Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evil 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Updated route. No repeated climbs and just 5000m. Around laragh is a bit similar to this year except for the Clara vale section

https://www.strava.com/routes/7220904

Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Updated route. No repeated climbs and just 5000m. Around laragh is a bit similar to this year except for the Clara vale section

Updated again. About 6km off it without loss of elevation. Now its 224 km. I made a mistake in by bringing it down as far as Aughrim when its not needed. Now from Rathdrum, its just the usual loop back to Laragh around the triple loop of evil segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Turn left at 199.3 to reemerge at 201.3 and you'll be surely over 5,000m.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Updated again. About 6km off it without loss of elevation. Now its 224 km. I made a mistake in by bringing it down as far as Aughrim when its not needed. Now from Rathdrum, its just the usual loop back to Laragh around the triple loop of evil segment.
    What's the story with the little off road bit at the Featherbeds (210k) - is it a glitch?

What's the story with the little off road bit at the Featherbeds (210k) - is it a glitch?

Yes. i done this last night on my tablet so there might be a few little glitches but i'm sure everyone will use there judgement not to go off road. Looks like another one at 17km. Perhaps a bit more cleaning up for me to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

With vague hope of doing it myself, and having only cycled in wicklow a couple of times while vastly underprepared, I've made an attempt at something.

It does have 4 dead ends though, most at the start to get in a bit of early climbing. I've probably included roads which are not allowed too due to said unfamiliarity.

https://www.strava.com/routes/7226391

Weepsie wrote: »
    With vague hope of doing it myself, and having only cycled in wicklow a couple of times while vastly underprepared, I've made an attempt at something.

It does have 4 dead ends though, most at the start to get in a bit of early climbing. I've probably included roads which are not allowed too due to said unfamiliarity.

https://www.strava.com/routes/7226391
    Oooh - Kippure after 200k - properly evil! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Incidentally, Audax Ireland will soon publish a 'Super 600' which is 600km with >10,000m of climbing and a 50 hour time limit.

Just in case ye are thinking this is all a bit lame...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Incidentally, Audax Ireland will soon publish a 'Super 600' which is 600km with >10,000m of climbing and a 50 hour time limit.

No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Whyner

What did you guys manage last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I'm worn out just reading about Evil 2017.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Whyner wrote: »

ask darragh_

cdaly_ wrote: »

Sounds interesting. Keep us posted.

dahat wrote: »
    I'm worn out just reading about Evil 2017.

I think it's best we don't over do it with too many km's this year or climbs at the end that are too hard. 220 with about 4800 m of climbing is a hard day out and last year the thread got very quite towards d-day. Some were obviously put off by the scale of it and some just couldn't make it.

I'm for the more the merrier and of course enjoying a tough day. The more that do it, the more chance everybody has of finishing it.

Whyner wrote: »
    Did not finish! :(

https://www.strava.com/activities/672812717

...I'm for the more the merrier and of course enjoying a tough day. The more that do it, the more chance everybody has of finishing it.
    +1

It's a bit ridiculous that only one person managed to finish this year. Daragh_ you're a savage!

+1

It's a bit ridiculous that only one person managed to finish this year. Daragh_ you're a savage!

While daragh is undoubtedly a hard cnut, he was under instructions from his wife not to return home till he completed because he's talked about it that much in the build up. She sounds like a great woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

While daragh is undoubtedly a hard cnut, he was under instructions from his wife not to return home till he completed because he's talked about it that much in the build up. She sounds like a great woman.
    Hang on. Didn't the same man once say that once you've completed it "nobody will care"?😂

Luxman wrote: »
    Hang on. Didn't the same man once say that once you've completed it "nobody will care"?😂

They'll still be talking about it on this forum when The Evil 2050 is being organised.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They'll still be talking about on this forum when The Evil 2050 is being organised.

The search parties will probably still be looking for this years contingent the way it's looking.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    The search parties will probably still be looking for this years contingent the way it's looking.

I think it's important that people realise the enormity of what they are undertaking. Know your limits.

The heat last year pushed me to the extreme. Never got close to finishing it but with 200km + and 4000m of climbing it was still one of the best things I did on the bike this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I think that the 2015 edition was among my 2-3 best rides ever. I regret not doing the 2016, yet still randomly meeting the krazy krew in Rathdrum was cool ;) Looking forward the 2017....

So here's the final cut for this years edition unless someone has any changes to make to it. Mostly the same route as a few months ago but instead of the long slog from Enniskerry-Glencree-Featherbeds, on bad surfaced and dodgy roads with cars trying to overtake you, i've changed it to go up Powerscourt waterfall road. The route is more scenic and at that time of the evening it should be fairly quiet.

All we need now is a date

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Could put up a poll if people suggest a few dates but I presume the main one is the 3rd/4th June as it is the week before the WW200

CramCycle wrote: »
    Could put up a poll if people suggest a few dates but I presume the main one is the 3rd/4th June as it is the week before the WW200

Is it not usually the Saturday of the w200? The 4/5th is the bank holiday weekend. I'm not around

June 10th? Early start.

daragh_ wrote: »
    June 10th? Early start.

Sounds good.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

daragh_ wrote: »
    June 10th? Early start.

I'm cycling Cork to Roscommon that weekend so I might try it a bit earlier or bit later

• Advertisement

I'm fine with the 10th

Advertisement