Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barbara - 23rd December 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

very sensible from Met Eireann, a good early warning issued,even if the impact is small.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

Maybe a yellow warning for this thread too?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

gugsy wrote: »
    Maybe a yellow warning for this thread too?

Too early...

Pretty much set that the weather is to become unsettled, but, it is too far out to have any real idea as to the detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Although I like a good storm to liven the winter up , I am delighted to hear the danger has passed for Christmas. I remember the Christmas period storms of 1997 and 1998... no power for 4 days. Awful time. It looks like Friday will be windy but nothing that we don't experience two or three times a year in Donegal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Although I like a good storm to liven the winter up , I am delighted to hear the danger has passed for Christmas. I remember the Christmas period storms of 1997 and 1998... no power for 4 days. Awful time. It looks like Friday will be windy but nothing that we don't experience two or three times a year in Donegal.

It's a 'fluid' situation at the moment, too early to call it for Christmas Day. Keep an eye on things over the next couple of days.

I remember the storm in 1997, knocked out the power where I am in North Tipp for a couple of days. We had to up sticks and celebrate Christmas with the cousins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

certainly is, way to early to call either way at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

hopefully we wont get this storm, the last thing anyone wants is storms and power outages during Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

fraxinus1 wrote: »

I remember 1997 and 1998 as if it were yesterday. Awful time indeed. 1997 was Christmas Eve and 1998 was St Stephen's Day. IIRC the worst of the wind did not last all that long but it was savage and extremely destructive for about an hour or 2. 1997 was in general a very weird year of weather. There was 5 days nonstop (and I mean nonstop) rain in August and it was a mild, wet, windy and generally nasty winter.

2013/2014 saw a return of this awful kind of weather and I remember a nasty but not as destructive storm on St Stephen's Day of 2013. This was part of a 2 month period of wet, windy and often stormy weather from mid December 2013 to mid February 2014. The worst event of this period was Darwin, the worst storm since the ones in 1997/1998. This was on the 12th February and was one of the last events of this awful period of weather.

Last winter was full of nasty storms across a period from late October 2015 right through January of 2016. Eva and Frank were the ones around Christmas but they were not as bad as the ones from 1997 or 1998 or Darwin.

Let's hope we don't get anything like this. A problem seems to be that when this weather starts, it does not know when to stop! While there seems to be no real danger for Christmas, one could get a succession of these events for the 2 months after Christmas. Heaven forbid, a blizzard could happen at some stage if wind and snow met. I don't ever remember a blizzard but people who were around in the late 1970s remember one from around February of 1978.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

How would this affect flights into Dublin on Saturday? I'm due to land midday roughly...

AND if the flight got redirected, what airport would be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

How would this affect flights into Dublin on Saturday? I'm due to land midday roughly...

Hopefully you'll land midday smoothly:p

• Advertisement

zerks wrote: »
    Hopefully you'll land midday smoothly:p

I'm not bothered by a bump landing, it's just the getting home part after flying from Ivalo > Helsinki > Dusseldorf > Dublin :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

On the 12z gfs the storm on the 23rd basically misses the entire country to the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

The Christmas day storm is still clipping the NW (nothing too strong) on the 12z gfs but it will be little more than breezy in my part of the world....

f course the ecm may yet stay as was on its last run...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭sjb25

Gonzo wrote: »
    hopefully we wont get this storm, the last thing anyone wants is storms and power outages during Christmas.

I'm working Christmas Eve and day 12 hr shifts with a generater in work.... so let it blow the place down bah humbug :(

Ha I joke hopefully won't be to bad I'm working but don't want to be busy and if it's stormy il be busy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Main wind events appear to be Friday and Sunday, Saturday appears to be the lull in the middle.

It all depends on wind direction, if its directly westerly/northwesterly, Dublin will cope fine, if the wind is a very strong and gusty southwesterly, you'll likely be diverted to Shannon or Belfast, possibly Cork. Sometime flights divert to Liverpool and Manchester, but that's usually Ryanair once Shannon gets full.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Main wind events appear to be Friday and Sunday, Saturday appears to be the lull in the middle.

It all depends on wind direction, if its directly westerly/northwesterly, Dublin will cope fine, if the wind is a very strong and gusty southwesterly, you'll likely be diverted to Shannon or Belfast, possibly Cork. Sometime flights divert to Liverpool and Manchester, but that's usually Ryanair once Shannon gets full.

Thanks man! Here's hoping Belfast as it's closer to home for me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Absolutely delighted to hear about Friday's possible storm. Am flying cork to Newcastle in a turbo prop, terrifying in itself but add strong winds to the mix and I'm fearing for the amount of zanex I may have to injest....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

which counties will get the brunt of this

goat2 wrote: »
    which counties will get the brunt of this

Clare, Galway, Mayo, Sligo and Donegal by my guess, secondary then probably Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Leitrim, Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

I think met eireann must still be viewing yesterday's charts.
    Over reacted, it's now looking windy and nothing more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

One of the few times that I am genuinely delighted to see a major downgrade in the forecast! Gales and rain are no bother but some of the potential scenarios earlier were worrying. To be honest I have gotten use to the near calm conditions so far this year. The better weather has made this side of th ed winter go quicker as I have been able to get outside to do stuff around the house on most days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Put together some of the model projections for Fri as it stands at the moment

3HtRdUk.gif?1

LZQE8Bb.png

UcgW0dm.png

CTVHuDz.png

RQnP7FT.gif

nG2HPvy.gif

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fair shot of rain also in the W and NW.

fE7qLKU.jpg?1

STzxK0H.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Significant jog north as often the case in these situations.

However, a lot more model output to trundle through before the event - so expect more changes.

A continued northerly trend in the track of Friday's low.

If we disregard the 0z runs I suppose it was always suggested it would track in this sort of direction.

A vigorous low nonetheless will create dangerous conditions along Atlantic coasts.

gfs-0-90.png?18?18

A lucky miss on the 18z.

gfs-0-96.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Poor RTE TV forecast after nine news, nothing beyond Friday shown

Villain wrote: »
    Poor RTE TV forecast after nine news, nothing beyond Friday shown

Suppose they don't want to give a Christmas day storm if they're not sure of it actually happening.

GFS 18z brings widespread gales on Christmas Day. Very windy nationwide, particularly across the northern half of the country.

You'd probably expected a 60-65kt gust at Dublin Airport in that setup.

gfs-0-141-3h.png?18

• Advertisement

GFS 18z brings widespread gales on Christmas Day. Very windy nationwide, particularly across the northern half of the country.

You'd probably expected a 60-65kt gust at Dublin Airport in that setup.

All the flights will be diverting!

Oh wait...... :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement