans to run at lunch in work failed miserably for man reasons so I've do no jogging last few weeks but had been doing other fitness training (camogie and swimming) got home early from work last night and with the nice weather and longer evening I decided to test myself to see how far I could run now.
    Really surprised myself by doing 8.5km in 53.32 minutes and although my legs were struggling a little near the end I felt that if I had to I would have squeeze 1.5km more outa it...so that's given me a great boost and I'm going to keep it up now and book in for my first 5k and 10k in next couple weeks.
    Estimated time for 10k would be 1hr 4 mins but would hope on race day to get it under 1hr. Is that an average or slow pace?

Advertisement