Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evil 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Hard Day for me. Cramps and Back Pain from 80k onwards. Felt sick, hard to eat and drink. Worst day on the bike for a long time.

That said the route was excellent and the company exceptional. Hard Men the lot of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Chapeau lads...
    I never made the start time but went to Laragh my usual way into the head wind was hard work cant imagine the full Evil..
    Hopefully youse factored up! 21 degrees coming back over Sally gap at lunch time.
    Might do it another less windy day....

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭smcclaw

Gusty wind Great company Surprisingly decent road surfaces Body in limp home mode for the last 35km First time over 5k climbing! Not enough ice-cream

Can't wait for next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

well done all the Evilers today
    had a short spin to the gap myself, that wind was cruel, forgot the suncream, raw arms now

well done again

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Swanson

Great day and a real pity that only 6 showed up.
    Congratulations to Irishrover for coming with a course that was scenic and challenging but stopped short of murderous.
    Now, does anyone have any recommendations for a sore, eh, saddle region apart from HTFU?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Swanson wrote: »
    Great day and a real pity that only 6 showed up.
    Congratulations to Irishrover for coming with a course that was challenging but stopped short of murderous.
    Now, does anyone have any recommendations for a sore, eh, saddle region apart from HTFU?

6 is a great number for a self supported non sanctioned event.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

No Evil for me yesterday nor today. Kids gave me a rough night, so settled on 100km/2000m ride instead, in rain and brutal headwind - I thought I fly off Kippure! Passing a car park on Military Road i came across a car cordoned off by Garda, later today the road has been closed - apparently human remains have been found.. Enough for a murderous spin for me.

Evil will commence this week hopefully, if i get a day off from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Hope it's going well for all doing the E200. Was down in Wicklow hillwalking and once the clouds blew away it was great. That SW wind can't have too pleasant on the outward leg. Well done all.

We got to Laragh nearly averaging 23 kph in to those winds so i think we went out a bit fast,it actually flew by. The planned water stop turned into a coffee stop as a result.

The Evils motley crew

The other boardsie(2406r) was gone already when we took this photo. He also said he planned on doing the w200 the next day so would love to know how he got on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The Evils motley crew
    .....and no Boards gear in sight! WTF?

• Advertisement

We got to Laragh nearly averaging 23 kph in to those winds so i think we went out a bit fast,it actually flew by. The planned water stop turned into a coffee stop as a result.

It was a real eye opener for me, on the effects of fatigue and fuelling.

The defining moment of Saturday for me actually took place on Thursday evening when I decided taking part in a race up to the Sally Gap in a Thunderstorm would be a good idea. It wasn't. And cycling home soaked to the bone afterwards was an even worse idea.

Felt ok on Friday. Didn't eat enough though.

Saturday AM I was full of beans. No sign of the really bad rain, woke early and ready to go. Happy out - despite cracking my lovely new bottle cages. All was going well but as soon as we hit Lake Drive - around the 80k mark - I started to get a lot of back pain and leg cramps. The back thing I can usually ride through but then I just started to drop power. Not a full blown bonk exactly - I could still keep going, but it felt like my internal engines were running at half capacity. I kept drinking and fuelling - Irishrover very kindly gave me an electrolyte tab which helped - but by the time we hit the Greenane Ramp I was out the back.

Just looking at my Strava times and it took me twice as long on the SE and Slieve Mann as normal.

My clubmate who was out with us very kindly hung back and waited for me in Laragh with a Can of Coke and the best bag of Salt and Vinegar crisps I've ever tasted.

Got a second wind after that and we made decent enough time over the Gap. The last section was just a miserable grind.

Some days the Cycling Gods just want you to suffer. Guess it was my turn :D

.....and no Boards gear in sight! WTF?

Mine is so worn it's indecent. There was enough suffering going on without inflicting that on everyone.

daragh_ wrote: »

All was going well but as soon as we hit Lake Drive - around the 80k mark - I started to get a lot of back pain and leg cramps. The back thing I can usually ride through but then I just started to drop power.:D

When we regrouped before the Wicklow gap i could see you were suffering with your back and you just said no i'm not feeling good, i honestly thought you were in trouble so big respect for finishing the day.

I think getting lake drive out of the way at the start is a good idea because it flew by and once you hit laragh for the second time you are nearly home.

This is going to sound a bit mad but I might try it again around September - if we get a nice day and I get a pass.

I don't make any post-Everesting declarations, but................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

The Evils motley crew

The other boardsie(2406r) was gone already when we took this photo. He also said he planned on doing the w200 the next day so would love to know how he got on.

Ah here, there isn't an ounce of fat on any of you! Not even a mini-moob! If my mum ever met any of you she'd be in feed'ster overload heaven!

Well done to all of you though, some day on the bike. You should be well chuffed with yourselves, and rightly so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

daragh_ wrote: »
    This is going to sound a bit mad but I might try it again around September - if we get a nice day and I get a pass.

If I get a pass I'd do it (or try and dot it)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 2406r

Thanks for setting up the route Irishrover99 - nice road surfaces on quiet roads apologies for not waiting for you at the Glencree turn off - I stopped a little down the road but thought that you had decided to go on up the Liam Horner with the others. It was a good day out but

• Registered Users Posts: 21 2406r

1. I knew I was going to be dropped when I had trouble keeping up coming out of Dundrum at the start
    2. It is too hard to decide to go up the Liam Horner when the alternative is a brisk 30 minutes to home
    3. By leaving out the last bit it was 199.7 km for the day - so instead of an evil 200 it was just a bad 199.7 km
    4. The WW 200 was handy enough after that

Does it count if I redesign a route a bit due to the road closure? https://www.strava.com/routes/9096820

• Advertisement

Alek wrote: »
    Does it count if I redesign a route a bit due to the road closure? https://www.strava.com/routes/9096820

are you doing it this week?

Perhaps on Thursday

I heard on the news last night that the roads are due open today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Other than Strava has anyone another format of the route as I'm not sure how to load it onto my garmin (820)..
    Ive saved it as a course from a gpx file in the past.
    I know most of the roads but rather than kill off my phone...

2406r wrote: »
    1. I knew I was going to be dropped when I had trouble keeping up coming out of Dundrum at the start
    2. It is too hard to decide to go up the Liam Horner when the alternative is a brisk 30 minutes to home
    3. By leaving out the last bit it was 199.7 km for the day - so instead of an evil 200 it was just a bad 199.7 km
    4. The WW 200 was handy enough after that

Great to hear you done the W200 as well. I'm sure it was nice and relaxing compared to the evil.
    As for getting dropped, you were only behind us at Laragh first time and then you beat us back the second time. I never went up Liam horner and had to stop at the scalp petrol station at the fork in the road, you passed me then as i had gone the easier direction.

Great to hear you done the W200 as well. I'm sure it was nice and relaxing compared to the evil.
    As for getting dropped, you were only behind us at Laragh first time and then you beat us back the second time. I never went up Liam horner and had to stop at the scalp petrol station at the fork in the road, you passed me then as i had gone the easier direction.

Well done 2406r!

When we got to the Liam Horner monument we pulled up to have some water - getting back on was utter torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

Other than Strava has anyone another format of the route as I'm not sure how to load it onto my garmin (820)..
    Ive saved it as a course from a gpx file in the past.
    I know most of the roads but rather than kill off my phone...

i imported it into ridewithgps and then downloaded as a .tcx to my Garmin

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21751600

godtabh wrote: »
    are you doing it this week?

This week my arse. Feel weak as jelly after some kind of infection. This year's Evil is seriously jinxed for me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

devonp wrote: »
    i imported it into ridewithgps and then downloaded as a .tcx to my Garmin

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21751600

Did exactly that with another much shorter ride recently but, every time I tried to use it on my Garmin 705, it froze and I had to power the Garmin on and off. Have taken to redrawing routes on ridewithgps and saving as a .tcx and that works fine.

• Advertisement

Just finished Evil 200 Extended Base Camp Edition - 5300m+ elevation. Thrown in Ticknock and Turlough, will write more later tonight, after putting kids to bed

Advertisement