Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evil 2017

Options
  • 18-12-2016 5:05pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Very early doors on this but since the Wicklow 200 2017 is already up and this is the day before thought I'd put this up.

Alek made the following post when daragh_ suggested a 286km / 5400m elevation route.
    Alek wrote: »

286km / 5400m elevation

... still technically a 200! :D

How about a 200km route with 5400m elevation? I dont know the roads well enough to suggest a route and I'm a follower more than anything.

Keep it 200km but with the most ascending possible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Here's a proposal (228k with 4,735m) suggested by Crocked last year - I made a few changes to start/finish it in Dundrum.

There is almost no repetition except for a km or so south of Laragh. Perhaps somone could adjust it to bring it over 5,000m.

https://www.strava.com/routes/7209259

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Here's a proposal (228k with 4,735m) suggested by Crocked last year - I made a few changes to start/finish it in Dundrum.

There is almost no repetition except for a km or so south of Laragh. Perhaps somone could adjust it to bring it over 5,000m.

Any dodgy segments along that route?

Just thinking a lap around the Devil's Glen would easily bring it over 5,000m without repetition but would also add to the distance.

godtabh wrote: »
    Any dodgy segments along that route?
    Do you mean dodgy as it difficult?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Do you mean dodgy as it difficult?

No as in dangerous. Some of the rough descents were unpleasant

• Advertisement

No as in dangerous. Some of the rough descents were unpleasant
    I think it's pretty ok. I know most of the route except for The Lamb.

....Some of the rough descents were unpleasant
    Not as unpleasant as some of the ascents!

Not as unpleasant as some of the ascents!

falling off doing 0km/h is better than at 50km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

finishing with the Lamb & Slademoore i see ....
    know them well from over here in Leixlip
    seems like good route WA, have to try and make it this yr:)

devonp wrote: »
    ... have to try and make it this yr:)
    Great stuff. Usually begins at 6am under Luas bridge in Dundrum. It'll loosen out your legs for the WW200.

• Advertisement

Great stuff. Usually begins at 6am under Luas bridge in Dundrum. It'll loosen out your legs for the WW200.

I usually have to start a lot earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

You could just do the first 160km of last years route and it would be still harder than the MB or W200 or any other regular sportive I can think of in these parts. 300km audaxs not included obviously.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

What is the date this year?

CramCycle wrote: »
    What is the date this year?
    If we're doing the WW200 as a recovery ride, it will have to be 10th June.

Otherwise any date in June/July when there is plenty of daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

No Kippure or Turlough Hill? Pffffft

Daroxtar wrote: »
    No Kippure or Turlough Hill? Pffffft
    They're dead ends! We're trying to avoid repetition. Otherwise we could spend the 200k going up and down Kilmashogue Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I should put myself down to do this, 6 months should be enough time to come up with a good excuse to bail before the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

They're dead ends! We're trying to avoid repetition. Otherwise we could spend the 200k going up and down Kilmashogue Lane.

37 Kilmashogues for an Everest, only 183km. You could cycle home afterwards to get over the 200 :D

Crocked wrote: »
    I should put myself down to do this..
    I'd expect no less - it's your route after all! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Any route that has the Lamb at the end is properly Evil. I'm in for whatever you plan. Alea iacta est.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

With no better New Year's resolutions in mind, I hereby declare to train for Evil whether my family holidays will wipe it from the schedule or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Note to oneself.......look at this thread once in January....

Date in Calendar, warning given to family. Pre planning in order. For a change, I may be there.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Date in Calendar, warning given to family.....
    Steady on - nothing confirmed yet!

(What warning did you give to the family? - 'I'm just going outside, I may be some time' :D)

Steady on - nothing confirmed yet!

(What warning did you give to the family? - 'I'm just going outside, I may be some time' :D)

i figured better to just book now and if everyone picks a different date, i can just use that as my excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

So this is what you do when you are not out cycling - concocting tourtuous routes for those innocent enough to consider following you. Would you not get back on the bike and try for 21,000km?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

24 hour rides are the new 200 kms.

Just sayin'. Just putting it out there.

So this is what you do when you are not out cycling - concocting tourtuous routes for those innocent enough to consider following you. Would you not get back on the bike and try for 21,000km?
    LOL :D That route was concocted by Crocked (not me) to get maximum elevation for circa. 200k without retracing anywhere. There's only about 1km of repetition whereas the other Evil routes had lots.

BTW - you will be expected at the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    24 hour rides are the new 200 kms.

Just sayin'. Just putting it out there.

I did have a route similar to last year but with a trip to Mount Leinster as a fun addition.

That would take the guts of 24 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

You could just do the first 160km of last years route and it would be still harder than the MB or W200 or any other regular sportive I can think of in these parts. 300km audaxs not included obviously.

Ahem. I have this on my Garmin!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99953343&postcount=124

Advertisement