Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Barbara - 23rd December 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Latest available forecast for Cork is only going to the 10am-12pm time frame tomorrow, which is giving wind 240 degrees 25 it's gusting 45kts. Stobart (Aer Lingus Regional) ATR's can use RWY25 so you should be fine.

What does all this mean? Sorry again. Though I follow this forum haven't a clue half the time what things mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Burts Bee wrote: »
    What does all this mean? Sorry again. Though I follow this forum haven't a clue half the time what things mean!

Aer Lingus Regional aircraft can use the crosswind runway at Cork airport, so even though the wind is a strong crosswind on the main runway, they can use the crosswind runway.

Jet aircraft cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Latest available forecast for Cork is only going to the 10am-12pm time frame tomorrow, which is giving wind 240 degrees 25 it's gusting 45kts. Stobart (Aer Lingus Regional) ATR's can use RWY25 so you should be fine.
    Burts Bee wrote: »

The actual windspeed at the airport isn't as important as the direction of the wind. Crosswinds are the problem. If the wind direction is sufficiently aligned with a runway that aircraft can use, then the aircraft can still land and take off.

RWY25 is code for a runway at 250 degrees, if the wind is at 240 degrees then the wind speed isn't a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I've a post in the following thread regarding the forecast for tomorrow and the possible disruption, not looking particularly bad.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057685017

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Rather than start a new thread, I have edited the thread title for (the impending) Storm Barbara, and, I have given it Level 1 status as Level 1 is probably appropriate for most of the country...note...this may be revised.

If another named storm is to follow soon, a new thread will be started in relation to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Gusts up to 120kph forecast for the Donegal coast, not too severe for this part of the country but I'm still looking forward to getting out and feeling its full force. There's a 230m high hill right on the coast near me so will try and get some footage if it's safe to go

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Gusts up to 120kph forecast for the Donegal coast, not too severe for this part of the country but I'm still looking forward to getting out and feeling its full force. There's a 230m high hill right on the coast near me so will try and get some footage if it's safe to go

be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The weather has been boring for so long now and I dont think this storm will be anything more than the bit of wind and rain we usually get:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

It looks like it's going to be a bit of a non event but I'm glad my skip full of construction debris and light papery stuff was removed yesterday!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

These Xmas storms don't look too bad going by the 9 news. I think we've been very lucky this Autumn/Winter and a bit of bad weather over Xmas will actually be nice. It will force us all to relax in front of a nice fire.

• Advertisement

Boggy Turf wrote: »
    These Xmas storms don't look too bad going by the 9 news. I think we've been very lucky this Autumn/Winter and a bit of bad weather over Xmas will actually be nice. It will force us all to relax in front of a nice fire.

what if you d rather be outside? im going looking for the big waves tomorrow:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Boggy Turf wrote: »

Thank god for this. We had enough storms last year as well as end of 2013 and start of 2014, and then Christmases 1997 and 1998 were totally ruined by them. Christmas 2010 was ruined by a disruptive spell of snow that lasted a full month from end of November to St Stephen's day. While one remembers Christmases like 1997, 1998 and 2010 vividly it is for all the wrong reasons: either power cuts, not being able to go out and about or just being jaded by what seems like a never ending spell of poor weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Christmas 2010 was ruined by a disruptive spell of snow that lasted a full month from end of November to St Stephen's day.
    Burst pipes all along my street. Total mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

catbear wrote: »
    Burst pipes all along my street. Total mess.

That was typical of that spell of weather. The reality of a White Christmas was nothing like what one saw on a card!!

That was typical of that spell of weather. The reality of a White Christmas was nothing like what one saw on a card!!

lying b*stards! damn you god!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭Boggy Turf

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    what if you d rather be outside? im going looking for the big waves tomorrow:)

I am swimming in Salthill at 1pm on Xmas day...that will do me!

I wonder will Teresa Mannion be there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Met eireann is giving an Orange weather warning Achill Coast Guard is issuing a Red warning.

Whats the latest weather predicitions from those of you in the know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Met Eireann 2210 update, just a normal wet and windy day for most

Wet and windy tomorrow with gusty southerly winds veering westerly through the day. Heavy rain during the morning will turn more showery in the afternoon. Highest temperatures of 8 to 11 degrees but feeling cold in the wind and rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Met Eireann 2210 update, just a normal wet and windy day for most

Wet and windy tomorrow with gusty southerly winds veering westerly through the day. Heavy rain during the morning will turn more showery in the afternoon. Highest temperatures of 8 to 11 degrees but feeling cold in the wind and rain.

I actually read that as a year! And i'm sober:D

I was saying to myself God Met Eireann are really upping their game with their new Long Range Forecasts:D UK Met Office are only in the ha'penny place:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

nagdefy wrote: »
    I actually read that as a year! And i'm sober:D

I was saying to myself God Met Eireann are really upping their game with their new Long Range Forecasts:D UK Met Office are only in the ha'penny place:)

Sure your not under the influence?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

Sure your not under the influence?

Sober as a judge Jim! Unless the brandy butter i had on mince pies was made out of pure alcohol;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Horrible wet and windy morning here in Galway. Winds not too bad - but the heavy rain has side roads full of hidden pools of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

Very wet and windy here in Roscommon. I think it's only to be showers in the afternoon hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

Very wet and windy in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

That cold front closing in on the west coast looks potentially quite sharp:

sss.gif

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

2mm of rain overnight but Winds are picking up speed. Max gust so far 63km/h. Main rain band a bit delayed compared to what the models were forecasting. Actually nice to hear that roar of the wind. It's been a while.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

Rough enough here in Kerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Strong gusts in North Sligo. Nothing unusual except it's been virtually gale free so far this winter so it is rob ably appearing worse than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

yikes, rather rough down here in cork city. i'm flying today, seriously hope Barbra will have calmed down by four o clock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭swampgas

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    yikes, rather rough down here in cork city. i'm flying today, seriously hope Barbra will have calmed down by four o clock

Have a look at the short range forecast for wind - should be much calmer in Cork by 4pm.
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement