Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evil 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Suits me better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'm fine with 10th too, as for now.

So this is the final route?

https://www.strava.com/routes/7220904

(Just checking, seems more than fine to me. Except the Lake Drive of course :P )

My commute to and from the start point is 150m climbing so should gegt me over the 5000km for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

CramCycle wrote: »
    My commute to and from the start point is 150m climbing so should gegt me over the 5000km for the day.

5000km?!?! Is that distance, climbing, or combined? :P

• Advertisement

5000km?!?! Is that distance, climbing, or combined? :P

Well played, 5000m, so taking it handy

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭smcclaw

Better check the diary... this sounds like as good reason as any to get out of bed early on a Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

After lakeshore drive you could turn left onto this segment https://www.strava.com/segments/11543245 — Ho Chi Minh Trail West - full Climb
    Saves you 2 km but gains you 60m elevation ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Daroxtar wrote: »
    After lakeshore drive you could turn left onto this segment https://www.strava.com/segments/11543245 — Ho Chi Minh Trail West - full Climb
    Saves you 2 km but gains you 60m elevation ;)

The only time I did that was the 2014 evil. Wicklow must be running out of dodgy roads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

godtabh wrote: »
    The only time I did that was the 2014 evil. Wicklow must be running out of dodgy roads

Dodgy it is so....you could also turn up towards Ballynultagh Gap on this segment https://www.strava.com/segments/9151783
    Avoiding some of Lakeshore Drive, saving another 3km and gaining another 66m

I dont even know why I'm in this thread. The Orwell Randonee will probably break me and if there's anything left MB200 will finish the job. This Evil thing is demented!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Dodgy it is so....you could also turn up towards Ballynultagh Gap on this segment https://www.strava.com/segments/9151783
    That's a pig of a road and sowed the seed which led to me losing the mental battle to continue on last year's evil. (It was in the other direction)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

2014 as well! There appears to be a finite number of vague segments in Wicklow that we are getting to the end off. On the day it's self it doesn't matter. We'll be too wrecked to care where we are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Thud

Alek wrote: »
    So this is the final route?

https://www.strava.com/routes/7220904

(Just checking, seems more than fine to me. Except the Lake Drive of course :P )

Was looking at the profile and was wondering why there was a flattish bit then saw it was lakeshore drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I will mark it as a "possible" for now....:cool:
    I have till the 9th of June to make an excuse.......

• Registered Users Posts: 45 rappid

Hi all,
    I was thinking about Evil200 since 2014. Looks like great and tough route. Toughest Ireland event? ;)
    Is there any official website? What's the final date? Meeting point?
    Since that event is self supported, could you please point me (on the final Evil200 route)
    places where I can stop and get some water?
    I will be traveling from Cork.

Regards, Seb.

Any where there is a shop there is a water stop! Last couple of years Larragh has been a stopping point to re-feul etc but depending on the weather you may need to do it more often than not.

The date is the Saturday before the Wicklow 200

rappid wrote: »
    ....I will be traveling from Cork....
    Fcukin hell - that's going to be a long day in the saddle! :D

On a serious note, I think the first 100k or so may be a bit awkward for anyone who starts really early as there will be very limited opportunity to get food until Laragh. 100k might not seem that much but there is over 2,000m of climbing in that. Might be advisable to take a slight detour into Blessington around the 60k mark.

rappid wrote: »
    Is there any official website? What's the final date? Meeting point?
    Since that event is self supported, could you please point me (on the final Evil200 route).....
    Traditionally held on the day before the WW200 (June 10th this year) to enable riders to loosen out their legs on the WW200 the following day but it can be done on any day you choose. Advisable to do it in summer though as you'll run out of light. No website as it's a totally informal event and most of us have to still finish last year's route.

2017 route - https://www.strava.com/routes/7220904

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

I started my winter training for this yesterday. 45km - Fairview to Howth, 3 climbs and back home.

Mick Byrne 160 at the end of May will tell me if I have the legs for the Evil. Hope to make it and see lots of other nutters there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 garys27

Is this happening June 4th? Where will we meet up and at what start point?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

June 10, day before the WW200

Under the Dundrum LUAS bridge / beside the educational supplies shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

7am under the bridge at Dundrum?

Left at 8 last year and could have done with the extra hour of light at the end.

6am anyone?

6am anyone?

That's usually when I start

I could do that and let Daragh catch up with us.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I could do that and let Daragh catch up with us.

It is soul destroying see him catch up and take off leaving you for dust!

We could just make up a file for strava, sit at home and wait till he posts here and then stick it up showing us at least an hour ahead the whole day?

We could just make up a file for strava, sit at home in Johnny Fox and wait till he posts arrives here

FTFY

• Advertisement

FTFY

On my spin on Sunday I planned to finish off in Johnny Foxes. Wife and family weren't due home for a while.

Got to the Timbertrove Cafe and stopped. After that the motivation went and I just went home. Not going to make that mistake again!

Advertisement