Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evil 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

I think a 22kph average is very doable this year as we do not have the 4 really steep short climbs of last year,(cunard,the wall,red lane,clara vale) and a few dodgy descents that came with them. This year has 2 new longer climbs to replace them and mostly good roads to descend on and i think getting lake drive out of the way towards the start will help keep the average up.

Last year was more for the hard men(man/Daragh) and i think this year suits the climbers more.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I did some of the route at the weekend. The first 50km or so is savage with well over 1000m of climbing.

THe climbs are long and steady with nothing like the Vale of Avoca in it which suited me. Getting lost was my biggest issue.

godtabh wrote: »
    I did some of the route at the weekend. The first 50km or so is savage with well over 1000m of climbing.

THe climbs are long and steady with nothing like the Vale of Avoca in it which suited me. Getting lost was my biggest issue.

Where did you got lost? Was it in the first 50 km

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

When I got to Larragh for the first time. My garmin kept telling me I was going to wrong way no matter which way I went. Went on memory then which wasnt great either

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Hi,

Could someone post a link to the route again?

And if it includes Glencree to Sallygap then we should consider a rerouting, especially if we'd be going north from the gap. The resurfacing work has made the road a disaster.

• Advertisement

sbs2010 wrote: »
    Hi,

Could someone post a link to the route again?

And if it includes Glencree to Sallygap then we should consider a rerouting, especially if we'd be going north from the gap. The resurfacing work has made the road a disaster.

https://www.strava.com/routes/7220904

It doesn't go up that stretch of road this year so we are fine but I'm sure the road works will be finished by then anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I thought the route has been modified for 5000k elevation at some stage?

Alek wrote: »

Not that I can remember. I'm on my phone now so I'll double check when I get back but I'm sure that's it. I can throw in a loop of cruagh/stocking if you want but I think I'll be happy with that amount.

No worries, I can always throw in 15 reps of Ticknock.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

godtabh wrote: »
    When I got to Larragh for the first time. My garmin kept telling me I was going to wrong way no matter which way I went. Went on memory then which wasnt great either

Garmins without maps but that have routing eg the Edge 500, often have issues when you have a route that goes over itself. It can often jump forward to a further point in the map and then tell you that you are lost when you continue on the right way. Normally it will self correct but this can often take a few minutes or km.

• Advertisement

I never use routing on Garmins for this reason, tried and found it a sketchy feature at best even on E800.

I simply upload the GPX file and make it visible as a red line, then follow if visually on the map.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Alek wrote: »

My suggestion did, as it included Kippure right at the end

https://www.strava.com/routes/7226391

CramCycle wrote: »
    Garmins without maps but that have routing eg the Edge 500, often have issues when you have a route that goes over itself. It can often jump forward to a further point in the map and then tell you that you are lost when you continue on the right way. Normally it will self correct but this can often take a few minutes or km.

It was an edge 1000

Kippure at the end is not a bad idea! I'll see when I get there, it wasn't so scary at all at the end of MB200 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

Good news: did it
    Bad news: doesn't come near the 5000m mark

had a Garmin glitch at Belarmine just 4-5 Km in so went up to Lambs at the end to make this up.
    stopped in Blessington for water coffee and a repair to my rear caliper; big thanks to TOMS BIKE shop
    stopped again Laragh(first pass) for more food etc and then briefly in Rathdrum and then for a decent sit down meal in Heathers, Laragh(second pass) where i cramped badly at the table...

was lucky with the weather avoided much of the rain, sheltered briefly to avoid 2 large heavy showers

this was my first Evil and i know its much less than last yrs route, but i guess the experienced Evilers will want to do 5000m so Irishrover99 might have to add in a bit!! but as this years guinea-pig(i think) i was following the route given

thanks to IrishRover99 for the drawing up the route( i put it into ridewithgps and edited some of the little glitches i saw)
    i did it with a 52/36 front and 12-27 rear, the 36/27 got lots of use!!

safe cycling next week and enjoy the extra 500m

here ya go
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1019743074

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Good stuff. Well done.

Great stuff devonp!!!

I have 5000m OCD this time so will need to top it up...

I've done 2015 Evil on 34/27 and had massive cramps near the end. Since I've eased the gearing no more problems like that...

Well done Devon. Great spin. I've done that route a few times on different tracking big websites and it's usuall always around the 4750 meter mark.

I cannot manage to get it above 5000 without going up dead ends or it going over 230 km which is then making it too hard for a lot of people and then we will have a small turn out like last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Well done Devon. Great spin. I've done that route a few times on different tracking big websites and it's usuall always around the 4750 meter mark.

I cannot manage to get it above 5000 without going up dead ends or it going over 230 km which is then making it too hard for a lot of people and then we will have a small turn out like last year.

think that point is key, their will be some who love idea of the mad challenge, but yes it needs to be doable time wise, last years was just madness.

manafana wrote: »
    just madness.

Is that not the point?

"Vous êtes des assassins! Oui, des assassins!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

daragh_ wrote: »
    Is that not the point?

"Vous êtes des assassins! Oui, des assassins!'

then you wonder why no one turns up, its not an audax its a climbing challenge

Dude - i think you might be taking this too seriously :D It's a really elaborate excuse to go for at least 3 coffees.

See you there hopefully.

daragh_ wrote: »
    Dude - i think you might be taking this too seriously :D It's a really elaborate excuse to go for at least 3 coffees.

See you there hopefully.

I thought it was to work on our tans?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Plan to start this ; what time are most people setting off at?

Looks like it will be a damp start, warming up later. Plenty of time to dry out.

Not sure if ill be there for bang on 7 so could be about 15-20 minutes late. If so ill bypass the meeting point and catch up with you's hopefully before Wicklow Gap.

Not sure if ill be there for bang on 7 so could be about 15-20 minutes late. If so ill bypass the meeting point and catch up with you's hopefully before Wicklow Gap.

Don't mind starting at 7:30 if that suits you better?

Considering the rain i may also start 7:30. No point getting wet for 1.5h longer than the rest.

Yeah that's fine. Give me more time to get the kids sorted before i'm out the door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭smcclaw

7.30 works for me.

Is the start the same as previous years under the bridge in Dundrum? Sorry, didn't see it earlier in the thread.

Advertisement