Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evil 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

At least I am consistent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

daragh_ wrote: »
    I did have a route similar to last year but with a trip to Mount Leinster as a fun addition.

That would take the guts of 24 hours.

Sounds good. Up to the mast?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

BTW - you will be expected at the start line.

No problem with the start line (other than the crazy start time). It's the finish line and all the bits in between that are terrifying. eek.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No problem with the start line (other than the crazy start time). It's the finish line and all the bits in between that are terrifying. eek.png

At the end of the day you do what you can. No one here is as mad as daragh_

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The only spin I don't like going downhill on, as you know its purely done to facilitate going uphill more.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

godtabh wrote: »
    No as in dangerous. Some of the rough descents were unpleasant
    I think it's pretty ok. I know most of the route except for The Lamb.

By all accounts the descent off the Lamb is a bit crap. Poor surface and a good deal of gravel. I know it was red flagged for the cyclists that had to do it on the race around Ireland on 2 teams I crewed with the last 2 years, in particular last year as the poor bastard who had to go up and down it had never done it before!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Sounds good. Up to the mast?

You can't go all that way and not do the last bit!

cython wrote: »
    By all accounts the descent off the Lamb is a bit crap. Poor surface and a good deal of gravel. I know it was red flagged for the cyclists that had to do it on the race around Ireland on 2 teams I crewed with the last 2 years, in particular last year as the poor bastard who had to go up and down it had never done it before!

It's not that bad - I'm a brutal descender and I've done it at a fair clip. Rough surface but ok if you excercise caution.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You can. I have. :)

Possibly down that way for new years, so might try and make the top this time. Are there bonus points available for doing it with a hangover?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

It's not that bad - I'm a brutal descender and I've done it at a fair clip. Rough surface but ok if you excercise caution.

Fair enough, as I said I only actually know it based off reputation as despite cycling over that way a bit, have never been up it. That being said, the fact that both descents were done at night may not have helped things..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Here's a proposal (228k with 4,735m) suggested by Crocked last year - I made a few changes to start/finish it in Dundrum.

There is almost no repetition except for a km or so south of Laragh. Perhaps somone could adjust it to bring it over 5,000m.

https://www.strava.com/routes/7209259

Any chance we could get in Lake drive at the start of the day instead of the end. That road is brutal when you are tired and you can not get water as the shops are always closed. At least finishing the other way you have plenty of shops open that time of year.

cython wrote: »
    Fair enough, as I said I only actually know it based off reputation as despite cycling over that way a bit, have never been up it. That being said, the fact that both descents were done at night may not have helped things..... :D

It's a nasty little climb both ways - properly evil!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

:o I had to walk the last bit...it's my white whale.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Any chance we could get in Lake drive at the start of the day instead of the end. That road is brutal when you are tired and you can not get water as the shops are always closed. At least finishing the other way you have plenty of shops open that time of year.
    I agree wholeheartedly. It's my most detested piece of road.

Feel free to re-plot the route accordingly.

The route referred to by Unknown Soldier a few posts back has it fairly early on.

https://www.strava.com/routes/5290293

EDIT: I've just realised it's your route! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The route referred to by Unknown Soldier a few posts back has it fairly early on.

Lake Drive is best enjoyed after going over Sally Gap and the Wicklow gap and before going back over Sally Gap for the final time, it adds just the right amount of evilness......

I think i have a way of getting in the 5000m climbing. I'll give it a try today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I think i have a way of getting in the 5000m climbing. I'll give it a try today.

Today?

CramCycle wrote: »
    Today?

I wish.
    I meant getting in the 5000m on a strava route.
    I've tried but i can't change the route to 5000m without repeating some of the route or taking it over about 230km. It would have to come down Cunard road descent for the second time, down to Brittas and up Seksin and back to Rathfarnham through Tallaght.

I wish.
    I meant getting in the 5000m on a strava route.
    I've tried but i can't change the route to 5000m without repeating some of the route or taking it over about 230km. It would have to come down Cunard road descent for the second time, down to Brittas and up Seksin and back to Rathfarnham through Tallaght.

I would not be opposed to a minimal amount of repeating if it gets more height per km but closer to the 200km metric.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

On the way down Algour there's a right turn with a short but vicious climb https://www.strava.com/segments/7997363
    that'll add in some meters, then at Cunard head right uphill to the T junction then turn back left to the start of the Piperstown climb. Won't get you over the 5k but will help
    You Coul also descend Bohernabreena to the start of this segment Ballymaice Lane https://www.strava.com/segments/11298203 and come back almost at the Algour turnoff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

This open to anyone?

What are the requirements to gain entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Whyner wrote: »

Insanity

Whyner wrote: »
    This open to anyone?
    Sort of, once you can meet the cpst requirements on the day.
    Your soul, pay on the day thing though.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Insanity

Of the membrane or kick your mother-in-law into a fast flowing river?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Insanity
    ...and a bike.

AFAIK it's officially unofficial. No support cars, no food stops, no broomwagon. Just a small group of cyclists who happen to be travelling the same route.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Sort of, once you can meet the cpst requirements on the day.
    Your soul, pay on the day thing though.

Sounds deadly but I feel like I'd be busting in unannounced on a game of soggy biscuit

On the way down Algour there's a right turn with a short but vicious climb https://www.strava.com/segments/7997363

Not that way, I've the KOM on that segment.

But seriously if it got the route over 5000m , then its a beautiful place to cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

strava generally overestimates the height climbed when you create a route so you'd need 5000+ to avoid falling short....

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Christ lads.. that's ferocious talk of gain and distance for a fella facing into turkey ham and stuffing sambos for 2 weeks!

• Advertisement

Updated route. No repeated climbs and just 5000m. Around laragh is a bit similar to this year except for the Clara vale section

https://www.strava.com/routes/7220904

Advertisement