Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode marketing

Options
  • 18-12-2016 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭

I’m prompted by the annoying adverts for Eircode. Are my marketing antennae so out of tune that (to me) they appear absolutely stupid and on par with the early adverts for Harvey Norman. Prior to the launch of Eircode there was great hoo-hah and crowing about pent-up demand, anticipated rapid take -up and speedy adoption.

I’ve been using postcodes for decades, both in work and while living overseas (and I still remember them, mostly!). They work, have a logic to them (e.g. those in France, alpha by Départment) or the manner in which the ZIP codes in the USA ‘roll’ across the US with State and city identifiers. I am in favour of efficiency/ automation and progress but, the ‘logic’ of Eircodes and the current marketing campaign for them broadcast at every adbreak is going straight over my head.

Am I missing something when I ask “What is the value or incentive of increasing from a permitted 15 to now 50 look-ups as a ‘special offer’ for Christmas?” Does Eircode really believe that people are going to be thrilled to sit in front of a screen looking up Eircodes? Who is bothering with them, particularly when there is no legal obligation to use one on mail? And if I’m using one from overseas it has to be written in a different address line, which would suggest both styles on any headed stationery!

And why do they have three styles in their marketing material? Is it Eircode or EirCode or eircode

Have we another Irish Water / voting machines on our hands?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I also wonder why I should feel thrilled to be able to look up more Eircodes than normal on their site before it locks me out.

Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Dades wrote: »
    I also wonder why I should feel thrilled to be able to look up more Eircodes than normal on their site before it locks me out.

Bizarre.

<<Makes the finger rubbing motion>>

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

It sort of works in Google maps in that it finds the map location but not the actual address. Pretty basic in the modern world and not that useful for confirming delivery addresses etc. Lower level leaving cert standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭mrawkward

It gets better or should that be worse? http://www.thejournal.ie/eircode-loophole-3149653-Dec2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Do people not get a warm fuzzy feeling when they receive presents, bought exclusively in Repak member shops, with the Eircode included in their address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

mrawkward wrote: »
    It gets better or should that be worse? http://www.thejournal.ie/eircode-loophole-3149653-Dec2016/

I know this isnt Politics but man he is such a waste of oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

As someone who needs to find new addresses which could be in the middle of nowhere often enough, I find them pretty handy and always love when a customer includes them in an email, it's like a guarantee that you'll have no problem finding the exact house and because it's all done by GPS coordinates, your GPS will always take you to within a few meters of the house and not mix you up with another similar road name miles away that.

I can't see any private users exceeding the daily limit, I'm not sure why the limit is there, but I've never exceeded it myself either, but now that you can search for them direct in Google maps, it's even better too.

Handy tip, if you're looking up an eircode on a laptop, compared to on a mobile/tablet, the resolution of the screen changes the middle button between "view on map" and "directions", if you shrink the window on your laptop, you can make it change to "directions" and clicking this will open Google maps with the point pinned based on the coordinates, rather than "view on map" which opens the eircode map itself, which you can't get coordinates or much other info from.

In terms of the formatting, I think they definitely could have done this better, when you see a postcode in London for example, you've a good idea where on the map it is, this isn't the case with eircode ;(

Advertisement